Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New 2013 Bluetec order.... about ready to do it!... wait, I did it!

Settling in on a move from an RX350 to an ML350BT.

The dealer is saying their next slot is for an October build... ok, fine... But apparently the 20'' wheels are not available? Really? Everything else we want seems fine... sans the wheels.

So, a couple of questions...

1) Where does one go for a set of AMG or AMG knock offs...

2) Does anyone have the 'night vision' option from the special order list? I would love to know if it works well, or is a gimmick...

3) Real world mpg of the diesel... on the hwy... We live in an area where the commute will take us over a small mountain pass, and a 10 mile stretch of 4 line highway goodness... Is hoping for 30mpg realistic as long as we stay off the pedal and keep it 55-65?

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,127 Posts
Settling in on a move from an RX350 to an ML350BT.

The dealer is saying their next slot is for an October build... ok, fine... But apparently the 20'' wheels are not available? Really? Everything else we want seems fine... sans the wheels.

So, a couple of questions...

1) Where does one go for a set of AMG or AMG knock offs...
Please don't do knock offs. You don't buy a quality German vehicle to put on cheap wheels. Search for someone selling some ML63 take-offs (I found some for my W164).

2) Does anyone have the 'night vision' option from the special order list? I would love to know if it works well, or is a gimmick...
Don't have it, but from what I've read there are 2 drawbacks - 1) Display is in the Nav screen, well away from field of view; 2) Does not see through fog.

3) Real world mpg of the diesel... on the hwy... We live in an area where the commute will take us over a small mountain pass, and a 10 mile stretch of 4 line highway goodness... Is hoping for 30mpg realistic as long as we stay off the pedal and keep it 55-65?
I'll let diesel owners reply, but from what I've read this economy sounds totally plausible.

·
Registered
2013 GL350, 2018 GLC AMG43
111 Posts
Hi. I have a 2013 GLBT on order and hope to have it in October. As we live in northern Canada and experience winter driving conditions, I have already purchased an extra set of 20" wheels. They are a MB knock-off style and even have the AMG logo. I purchased them from: OEM Mercedes wheels | Bmw wheels | Mercedes Chrome rims : XYZ Wheels. I am very pleased with them and I think the price was quite reasonable. Another company that may be related is UsaRim.com. The wheels seemed to be the same, possibly less expensive but no logo.
After reading other comments from this forum I didn't bother with the night vision; primarily because you have to take your eyes off the road to look at the nav screen to view it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I think we will drop the night vision.

I would love the mag wheels, but I want 20s, not 21's. I will keep my eye out.

·
Registered
97 Posts
30 MPG is very doable if you drive it like a luxury car. If you drive it like a Porsche then all gets are off. :)

BTW, the diesel LOVES long trips.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If we knowingly drive a lot of highway speeds, not stop and go traffic, is there any reason that the gas might be a better option for us? Are there benefits to gas that maybe we aren't considering?

Diesel just feels like the obvious choice, but it's worth asking....

·
Registered
2011 E-350 Coupe
56 Posts
BlueTEC-Yes

We have approx 2500 miles on the BlueTEC and it's been great for around town and for towing. My wife & I love it. T

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
I don't even think it is possible to order an ML in the US with the steel roof. I believe that the sunroof comes std, with the panoramic roof as an option.

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
To the OP - most BlueTec buyer's have one or more of three primary reasons to buy a Mercedes diesel:

1) Towing: The BlueTec V6 has massive torque comparable to a large V8 gasser and that torque is helpful when pulling large loads on incline from stop such as larger boats in/out of the water, or heavy tows into rural situations.

2) Maximum fuel economy: Here this is also dependent on diesel costs relative to premium gas costs in the area of operation. In some areas the higher fuel efficiency for the diesel per gal is maximized further with diesel costs in particular areas lower than premium gas. Please note with BlueTec there is a exhaust fluid additive that must be refilled about every 10K miles in addition to fuel costs. Though with the help from this forum that AdBlue top off can be done with generic additive DIY at lower cost than top off by your MB delaer.

3) Diesel enthusiast: There are those owner's who are diesel enthusiasts, from ownership of earlier diesels, who appreciate the sophistication of the newest generation BlueTec as compared to what they have owned in the past

The somewhat less important 4th reason is to take a bit of pride in have a bit rarer vehicle.

Some diesel owners will say they buy disel because "future resale will be stronger than a comparable gasser" - but in fact that "resale edge" is not valid, since there are fewer future buyers for resale diesels.

Some owners will claim that "disels last longer" - but frankly the mechanical longevity of a gasser versus a diesel have for all practival purposes converged - meaning no real difference in mechanical longevity.

The 2012+ 350 gasser is the most fuel efficient, and the most powerful 350 engine Mercedes has ever made, and frankly there is a lot to love about the 350 gas engine.

From a dirving "experience" point of view, the engines do run a bit differently - meaning the higher torque in the diesel 350 from a standing stop will give you more of a "kindof V8 feeeling thru the seat of your pants" where the gasser pulls from stop different, then the gasser start pulling more strongly when you are rolling. Again, a different feel that you should try to test drive on a comparable MB, even a recent pre-owned, so you know the difference.

On the sunroof deal from Switzerland guy - whatever - on pano my handup is the front/rear rollers are linked, and I like to "tile" my standard sunroof for added ventilation and keep the sliding cover closed (it has air grills which allow ventilation) with the pano you need to have the rollor opened (front and back) to use tilt. And, you can't choose to have one roller open - front+back are either open/closed at the same time.

However open rear pano gives "lighter" rear cabin feeling for both driver and passengers - and very helpful when checking kids/grandkid activities in the rear during the day thru the rear view mirror.

Night vision has very-very limited effectiveness as compared to what conceptually we would like to have - IR thermal, improved from original S-Class system, but NOT effective in fog, rain, sleet, snow etc. Lighting upgrade to Intelligent MB Xeon HIGHLY recommended since they really light up the night, especially right side 2-lane roads, and local neighborhood navigation.

Both are good choices, but understand demand for BlueTec really is less than is like 6% of total sold here in US.

Keep the beat !

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone for the comments. There is much to be considered.

In terms of overall ride, comfort, and noise levels.... I would expect both gas and diesel to be the same... With one exception being the diesel startup and acceleration being a fair bit louder? But, at cruising speeds, they would be the same, right?

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
In Seattle there should not be diffcult to test drive 2012/2013 both gas and diesel for your own judgement.

However, what you will experience in your drive comparison in large part will be determined by which model gas or diesel you drive 1st.

If you drive gas 1st, then when you drive BlueTec 2nd yes you will detect a hair/tad more kindof/low noise at startup and at idle.

If you drive BlueTec 1st, then frankly your 2nd test in the gasser perception wise you will detect less of a noise decrease in driving the gasser.

It's a perception thing on "quietness".

If you're not a massive tow'r, and if your not a diesel enthusiast, and you want to wlak the less-traveled trail - that's very OK - but understand due to additional US Federal and Callif testing on diesel's each year - that the 2013 BlueTec will not launch/initial deliveries until October - meaning if you want a BlueTec this year you need to order NOW - again, the production #'s for BlueTec are low and the factory focus will be to pump out maximum # of gassers making gasser availability easier.

This timing thing right now is key and decisions need to be made in the next two weeks - since Mercedes incentives are based on delivery date - if you order a gasser for late Oct or Nov delivery chances are you will catch some good Mercedes incentives for that season as long as you have that clear agreement with your dealer when you place your order - however, BlueTec's most likely will not have those same gasser incentives.

Last year peak season ML gasser incentives on 350's end-Oct/Nov/Dec often stacked up to $4K and 1.99% out to 60 months

Delivery shit is going to hit the fan real soon - meaning those owner's wanting ML's "their way" need to order in next two week - or frankly if there are component shortages you risk dicey December delivery, and/or not getting all the features you want.

2013 ML production so far is NOT meeting dealer needs - where dealers should have 10-12 2013 ML's in stock end-August going into Sept Holiday weekend they will have shit end-August because 2013 ML's coming in are too few and are selling out in 2-3 days..

Keep the beat !

·
Registered
2019 X350d, 2017 GLE500e, 2012 ML350BT (sold), 2013 A200 Exclusive(sold), 2009 ML350CDI(sold)
250 Posts
Don't order sun roof.
Order only standard full steel roof or panoramic roof. :rolleyes:
If they dared to supply me with a roof like that, I would tell them to stick it. That is a warranty claim, repairable by new roof or new car IMHO. :eek:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I wanted to offer up my opinion regarding the night vision option. I had driven an S class a few years back equipped with the feature - and thought it was interesting. I liked the way that the display would take over the main console - where the spedometer normally resided. In the S class this is possible because that cluster is an LCD.

On my wife's e-class - we optioned it. It appears on the navigation screen which is in the center of the car. It is IMPOSSIBLE to view it without taking your eyes off the road. In fact, we used it once and felt that it was a distraction. We are coming off the lease on that e-class and we are not optioning it again - not worth the money. The active high beams are an option that I wish was available on my ML (they are now) because they help out 100x more than the night vision.

I have a question if anyone can assist. If you have the 3-zone HVAC - how do you control the back unit from the front console. In my old audi - there was a toggle to control the 2 rear zones. My kids are in the back and I would like to be able to adjust the temp. from time to time.

Thanks,

K

·
Registered
2012 BMW X5 (totaled by GF, now driving her Lexus RX300)
116 Posts

.....I have a question if anyone can assist. If you have the 3-zone HVAC - how do you control the back unit from the front console. In my old audi - there was a toggle to control the 2 rear zones. My kids are in the back and I would like to be able to adjust the temp. from time to time.

Thanks,

K

The best source for this kind of information is the online interactive manual here:

Interactive Owner's Manual [w166]

Look under "Climate Control"

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Be a bit cautious with the international 2013 ML-W166 manual - it's OK on the climate control thing but not necessarily accurate on US options/features...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts