Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1988 560SL (previously), 1990 560SEL, 1994 E320 Wagon, 2003 SLK320
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi folks,

i just purchased a 1988 560SL - cabernet exterior / tan interior. it looks beautiful! the previous owner has taken very good care of the vehicle. i had it checked out at silver star motors in vienna, va, and they said it is in excellent condition.

i have a couple of questions --

1) i'm interested in a back (jump) seat for putting car seats. i've seen the one at germanstar.net. has anyone used these? could i get some feedback about them? is there a reason i should go for the fold down version? is there something else you would recommend?

2) the paint is in very good condition except the area where the hard top rests on the back part of the vehicle. i am thinking of getting this touched up -- any thoughts? also, what can i do to prevent this from happening?

3) the becker stereo leaves something to be desired. any suggestions as to what to put in here? ideally, i'd like a tuner/tape deck/cd player with an audio in port (for attaching my iPod - an mp3 player).

4) the vehicle has 108k miles. is there anything i should watch mechanically about this vehicle?

thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
stereo in 560SL

hi folks,

i went to best buy and circuit city looking for a replacement stereo and was told i could get pretty much anything that suited the existing form factor. i was disappointed with most of the offerings, as they had very non-intuitive designs. i like dials for adjusting volume and the station. most of them had convaluted buttons haphazardly laid out. but i did find something from jvc that i liked - a cd player/tuner with an aux input jack. it has a dial for the volume. pressing a button and selecting among the settings for base, treble, etc. lets you use the dial to set the appropriate setting. and radio stations are selected using an up-down left-right click mechanism - pretty reasonable. i also replaced the speakers with a pair of 4" ones from infiniti. the result is very clear sound with more volume. best of all, i have an input jack in the front for my ipod.

i think the next project is getting the back seat. i just have to remember, as much as i want to drive it every day, this is supposed to be my weekend car :).

one very happy 560sl owner :)

·
Registered
1987 560SL
9 Posts
Hi Maverick,

I know just what you mean about the controls on the latest car stereos. We...

Hi Maverick,

I know just what you mean about the controls on the latest car stereos. We replaced a radio that went dead in another vehicle just recently. Did the same as you, went to Best Buy and looked at all they had. We purchased a Pioneer unit. Unfortunately the first one only lasted two days. They replaced it without any trouble and the second one has been fine. My wife's 560SL still has the Becker Grand Prix in it. She's been keeping it original so far, uses an Irock and portable CD player to listen to CD's. Let me know if you get the back seat and what you think of it.

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 560SL
26 Posts
Back Seat Questions

Hi Maverick,

In regards to your question about the rear folding seat in your 560SL, I had one installed several years ago for my 1988 560SL. Trying to put in a car seat is difficult at best. I have two small boys both of whom still need to be in car seats. Neither car seat will fit in the rear seats very well due to the lack of available space (width) in the rear. The car seats are tipped towards the middle and it is virtually impossible to install two car seats side-by-side. Leg room is almost non-existent unless you pull your seat up quite far. If you do decide to purchase one, definitely go with the folding model. You will appreciate still having a package shelf to store things. But I wouldn't recommend purchasing one if you want to install a car seat. It really isn't that safe for your little one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks!

thank you, hank and slbenz, for your input!

i went with a stereo by jvc with a tuner, cd player and aux input jack. it is nice in that it has a traditional knob for adjusting the volume, a rocker button for scanning stations, and preset buttons. i would have been happy with just a tuner and the aux input jack, as all i ever use is my ipod. i believe the cd player works, but i have yet to use it :).

i've held off getting the jump seat. i use the jeep when i am visiting my nieces :).

thanks again!
yash

·
Registered
2001 ML430
19 Posts
rear seat belts without seat?

Would it make sense to install only the rear seat belts without seat? That would leave a bit more room for car seats wouldn't it? I've got 2 kids who use car seats as well (one in a booster seat, one still in forward facing full car seat).

·
Registered
2001 ML430
19 Posts
Why only on weekends?

Why only drive it on weekends?? I drive mine to work! That's why I got it, to make the work commute (and any other traveling where I don't bring the whole family) more pleasant.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I installed the seat belts only for a child seat. Works fine, can't see anyone sitting back there unless a child anyway. Figure I saved some bucks.

John

·
Registered
1984 380SL
509 Posts
For a stereo I highky recommend crutchfield.com. They have a TON of options will get the fit right and have real people in customer support to actually help you with the install. I have our d four systems from them that I installed. I had an issue with an install on a Volvo 740 and they were able to track down a pre amp that was only installed by the factory in a few hundred cars in an illogical place. Mine happened to be one of them They will have options and advice on install. Oh and free returns if you are not happy.

·
Registered
1984 380SL
509 Posts
Too funny. When I popped open the site on my phone this string was sitting on top of the list of strings. I must have inverted the dates on my phone.

I'll keep an eye on the dates going forward

1 - 11 of 11 Posts