Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I have a ML550 on order with a build date of Feb 16. I'm 64 y/o, retired and this is my first Mercedes. It has been very difficult waiting for my new ML to arrive so I can begin enjoying it.

This W164 forum has been invaluable to me to begin learning about many of the features and potential problem solutions on my new ML. Thanks to all of you that have submitted your postings. I am sure that this forum will continue to enhance my Mercedes experience.

I have 2 option/accessory issues to decide on: which iPod to buy, and which new 3G cell to buy along with which Bluetooth module/cradle to buy. Any help would be appreciated.

___________________________________-
2008 ML550, Alpine Rain, Full Ash Leather Pkg, P3, iPod Integration, Distronic, Parktronic, Voice Control, Trailer Hitch, CD Changer, Keyless Go.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Ah, what a great way to ride during retirement. Congratulations!

The answer to your questions is purely personal. How much storage you need in your ipod should drive that decision. What you use you phone for will drive that one. Do you need a PDA, or a regular phone?

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
My opinion, do the I-Touch. nice little item. I'd do the 8gig, but they have the 16gig. Plus it has adapters for video out so you can go that rout, but it seems a bit much. You can mount the touch and change play list easier. I don't know about 3G phone, but my next purchase shortly is the Blackberry 8800 third generation, great reviews on the phone with built in GPS voice command. Good luck

·
Registered
90 Posts
Don't buy the phone cradle. Just buy the Bluetooth module that plugs into the center console. That way you just leave the phone in your pocket or in your holster, always.
The Bluetooth connects automatically when you get in the car and power up the ML.

Mark
PS. We really like the ML550. Have already used it in heavy snow at Tahoe and it plows through everything. Is a very comfortable vehicle. Excellent power up the 7000 foot mountain.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IR Glass

The reason I was considering the cradle was the ML550 has IR glass and I read in a S class post that the IR glass reduces the cell phone performance. The cradle uses the external antenna.

Since I'm retired, I will only use a cell phone for conversations.

I was thinking of an iPod Classic, 80 GB. It's only $50 more than the 8 GB Nano.

·
Registered
643 Posts
the bluetooth system has its own built in antenna for ur phone to the outside of the car! I's say buy an iphone works great with the bluetooth and ipod integration check a few threads down! welcome, enjoy ur retirement and ur car!

·
Registered
7 Posts
The reason I was considering the cradle was the ML550 has IR glass and I read in a S class post that the IR glass reduces the cell phone performance. The cradle uses the external antenna.

Since I'm retired, I will only use a cell phone for conversations.

I was thinking of an iPod Classic, 80 GB. It's only $50 more than the 8 GB Nano.
I've had the 550 since it first came out. Best SUV type vehicle I've ever owned. Loves the snow & ice. However, I did put on winter tires since I live in the mountains of Wyoming.

I've never noticed any problem with using the Bluetooth module and I live in a pretty tough cell phone environment (mountains). It's *really* nice to just get in the 550 and automatically have hands free cell phone access in just a few seconds without ever touching anything. I had to increase the minutes on my cell plan cause it was so easy to use.

My only Bluetooth issue is with the downloaded phonebook from my Motorola W385. The Command system does not use the proper icons to distinguish among "home", "work", "mobile" etc. All the entries use the same icon even though the manual says they should be different. It's only a slight inconvenience to me.

·
Registered
643 Posts
power wise what do u guys feel with the ML550, my ML500 breaks my neck with power!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Feels like about 25% more power...which is about what it has. That is a significant difference.

Simple net statement: it is a rocket. While not quite as fast as my CL63, it is not far behind.

Mark

·
Registered
13 Posts
Feels like about 25% more power...which is about what it has. That is a significant difference.

Simple net statement: it is a rocket. While not quite as fast as my CL63, it is not far behind.

Mark
Wow!! I guess that I should go rob the bank to get a ML550 too !!!

·
Registered
643 Posts
^^ i cant wait!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Coming home tonite after I blew away a BMW330i with 4 college kids in it I came to a stoplight next to a black Maybach with Nevada plates on it. (Man I love L.A.-people with nice cars, ballz, and big open, roads if you drive after 11:00 at night) Anyway, this guy looked at my truck, smiled-there was someone in the front with him but I didn't see anyone in the "passenger" compartment, and left the light pretty fast. I kind of tracked behind him and never got on it. He pulled ahead and eventually turned right. At first I was impressed how this big boat acellerated from a standstill and then I thought this old guy wants to go!
My question is, even if I was to hit it, would this thing smoke my ML550?
I've looked at the 0-60 times and it looks like I would be toast!
This old bugger was going to kick my azz!!!:surrender:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Congrats on the new ML550! It was my absolute pleasure to assist you in your purchase of one of the finest SUV's on the road! Keep me up to date on they enjoyment of your new Benz.. and.. Welcome to the family!

I think these guys would be impressed to hear the options list that thing has! GO AHEAD.. BOAST ALITTLE!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts