Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! Well, I've ran the course of my "Jaguar phase" and have recently jumped back into the MB world, and it's looking more and more "headfirst" as I research!
As the title suggests, I recently came across a 1972 280SEL in really good shape overall. I am having a little trouble though, finding some sort of service manual for the vehicle, any suggestions?
Everything was running perfectly when I got home, but while moving it in the driveway I applied the brake and apparently "something" blew. Car just quit, and wouldn't start again. My first thought was that some relay/fuse blew, and since I am still getting spark, I believe that is the issue. I have found that there is a fuel pump relay, but I cannot find the location. All the fuses in the cabin are good, but none of them seem relative.
Without a manual, I'm not sure where I should check for fuel delivery.
Any information would be greatly appreciated as I have not been able to find anything specific in the forums. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you search the forum for "Fuel Pump Relay" you'll find many usefull threads about this same issue, including this one. Click here

I found a Chilton on ebay for about $10 that is a good basic repair guide which includes all the wiring diagrams. Try rolling all your fuses to clean any corrosion or replace them with newer copper style. I believe fuse 4 powers the fuel pump relay. I'll have to check for certain when i get home from work.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Albeit very, very late, thanks for the reply!
Last year everything got really hectic and other projects got moved to the front burner. I have yet to fix the 280 issue but after reading the information you suggested I feel I am well prepared to try and tackle whatever may present itself this weekend.
I will let you know what I discover.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, finally got everything sorted out. Car runs fantastic (voltage regulator made the fuel pump fuse blow) and I've been driving it every day for the last week with no problems. Air conditioning works (slightly, just takes the edge off, don't now how effective it will be when I move to Savannah for school!) and pretty much everything else is functional.
I had my mechanic (former captain of the Brazilian formula one team) go through and make sure everything running mechanical was running at spec, and the cars got a clean bill of health. He said that he's "never seen one with a drivetrain this good of shape". Got the exhaust worked on a bit, with an exhaust manifold seal being replaced after getting some seriously rusted nuts off and resurfacing both sides. New plugs, Vacuum advance, distributor cap and button, correct plug wires, belts and hoses, power steering flush, front brake lines replaced, and a set of 5 new Michelins. I am happily surprised at how inexpensive the seals for the trunk and windows are, and both the windshield and rear window seals are going to need to be replaced.
The only thing I'm having an issue finding right now is the replacement bulbs for the driving lights, which I THINK are a dealer option.
Now that it is on the road, I am sure to be a frequent site on these forums!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts