Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2004 S500
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone, i was wondering if anyone knew anything about the new facelift and whether i should wait for the new body style or just get the current one. thanks!

·
Registered
2007 CLS550
73 Posts
it's pretty subtle, a casual observer wouldn't likely notice much of a change. I saw some pics of a test mule in cold weather testing and it looked like cosmetic changes to the grill and rear tail lights.

My bet would be a more significant rework in 2009 when BMW and Aston Martin are in the market with their own 4 door coupes. Given the success that MB has had with this model they won't let it languish and because it a forward edge design centric model (the platform is an E class so not much engineering to worry about), you can bet that the next model will benefit from a lot of attention.

·
Registered
78 Posts
do you think 2009 may be a touch too early for a new model. They usually have a mid life face life then 4 years after this the new model. This would mean the new model would be due around 2011/12. It was first released in late 2004. So 2008 makes sense for the face lift. I've seen the same spyshots and to me the only difference is the grill now has just two bars across the width. It looks like a ford or Holden or something. The spyshots said the back had new lights but for the life of me I couldn't see the diff.
I am now scared they will bring out an awesome new model while I have just got mine 2 years before. The face lift doesn't faze me though. The interior is the big thing to work on. This is going out of date quick especially with the CL being released recently.. A new model in 2011 ish I can live with, not 09.
In general, face lifts never really include proper interior changes only a slight 'freshen up' of the body.

·
Registered
2007 CLS550
73 Posts
It's a good point but the CLS first rolled out as a concept in 2003 and was on the market in late 04. The CLS is a high profile vehicle for MB, having first created a class and then seeing most recently some impressive competitors enter it. It has low production numbers but isn't sitting in inventory as long as other models and has good margins, so that translates into a product line that MB really doesn't want to let go stale.

I just don't see MB letting 5 model years go by without a big update, especially given that the upgrade is interior and body styling and not a major chassis upgrade. But one thing I learned a long time ago is that you can't buy today based on what the mfg'ers might do tomorrow, so I'll enjoy my 2007 model and when they come out with an upgrade I'll take a look at that time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts