Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 1st shipment of the new 2013 GL's have been released Thurs and are rolling out on trucks for delivery to your local dealers now... might consider these "Great Uncles" to the 2013 ML's.. or Grand Pappy's...

Keep the beat !

·
Registered
2012 BMW X5 (totaled by GF, now driving her Lexus RX300)
116 Posts
The 1st shipment of the new 2013 GL's have been released Thurs and are rolling out on trucks for delivery to your local dealers now... might consider these "Great Uncles" to the 2013 ML's.. or Grand Pappy's...

Keep the beat !
Do you think any of them have the 360 degree surround camera? Or is that still a pipe dream?

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Or maybe it's just a trick question - since MB surround view is actually view composite from 4 cameras.... I guess a former Nissan Rogue owner might be concerned with that feature...

·
Registered
2005 ML350, 2008 GL320, 2013 Gl350
234 Posts
Do you think any of them have the 360 degree surround camera? Or is that still a pipe dream?
they have it in Canada under standard equipement.... I looked up the MB USA website and noticed that the U.S customers dont get much standard

·
Registered
116 Posts
they have it in Canada under standard equipment.... I looked up the MB USA website and noticed that the U.S customers don't get much standard
Yeah, well don't get me started....there's other things that you Nanooks of the North get that us poor minions in the U.S. are denied by the tyrants of MBUSA, like the option for AMG body kit for ML350s or the choice of adding the 21" AMG wheels to non-ML63 configs.

And there is one thing we get whether we want it or not, and that is aluminum running boards on the ML550. In Canada, it's still an option, as it should be. Isn't it ridiculous that if you live in the U.S. and want a 2013 ML550 that running board are now standard, meaning you are forced to pay for something that you don't want (on an already expensive upgrade from the ML350), and especially something so many are so vocal about not liking the looks of or how they dirty up your pant leg. And the little rubber things on the step come off too easily, so they are really a bunch of junk. It's simply asinine.

They probably had much inventory of the stupid defective running boards left over from 2012 because so few wanted them, that forcing them onto buyers of ML550 and increasing the MSRP accordingly was one way to get rid of them. Bastards!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeah, well don't get me started....there's other things that you Nanooks of the North get that us poor minions in the U.S. are denied by the tyrants of MBUSA, like the option for AMG body kit for ML350s or the choice of adding the 21" AMG wheels to non-ML63 configs.
The guys up North can also add the double spoke 21" AMG? Totally not fair! That wheel looks awesome and I wanted to see if I can get it as a dealer added option. :bowdown:

·
Registered
116 Posts
The guys up North can also add the double spoke 21" AMG? Totally not fair! That wheel looks awesome and I wanted to see if I can get it as a dealer added option. :bowdown:
You like wheels? Go website of MB Cypress here:

Mercedes-Benz Cyprus - Mercedes-Benz M-Class Fascination - 360° driving experience

Then select "Standard Equipment" from the popup menu at the bottom of the screen. To the right you'll see more than a dozen different wheels and you can try them all on for looks with the amazing visualizer.

Then press the 'start film' button on the lower right side and enjoy driving around town with your new wheels. Don't forget to choose your favorite body paint color as well.

If you spin the ML around to look at directly from the front or back, you can see how the different wheels also change the tire width. The 21" are so much fatter and cool-looking.

You have to wonder why MBUSA's website is so lame in comparison.

I don't know how you can ever order any of these wheels from MB Cypress...and we thought the Canadians were the lucky ones....

·
Registered
234 Posts
the 21 (21x10) AMG Rims fall under the sport package in Canada, you get the adaptive damping as well so its a bonus

·
Registered
234 Posts

And there is one thing we get whether we want it or not, and that is aluminum running boards on the ML550. In Canada, it's still an option, as it should be. Isn't it ridiculous that if you live in the U.S. and want a 2013 ML550 that running board are now standard, meaning you are forced to pay for something that you don't want (on an already expensive upgrade from the ML350), and especially something so many are so vocal about not liking the looks of or how they dirty up your pant leg. And the little rubber things on the step come off too easily, so they are really a bunch of junk. It's simply asinine.

They probably had much inventory of the stupid defective running boards left over from 2012 because so few wanted them, that forcing them onto buyers of ML550 and increasing the MSRP accordingly was one way to get rid of them. Bastards!!!

lol dont be so down..... we pay more for everything else here, from food to gas to taxes to pretty much anything else you can imagine. Gas in Buffalo is about 1.03 a liter while in Toronto its 1.35 a liter

·
Registered
116 Posts
the 21 (21x10) AMG Rims fall under the sport package in Canada, you get the adaptive damping as well so its a bonus
Yep, that's another bonus those lucky Canucks get! Although with so little rubber between the wheel and the road, MB sure better include that!

I wonder is if there is a 20" x 10 " wheel for the ML, so I could have the extra tread width without sacrificing the ride so much. Or would that create a tire whose walls would flex too much on sharp turns because the walls are too tall for the width?

·
Registered
116 Posts
lol dont be so down..... we pay more for everything else here, from food to gas to taxes to pretty much anything else you can imagine. Gas in Buffalo is about 1.03 a liter while in Toronto its 1.35 a liter
Hate to admit it, but the primary reason I decided on the ML550 over the ML350 is because of the looks of the AMG body kit the ML550 gets. I'm too light on the peddle to really care so much about the extra horse power. Those thousands of dollars I'm now spending to get there would pay for a lot of gas and Cornish Pasties, plus now I'm going to be spending more on gas with that V8 engine. But in Canada the AMG Exterior Package comes standard on even the ML350s.

BTW: To be sure, I love Canada. I grew up outside of Detroit, where we would get Channel 9 broadcasted from Windsor...one of only about five channels on the airwaves back then, so we'd watch it all the time. My family would visit regularly and many of my father's hunting buddies where Canadian. When I moved to California when I was 21, my new friends assumed I was Canadian since I'd preference just about everything I said with "eh." Although I think I did pronounce "about" without the accent. ;)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yep, that's another bonus those lucky Canucks get! Although with so little rubber between the wheel and the road, MB sure better include that!

I wonder is if there is a 20" x 10 " wheel for the ML, so I could have the extra tread width without sacrificing the ride so much. Or would that create a tire whose walls would flex too much on sharp turns because the walls are too tall for the width?
better ask the dealer, I know in Canada the AMG pack on the ML are not 10 inches wide, I've seen aftermarkets for the GL on ebay as wide as 11 inches.

I would personally rather have 20 inch by 11 rather than 21 or 22's by 10 or 11

BUT that being said I have driven the 2013 GL with 21x10 and I can say that in comfort mode it was less harsh than my 2008 GL with 18x8.5 rims.

·
Registered
116 Posts
better ask the dealer, I know in Canada the AMG pack on the ML are not 10 inches wide, I've seen aftermarkets for the GL on ebay as wide as 11 inches.

I would personally rather have 20 inch by 11 rather than 21 or 22's by 10 or 11

BUT that being said I have driven the 2013 GL with 21x10 and I can say that in comfort mode it was less harsh than my 2008 GL with 18x8.5 rims.
Yes, in Canada, the 21 inchers for the ML350 and ML550 are 9 inches wide, whereas on the ML63 they're 10.

On my previous X5, I had staggered 20x10 in front and 20x11 in back. It looked like a mountain lion with big paws sleeking down the street. But sometime I could feel those fat tires pull a little in the front, and the extra width meant it picked up more road imperfections, creating a harsher ride with the X5 stiff suspension (even with BMW's version of Active Curve).

But I'm not sure there could be such a thing as 20 x 11 on the ML, since I think it takes a bigger tire than the X5. I've seen 22s on an ML, but I don't think the X5 could go more than 20.

A 20x11 sidewall on an ML might be too high with that aspect ratio, but I'm no tire expert. So someone enlighten me, please, since I sure wish it could be so. I'd love to get back to my same setup I had on my X5. It looked so darn cool, and it made me feel completely planted as I did 360 highway offramps as 80 mph. (just kidding)

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,127 Posts
20 x 10 wheels

The W164 ML63 AMG wheels are 20x10, and should fit, I would think. That being said, I was not happy with 295/40s on those with my '08 350 - felt like the Airmatic was not tuned for the extra weight. 275s might be better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts