Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1990 560 SEC
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After ten years of owning my 1990 560SEC....I decided to get a lower mileage unit and start over. I found another 1990 560SEC with only 97K miles on it. It has a few problems that Id like to resolve asap. The first is the rear suspension has a hollow sound to it. Its very hard to explain but when I hit bumps...the suspension does the job of cushioning but there is a hollow sound to the bumps. Has anybody had this problem? could it be the accumulator in the Self leveling suspenion?

The other problem is with the shifting points in the transmission. from 2nd gear starts to third gear it wont shift unless you go beyond 3,000 RPM. And sometimes it goes from 2nd to third gear and immediatlely back to second. Almost like the tranny has a mind of its own. I tried flushing the tranny oil and replacing the oil. It still has the same problem. Im guessing maybe the vaccum modulator?

Any help in these matters would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
1982 300SD, 2001 f-150 4x4-348,000 passed tha benz!!
426 Posts
I wonder if the kick down switch could be sticking for the second problem? Are the linkages for the throttle well lubricated.

·
Registered
85 AMG 500SEC (Euro), 86 560SL, 73 450SLC, 92 500SEL, 98 S420, 2000 S430, 2001 S500 Designo
32 Posts
Frank,
Both cars look great! Which one is the new addition? The silver one looks to have 3 peice amg wheels and the white on looks like 18" amg chrome. I had the exact same problem with my 500. It would shit up and then immediatley shift back and shift realy late. It just gradually got worse. If I remember right, my mechanic said that the valve body was plugged up. I don't know for sure exactly what he did but it shifts perfectly now. Good luck.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
Where in California (from seeing the number plates on your cars) are you? Can you add the city to your information so it shows below your avatar?

We have lots of enthusuasts in both Nor Cal and So Cal with 560SEC vehicles and we have meet ups/gtg's from time to time. The enthusiasm and knowledge base is stupendous.

My avatar depicts the two I had; I sold the 1990 "Smoke" to a fellow BW member that lives near Tampa FL. a few months ago, who has it. Owning one of them at a time is enough for me. The other one I had since it was pretty new, (the '91 black AMG one).

My wild guess is that your SLS accumulators have gone bad, (often timesd in as low as 60,000 miles they do,) and the ride feels all wrong and too stiff, you will know.

So long as you avoid the white gloved dealer system, the repair cost is not too tragic. If you drain the system though, yourself, be warned - you need to first take out the back seat, and if you are not careful you will have a mess of fluid on your garage floor, don't ask me how I know that.

·
Premium Member
560SEC, 190E, Frontier, 240Z
1,329 Posts
Perhaps the "Bowden" cable is incorrectly adjusted?

Wouldn't that cause it to take 3rd late and it would be very easy to go back to 2nd?

Basically it thinks your foot is WAY deep into the power when in fact you are accelerating normally.

The bracket should be adjusted so there is "just" slack in it at idle.
I like mine with about .125" clearance from the throttle arm.

·
Registered
' 91 350sel, '12 s350, '18 144 sprinter, '08 sl550
328 Posts
2nd the lube linkages, check the kickdown switch under carpet... that seemed to have resolved most my wild shifting problems in my 560sel.......

·
Registered
107 Posts
The other problem is with the shifting points in the transmission. from 2nd gear starts to third gear it wont shift unless you go beyond 3,000 RPM. And sometimes it goes from 2nd to third gear and immediatlely back to second. Almost like the tranny has a mind of its own. I tried flushing the tranny oil and replacing the oil. It still has the same problem. Im guessing maybe the vaccum modulator?

Any help in these matters would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
You may want to read this http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w201-190-class/1361737-diy-mercedes-722-3-722-4-a.html
Mine also flares like yours, but I don't have the "back to 2nd" problem.

·
Registered
1988 560SEC Euro Clone Lorinser Clone
1,572 Posts
Frank,
Both cars look great! Which one is the new addition?
my guess is the smoke silver one

i believe it was for sale a year or so ago down in huntington beach area

it is a nice car

·
Registered
1990 560 SEC
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thank you everybody for the wonderful advise. This forum is awesome!!!! today my blower stopped working....I started freaking out!. I got on the forum and diagnosed the problem to the strip fuse between the firewalls. Problem solved....well sort of....Now I need to find a strip fuse replacement. LOL. . I will work on the bowden cable adjustment, the vaccum modulater and accumulators for the SLS. Anyways you guys are great!

·
Registered
1990 560 SEC
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually the 3 piece AMG RIMS are originally from the white car....I put them on the Smoke silver champagne car yesterday...just in time for my question. My next step is to lower the car only in the front a few inches...Ive been really enjoying the full original suspension of this car. My white SEC was lowered 2 inches and it looked hot! I put the 17" chrome wheels on the white car. A few more things to do, to make it presentable and I will try and sell her. Anybody interested?

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
40,652 Posts
Thank you everybody for the wonderful advise. This forum is awesome!!!! today my blower stopped working....I started freaking out!. I got on the forum and diagnosed the problem to the strip fuse between the firewalls. Problem solved....well sort of....Now I need to find a strip fuse replacement. LOL. . I will work on the bowden cable adjustment, the vaccum modulater and accumulators for the SLS. Anyways you guys are great!
The 'Welcome......' announcement / tutorial on top will help navigate the forum, and to search the forum archive for frequent and previously answered questions.
Cheers

·
Registered
1989 560SEC
2,056 Posts
SexySEC,

If you are getting a thump right behind the rear seats, your SLS hydraulic ram is bad. I had the same problem and replaced the ram and no more thump. If your accumulators were bad your rear would bounce.

Mike

·
Registered
MB 1985 W126 300SEL, 1991 MB W124 260E, 2007 MB W209 CLK200, 1999 Skyline R34 GTT Veilside,
342 Posts
I have the exact same problem after rebuilt my 300SEL gearbox from an Indy. Think iam gonna adjust my bowden cable first since vacuum modulator and kickdown switch is new. Gear would only shift down only when i use the kick down switch....

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
God I want 10's.

·
Registered
85 AMG 500SEC (Euro), 86 560SL, 73 450SLC, 92 500SEL, 98 S420, 2000 S430, 2001 S500 Designo
32 Posts
It would be great to see a close up of those 3-piece wheels. Its a rare opportunity that I get to see a set of those on an SEC. I have a set in my basement, but there is something about seeing them on a car!:bowdown:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts