Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All -

Just recently acquired an 85 380 SL to add to some Bimmers (hope that's not a dirty word here) and have some questions

1) Leather on driver's seat is cracked and seat cushion could use replacement, it's not as firm as passenger seat. What would be the best way to treat the leather? Is there such thing as replacement leather skins? Is there replacement seat cushions

2) Blower motor not working. Fuses are ok. Someone told me a thermostat controls the fan motor? Where do I find the motor leads (connecting plugs) to check for voltage to fan motor? I don't have a service manual yet.

3) Which publisher prints the best manual and where would you purchase it?

4) What is meant by R107?

Thank You

·
Registered
E430T + 300SL (W107)
346 Posts
2) Can't give you any advice how to trouble-shoot but if you need to replace the blower an...

2) Can't give you any advice how to trouble-shoot but if you need to replace the blower and want to save $, look for a used one. I would guess it is the same unit as for some other Mercedes models, maybe the W116 (1973 - 80 S-class) or W126 (1981-90 S-class). In Sweden I paid $50 for a used blower motor for my old 1973 S-class (new price approx $500).

4) 107 is the internal Mercedes-code for the 1971-1989 SL. This codes make it easier to distinguish between different body-style Mercedes with same model number (e.g. 500SL were available in so far 3 body styles). All Mercedes body-styles have this code, usually the model number is WXXX, but in order to distinguish between teh SL and the SLC for the W107 bodystyle, the SL are sometimes referred to as R107 (Roadster), and the SLC C107 (Coupe).

·
Registered
1 Posts
new buyer

Hi,
I'm purchasing an 85 380 sl this week and was wondering if you know of any known problems with this car?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts