Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1986 Blue 190D 2.5 N/A 5 Speed
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Dolucasi, I just searched the forums and read through your experience with this. I'll be ordering ATF fluid, atleast a couple jugs, that way I can flush that 90W out. The joys of classic car ownership. You learn something every time you look at the thing!

·
W201 Moderator
89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual - 200K miles, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
4,318 Posts
Yeah for years I though it had gear oil in it. After checking the paperwork I realized the dealership put in a penzoil transmission fluid in it at 90K miles that was not colored. So that threw me off.
Has been great with standard ATF for the last 4 years. People also really like the redline. Next time I flush I will try the redline.

Benzworld at work!

·
Registered
89 190E 2.6 x2, 99 SL500 Sport
1,785 Posts
Redline D4 is definitely the popular transmission fluid, I may switch my car to that when it's time again.
Over the years, I've always used the Febi ATF fluid with good results, it's a mineral based designed for Dexron II transmissions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello all! I am the new owner and caretaker of a one owner 1986 Mercedes Benz 190 D 2.5 (5speed). This car belonged to my grandmother since new, and after she passed recently I have now acquired the vehicle. It has been garage kept since its purchase in November of 1986. The odometer reads 109,936 miles, however I noticed on the drive home that the odometer is not working, so we'll add 20-25 miles. The engine is strong, the lights all work and there are no leaks that I have found yet. I wanted to, if possible run by my plan to get the car back up and running more like a daily driver. I planned on first tackling the fluids and filters....Oil (fluid and filter), air filter, transmission (fluid and filter), rear diff, brakes, coolant. Then onto the harder jobs tackling the items that require some love.

First, the odometer needs fixed....so I'm looking at a dash removal. Second, the heater blower motor only runs on max. Even with the switch on 'I' it is still full blast from the center vents. I'm thinking possibly the resistor? This should be an easy kill with the dash removed. Third, no heat. Driving the car home I noticed no heat, granted I had the a/c off because of the fan, but in the garage at the end of the drive...no heat. Also, even with the "floor vents" selected I only get air through the center vents. Vacuum issue maybe? My Dad removed the fuse for the radio because it was only playing static (extremely loud), so replace that fuse to make sure the antenna works. The sunroof won't open....could this be related to that fuse? Lastly, I've seen good things about diesel purge....the diesel in the car is old, I'm not sure how old, but old. Would it be worth it to run some of that through the injector pump? Also, are there any additives to kill algae in diesel that are trusted by fellow MB enthusiasts? I apologize for the long first post but I am thrilled to death to have this car here. It's a piece of my childhood and my grandmother that I will cherish. Given that, I want to look after the car as best I can, and do the work myself. I'm eager to get started on this journey. Thanks for reading, and any input or information given will be much appreciated.

update I replaced the #19 fuse, and the radio, antenna, and sunroof worked. Started the car the next day and the static was back on the speakers so the fuse has come back out. Has anyone experienced this issue before? Is it best to swap the old radio for a new one?
Please, do this to your fuses

·
Registered
9 Posts
I sent the Becker from my 8660 SL to Becker. When cold it had a loud squeal and lots of static. Also the volume control didn't make any inroads on the noise. If I could stand it for 10 - 15 minutes, it would act like a normal radio...still not great sound, but I'm no audiophile. When I sent it to Becker, I didn't tell them about the cold making a difference. Eventually Becker substituted a good radio, and I am happy. If you are a fanatic about your sound system, I'd buy a new one, but if you want the true '80's sound experience - keep the Becker.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Thanks for the replies, I will be sending the becker to the guys in NJ in the coming weeks. I also plan on brass brushing and replacing the fuses in my fusebox!

Update on the transmission,,,,I drained and replaced the LiquiMoly 75W90 with Valvoline ATF (DEXRON III). I filled the transmission until the fluid started to come out of the fill plug.
I buttoned up the car and went for a drive, about 30-45 minutes, filled up with a couple gallons of fresh diesel. The engine is strong, and I didn't notice ANY issues aside from some chatter from the transmission accompanied with a pretty bad vibration at idle once the engine and transmission were warm. Is this normal? Is this symptomatic of lower quality ATF? Could this mean there isn't enough fluid? I measured the amount I had put in, which is 1.5L. Could I possibly need new engine mounts? I plan on changing the primary and secondary fuel filters along with the oil once I complete the diesel purge. Any 190D owners have tips on completing a diesel purge and also replacing the primary fuel filter? I see ALOT of banjo fittings.
I also changed the air filter and changed the power steering fluid. I also received my instrument cluster back from Palo Alto Speedometer this week. They do GREAT WORK! The odometer is working, and they recalibrated the speedo, along with replacing all the light bulbs in the cluster. I feel like I'm making progress, slowly but surely.

·
Registered
1976 450SL, 1992 190e 2.3, 1984 300D turbo, 1966 VW bus
135 Posts
Sounds like you are making some great progress! Keep up the good work.

Shaking could be caused by front/rear flex disks. Also could be motor mounts.
Crawl under the car and take a look at your flex disks, if they are cracked time to replace

·
W201 Moderator
89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual - 200K miles, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
4,318 Posts
Your bad vibration in idle must be a diesel engine issue. I noticed diesels tend to be a bit more rough at idle but my knowledge of diesel issues is next to nothing to give you advice.
Chatter from the transmission does not sound good. Do you get the same chatter in neutral with and without the clutch pedal depressed?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
cWanted to update the thread. I did a good bit to the car today. I changed the oil and filter, replaced the old dirty oil with Liqui-Moly 15W-40 and a MANN filter. I also put a can of Liqui-Moly Diesel system cleaner in the fuel tank. This actually seemed to help as the car was "pulling" harder and running smoother than the last time I had it out. I didn't notice any cracks in the flex discs, they looked in good shape to me. I adjusted the parking brake in order to try and get the "BRAKE" indicator light on the dash to go out with the brake fully released. No joy. I do however now have correctly adjusted parking brakes. The not so good, yesterday I brass brushed all the contacts AND fuses, I replaced the red fuse that controls the radio, sunroof, and power antenna. Again I was greeted with the loud "screech" when I turned the key on. I actually suspect it may be related to the antenna as I noticed after the antenna does its initial extension there is just a light static hiss from the speakers. I'll still have to send the radio off, as the buttons do not work to enter the code required to enable it. Lastly, the speedometer cable gave up the ghost today while driving, at least I'm hoping it's the speedometer cable and not the speedo after I sent it out! I checked the attachment points out of the transmission and checked the connection for tightness at the back of the instrument cluster. It was finger tight from when I re-installed it a week ago. I ordered a new cable from AutohausAZ, so fingers crossed.
Any ideas on what else could be the issue with the "BRAKE" indicator light? When I initially backed the car out of the garage a week ago and released the brake the light went out, but came back on when I set it and it has since stayed on regardless of handle position. I did notice A LOT of grease around the cable attachments at the cable adjuster above the rear differential.

·
W201 Moderator
4,318 Posts
Great progress. One tip, the gemo speedo cable at autohaus is garbage. Spend the extra $80 and your cable from the dealer.
You will not be happy with the Gemo aftermarket. Mine was ticking right out of the box, it was also not a good fit.. I should have sent it back but I think it ended up in the trash can.

Edit: Just remembered, yours is a Manual Transmission like mine. The Gemo cable is not even the correct length for a manual, even though the part number was correct, it was a bit short. So I would definitely not waste time with that one.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Great progress. One tip, the gemo speedo cable at autohaus is garbage. Spend the extra $80 and your cable from the dealer.
You will not be happy with the Gemo aftermarket. Mine was ticking right out of the box, it was also not a good fit.. I should have sent it back but I think it ended up in the trash can.

Edit: Just remembered, yours is a Manual Transmission like mine. The Gemo cable is not even the correct length for a manual, even though the part number was correct, it was a bit short. So I would definitely not waste time with that one.
I cancelled the order, thankfully it hadn't shipped. Where can I find a genuine MB cable? Just order it direct from the dealer? Or can I get it online?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I cancelled the order, thankfully it hadn't shipped. Where can I find a genuine MB cable? Just order it direct from the dealer? Or can I get it online?
I was able to find the genuine part number and put an order in through pelican parts. It's supposedly the genuine MB speedo cable. Fingers crossed.

·
W201 Moderator
4,318 Posts
The longer one for the manuals may have just gone NLA. The shorter one is available here:

But when I type in the longer one I get this:

Yes Pelican claims they can order, but I'm not sure. Worse comes to worse, stop by the dealer if you have one near you.
They were available a year or two ago for about $140.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Checked with the dealer AND Pelican and they’re NLA. I ordered one from FCPEuro, it’s 1490mm which is what the manual 5 speed calls for. I found a 2nd hand OEM in Germany, but am willing to try the aftermarket one before I go that route.

·
W201 Moderator
4,318 Posts
That is very strange that they do not make them for the European market. There are a lot of manual transmissions there. Too bad.
Hopefully the GEMO will be good enough, it was not for me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
That is very strange that they do not make them for the European market. There are a lot of manual transmissions there. Too bad.
Hopefully the GEMO will be good enough, it was not for me.
I agree. The only one I found was in Germany but it was second hand. I’m going to email them today and see if it is still in stock. And in the meantime try the GEMO. Have you ever had any issues with the parking brake on your 190? I can’t seem to isolate the reason the Brake light stays on. Possibly a contact in the center console?

·
W201 Moderator
4,318 Posts
The parking brake maybe is the only component I have never had an issue with in this car. Though I do not overuse it since it is a manual transmission.
It is probably the switch at the brake that is faulty. They are generally plastic and wear out. I had to replace my reverse gear light switch at the shifter. The plastic plunger had worn.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Got my new Speedo cable installed. I greased both ends as prescribed by the GEMO bag. The speedometer now works without any issue. I also replaced the secondary fuel filter (the one that looks like an oil filter) and drained the old coolant and replaced with genuine Mercedes coolant. The car runs smooth and everything works as it should. I’m waiting on a resistor for the blower fan, and still need to check out the microswitch on the parking brake. Several steps closer to getting the car inspected titled/tagged and back on the road! Thanks for all of the help provided by all!

41 - 59 of 59 Posts