Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 2012 ML350 Blutec diesel. The throttle response is sluggish and hesitates before full acceleration power. How do we solve this?

·
Registered
His 2013 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Hers 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Kids 2010 "4Matic" Impreza
334 Posts
By taking it back to the dealer and having them fix it.

And while you are there, drive another one from the showroom to make sure what you feel is not normal.

·
Registered
2019 X350d, 2017 GLE500e, 2012 ML350BT (sold), 2013 A200 Exclusive(sold), 2009 ML350CDI(sold)
250 Posts
When I test drove the W166, one concern was a short list of complaints I had with the W164.

The major complaint was the time to get going from start as in a traffic light derby (of which I never participate of course). With the W164, I could time myself happily with the Pirrelli calendar. It was actually much faster off the line at half throttle than full throttle.

But on test with W166, I was quite pleased. The limiting factor was turbo lag (which the W164 never showed as it was not quick enough), but that was only for a brief moment until the turbo was on song.

The standing start is now acceptable to me, and the rolling pick up as always, is brilliant.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I test drove the W166, one concern was a short list of complaints I had with the W164.

The major complaint was the time to get going from start as in a traffic light derby (of which I never participate of course). With the W164, I could time myself happily with the Pirrelli calendar. It was actually much faster off the line at half throttle than full throttle.

But on test with W166, I was quite pleased. The limiting factor was turbo lag (which the W164 never showed as it was not quick enough), but that was only for a brief moment until the turbo was on song.

The standing start is now acceptable to me, and the rolling pick up as always, is brilliant.
Yes, that is exactly what I am talking about - TURBO LAG.
Any solution?

·
Registered
2019 X350d, 2017 GLE500e, 2012 ML350BT (sold), 2013 A200 Exclusive(sold), 2009 ML350CDI(sold)
250 Posts
Left foot heavy on brake. Right foot half throttle. Lights change - liftem left puttem right down. :yelrotflmao:

·
Registered
97 Posts
FWIW there is a new CDI update. I had it done to fix the hesitation. Works like a charm now. BTW, this isn't the original update to fix the hesitation.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Katiesdad,

Was that update done on the W164?
I had one done (by head office) and it fixed the problem, but introduced a bucky drive. Before I managed to take it back to get it undone, the trans relearnt itself and went back to the original way.

My local dealer never heard about that update.

The W166 test drives made me feel happy that the problem was solved. :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Katiesdad,

Was that update done on the W164?
I had one done (by head office) and it fixed the problem, but introduced a bucky drive. Before I managed to take it back to get it undone, the trans relearnt itself and went back to the original way.

My local dealer never heard about that update.

The W166 test drives made me feel happy that the problem was solved. :)
I had the original bucking problem and the 1st update seemed to fix it. Then, over time, it started to come back. They recently did an "new" update and that seems to have fixed it. I do notice that the throttle response when cold is very touchy. Meaning that just a little throttle gives it a big punch.

Time will tell if it really fixed it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts