Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We picked up our new '55 last Tuesday evening (3/29) and by Wednesday afternoon it was towed back to the dealer. Faulty BAS module.

It started with the ABS light on and "excessive brake pad wear" message, then five malfunctions. I was on my way to a meeting so I could not drive directly to the dealer.

These things happen. But what I'm not happy about most is the fact that the part is not available. Apparently the part no. is not in the system and my dealer was told it is unavailable. I won't know until Monday or Tuesday next week (maybe four working days after problem was diagnosed) when M-B will even say when the part can be shipped from Germany.

I this acceptable? My dealer says that if the car is being built they should be getting this part off the production line if necessary and send it immediately.

·
Registered
'14 CLS63 AMG S, '10 GLK350, '03 SL5000
289 Posts
From your post, I'm not sure which part is the culprit, but if it is a Brake Wear Sensor that is inserted into the pads, here are the part numbers. They are available -- I have a set that I obtained by special order from my dealer in Las Vegas.

MBN1715400617 Sensor Quantity=2 List price $20.47
MBN2205400771 Sender Quantity=2 List price $15.52

I'm not sure which is for the front vs. rear without removing a wheel. And I don't know why one is listed as a Sensor and one as a Sender 'cause they are basically the same. Only difference seems to be the length of the wires.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the information.

I forgot to mention in my post that they determined the "BAS" module, which controls the stability systems, as I understand it, failed to communicate properly. It is this module that is unavailable. I would hope they ruled out the brake pad sensor, but I will make sure they heard me when I told them that's what started it all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: Still not fixed and going on five weeks. The Jacksonville Region MBUSA representative got involved, but no real results, other than an "Engineer" will come next week to go over the car.

I'm upset, to say the least. MBUSA's excuse is that it is an "AMG product". BS - it is a Mercedes-Benz product.

Apparently, the problem is a software glitch between the dashboard transmission signals and the rest of the systems. What?

So, I have a brand new car that does not work. Do they offer another car? No. Louisiana lemon law allows four attempts to fix or 90 days before buy-back. MBUSA will not consider replacing the car, even though my dealer has found other cars available. To them, it's fixable. When?

Your text hereYour text hereYour text hereYour text hereYour text here

·
Registered
slk 55
366 Posts
SLK55Rascal, when I read your email, I could not believe that you have to wait 90 days...typically it's only 30 days. Sure enough, the wait is only 30 days in Louisiana. Who told you the wait was 90 days, the dealer or MB? If yes, shame on them! See below...time for you to hire a lawyer!...looks like you are getting a new car! Here in New Jersey, you have to give the manufacturer "one last chance" in writing to fix the car before you can demand a new one...looks like in your state that's not the case.

Louisiana Lemon Law

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, April 30, 2005
Note: The following information was excerpted from a brochure provided by the Louisiana State Bar Association.
This brochure, prepared by the Member Services Committee of the Louisiana State Bar Association, is issued to inform and provide general information, not to advise. If you have a specific legal problem, you should not try to apply or interpret the law without the aid of a trained expert who knows the fact, because the facts may change the application of the law.

In 1984 the Louisiana Legislature enacted Louisiana's "Lemon Law." This law is located in Louisiana Revised Statutes 5:1941 et. seq.

Under this law a consumer who purchases or leases a new motor vehicle for personal, family or household purposes has certain remedies against the manufacturer and seller of the automobile if the vehicle does not conform to an applicable express warranty.

To benefit from this law you must:

Report the nonconformity to the manufacturer or any of its authorized motor vehicle dealers;
Make the motor vehicle available for repair before the expiration of the warranty or during a period of one year following the date of the original delivery of the motor vehicle to you, whichever is the earlier date.
The manufacturer, its agent or its authorized dealer shall make such repairs as are necessary to conform the vehicle to the warranty.

Refund Entitlement
If after four or more attempts within the express warranty term or during a period of one year following the date of the original delivery of the motor vehicle to you, whichever is earlier, the nonconformity has not been repaired or if the vehicle is out of service by reason of repair for a cumulative total of 30 or more days during the warranty period, the manufacturer shall do one of two things:

Replace the motor vehicle with a comparable new motor vehicle, or, at its option;

Accept return of the motor vehicle and refund the full purchase price plus any amounts paid by the consumer at the point of sale, and all collateral costs less a reasonable allowance for use.

Reasonable Allowance For Use
According to the statute, a reasonable allowance for use shall be that directly attributable to use by the consumer prior to the first notice of nonconformity to the manufacturer, agent or dealer and during any subsequent period where the vehicle is not out of service by reason of repair.

Manufacturer's Refusal To Replace Or Refund
If the manufacturer refuses to replace the vehicle or refund the money, first determine if the manufacturer has established an informal dispute settlement procedure. If so, you must follow that procedure before the Lemon Law will apply.

Consult your attorney to be sure you do not waive any of your rights.

Attorney's Fees Entitlement
The statute provides that, if you comply with the requirements of the Lemon Law and you are successful, you are entitled to reasonable attorney's fees actually incurred.
Time Limit For New Vehicle Refund
If you win the case, you must return the nonconforming vehicle and the certificate of title to the manufacturer, who then has 30 days to replace the vehicle or refund your money.

If you win after a decision by the informal dispute settlement procedure, the manufacturer has 30 days after the decision to replace or refund.

Always consult an attorney to make certain of your particular rights and remedies under the law.

For further information, call or write to:
Louisiana State Bar Association
601 St. Charles Avenue
New Orleans, LA 70130-3427
504-566-1600

·
Registered
slk 55
366 Posts
Just curious, who told you that you needed to wait 90 days? I was going to tell you to contact your state representatives and tell them to change the law...having to wait 90 days would pretty much make the law useless to a consumer...being without a car for 30 days is bad enough.

·
Registered
2005 SLK350
49 Posts
SLK55Rascal,
I feel for you I have had mine in the shop twice now, and it bothers the s?#t out of me, first just to replace a flat that ended up taking 10 days when I finally decided to just replace both back tires with a different tire as there were no "Michelin Primacy" tires in the US. This really peeved me as the dealer at no time explained the real situation to me they just kept saying "the tires would be delivered in the next couple of days" finally I got the real story, 10 days later, from the parts manager that the tires were on a boat somewhere in the atlantic and they would arrive within the next 30 days so I told them to just replace both back (at my expense of course) eventhough the one tire only had 1000 miles on it so I could get my car back. Just last week it was in again for a total of 8 days to replace the fuel pump at a different dealer where they began doing the same s?#t as the last dealer of telling me the part would be in a couple of days. I am beginning to wonder if daimler/chrysler is having financial problems and thereby unable to keep adequate inventories here in the US... in any case I hate being lied to [:(!] and if there was a third dealer close I wouldn't go back to this dealer either anyway enough of my rant and I still love the car and hope you get a resolution soon....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The dealer said 90 days and I looked up information on the lemon law in a lawyer's web site and it said 90 days also. But you're right, shark22, it is 30 days!

Thanks, dvanlinge, maybe this is finally the week the car gets fixed. Or, perhaps a new one?

·
Registered
slk 55
366 Posts
SLK55Rascal, let us know what happens now!

·
Registered
slk 55
366 Posts
SLK55Rascal...just curious what happened with your Lemon Law claim.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Goodbye to this car. I have to commend M-B on their resolution. They will take this one back to analyze what the heck is wrong with it and I'm ordering a new car, with a build date of mid July. After 6 1/2 weeks and two attempts to fix, the dealer has offered a very nice loaner until the new 55 arrives.

Even the intervention of a service engineer did not clear the problem. Last week, they drove over 100 test miles and thought the problem was solved. The wife and I finally had a chance to have a nice evening top-down drive, but the next morning drive to work resulted in the same problem. At least I know for sure I want this car, it is awesome.

We just need to decide on the color. She likes Caspian blue, I like Iridium, which was the color of this car. Or maybe Pewter, if the 2006's offer that.

Thanks, Shark, on the heads up with the Lemon Law, but I confirmed that it is indeed 90 days or 4 attempts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts