Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
W201 Moderator
89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual - 200K miles, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
4,318 Posts
Not too long ago someone else did the same thing. Accidentally dismanteled that connector. He posted details here.

The Haynes manual is sometimes not 100% correct on the wiring of all model years. They usually have a representative circuit diagram to cover all.
Did you end up with the early years Haynes book (1984-1988) or the later Haynes book (1984-1993, all years).
The early one seems to have more detailed circuit diagrams.

So if you see a discrepancy do not be surprised. And do look up that other post on BW, W201. I may have even posted pictures of my spare one to help out.

- Cheers!

·
Registered
1986 Blue 190D 2.5 N/A 5 Speed
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I’ve got the second volume covering all years since it includes the diesels. I’ll look up the post for sure. I’ve about to got it back together, but the last thing I want to do is get it back together then take it apart because I screwed it up...again...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I’ve got the second volume covering all years since it includes the diesels. I’ll look up the post for sure. I’ve about to got it back together, but the last thing I want to do is get it back together then take it apart because I screwed it up...again...
Is this the connector you were talking about? Does it matter that mine is an 86 diesel?

Attachments

·
Registered
1989 190e 2.6
618 Posts
For the trans I would recommend draining the torque converter and fully remove the pan, tons of fluid will stay in the plan after draining the small plug.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
For the trans I would recommend draining the torque converter and fully remove the pan, tons of fluid will stay in the plan after draining the small plug.
It’s a manual..no torque converter that I can see

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Not too long ago someone else did the same thing. Accidentally dismanteled that connector. He posted details here.

The Haynes manual is sometimes not 100% correct on the wiring of all model years. They usually have a representative circuit diagram to cover all.
Did you end up with the early years Haynes book (1984-1988) or the later Haynes book (1984-1993, all years).
The early one seems to have more detailed circuit diagrams.

So if you see a discrepancy do not be surprised. And do look up that other post on BW, W201. I may have even posted pictures of my spare one to help out.

- Cheers!
I got it!!! I actually shouted out “I got it, oh my god I got it!!!”

·
W201 Moderator
89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual - 200K miles, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
4,318 Posts
Is this the connector you were talking about? Does it matter that mine is an 86 diesel?
Does your car have a mechanical or an electric oil pressure gauge?
I hear some diesel models had an oil line coming to the cluster.
If you do not have that(oil line), chances are diesels and gas cars may have same/similar wiring.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Does your car have a mechanical or an electric oil pressure gauge?
I hear some diesel models had an oil line coming to the cluster.
If you do not have that(oil line), chances are diesels and gas cars may have same/similar wiring.
I am fairly certain it is electric. All of the colors in that diagram matched the connector, which is thankfully now back together. The wedge bulbs for the instrument cluster, where can they be purchased? I haven’t been able to find any on either pelican, fcpeuro, or autohausaz.

·
W201 Moderator
4,318 Posts
I thought autohausaz had them when I last checked.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Any pointers on a reputable repair option for VDO gauges? The odometer repair is a little over my threshold.

·
Registered
89 190E 2.6 x2, 99 SL500 Sport
1,785 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I’m going to call PA Speedo in the morning. Thanks for that!
Next question, this transmission fill plug is fighting me tooth and nail. The 14mm hex socket is too big, the 14mm Allen barely fit and when I tried to torque it the wrench fell out gouging the plug (not a fan of trying that again I figure the plug is too rare.) Any 190D owners out there ever run into this issue? This transmission is the 714.711 model.
Also, since I’ve got the instrument cluster out, I was thinking that getting in back in might be easier to do without the steering wheel installed. I’ve got air bags, and when I tried to get the co-drivers side foot pan up, it wouldn’t budge. I was trying to get at the 10 pin connector. Anybody else run into this issue?
Also, replaced the cylinder head cover gasket, the old one was cracked. When I had the cover off I noticed a plastic ring from either an old jug of oil or a soda! 😳 Thankfully it wasn’t in a place to interfere!
Lastly, my Dad gave me the set of manuals that he had to work on the car. Much needed at this point! Thanks as always for the help. I know I’ve said it before but it’s cool being a part of a classic car community!

Attachments

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.6
597 Posts
You might possibly cut a short piece off of the 14mm Allen Wrench, fit it into the plug and use an open end wrench on the Allen wrench. The first rule when changing fluid in a transmission is to enure the fill plug can be removed before removing the bottom drain plug. The reason is obvious.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
You might possibly cut a short piece off of the 14mm Allen Wrench, fit it into the plug and use an open end wrench on the Allen wrench. The first rule when changing fluid in a transmission is to enure the fill plug can be removed before removing the bottom drain plug. The reason is obvious.
That’s a good idea! I’ve deliberately stayed away from the tranny so I don’t get ahead of myself and drain the thing before I can fill it, also it’ll help with drainage. Thanks for the help LauraS!

·
Registered
89 190E 2.6 x2, 99 SL500 Sport
1,785 Posts
Laura is spot on with her advise, I made a custom "stubby" allen for dealing w/ the fan clutch. And to increase leverage of the allen key, put a deep socket w/ an extension on the end, makes a great "breaker bar" Same rule applies to the differential which also has drain and fill plugs.
R.E. that floor pan-the plastic cover is just held on with some tabs, it should just lift out. But honestly, I've r&r'd the steering wheel numerous times and as long as you disconnect the battery you'll be fine.
Glad to see you've got factory service manuals too. I have a set as well and the tempmatic climate control is a lifesaver when troubleshooting the HVAC system.

Reactions: 86 w201

·
W201 Moderator
4,318 Posts
I’m going to call PA Speedo in the morning. Thanks for that!
Next question, this transmission fill plug is fighting me tooth and nail. The 14mm hex socket is too big, the 14mm Allen barely fit and when I tried to torque it the wrench fell out gouging the plug (not a fan of trying that again I figure the plug is too rare.) Any 190D owners out there ever run into this issue? This transmission is the 714.711 model.
Also, since I’ve got the instrument cluster out, I was thinking that getting in back in might be easier to do without the steering wheel installed. I’ve got air bags, and when I tried to get the co-drivers side foot pan up, it wouldn’t budge. I was trying to get at the 10 pin connector. Anybody else run into this issue?
Also, replaced the cylinder head cover gasket, the old one was cracked. When I had the cover off I noticed a plastic ring from either an old jug of oil or a soda! 😳 Thankfully it wasn’t in a place to interfere!
Lastly, my Dad gave me the set of manuals that he had to work on the car. Much needed at this point! Thanks as always for the help. I know I’ve said it before but it’s cool being a part of a classic car community!
I'm afraid you are going to damage that bolt and if you do you will be in a deep hole.
You need the proper short hex socket for that. They generally only add less than 3/4 inch to the torque wrench depth.
You also will be torqueing it up to proper spec when you are done, so a torque wrench is advised. Otherwise they leak and you do not want to over torque for obvious reasons.

I happened to have this photo in my album. Must have advised someone else in the past. This works. I believe I bought these at O'reiley's a few years back.

- Cheers

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Well, I got my 14mm stubby socket set in. Took the fill plug out like a charm. But, that’s where the good ends. I also purchased a 3/8” torque wrench. As I was trying to get the “click” to ensure I had the camshaft cover bolts properly torqued so as to prevent any further oil leaks, one of the bolts at the front got incredibly loose. You guessed it, I broke the bolt. THANKFULLY though, I was able to remove the offending article. These are 10mm heads but the bolts are 30mm long or about 1.18”. Does ANYONE know where I could get my hands on another one of these bolts? The torque spec on them is only 10nm. I should have just let well enough alone. So angry at myself right now!!!🤬🤦🏻‍♂️

Attachments

·
W201 Moderator
4,318 Posts
Ouch. Hope you had checked in prior. It is best to not use a torque wrench on the valve cover unless a super low end torque wrench is avialable. Basically 0-10 ft-lbs.
It is actually best to hand tighten with a super short wrench and do the following.

Finger tighten all without a wrench and much force at all so the gasket is snug fit and not compressed. Then count turns on all at that point so you are compressing the very soft rubber gasket the same amount. I would aim for something in the range or 2 turns.

There is actually a vacuum under the cover gasket during operation, so you do not need much of a tight seal there.

The bolts are by design made of very soft metal which is why they break.

I just got my extra ones from the Junk Yard.

And don't believe the 10 ft-lbs spec. That is way to much. Ask me why I know ......

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Dolucasi,

Thanks for your insights. Took my oldest daughter on her first trip to the junk yard and actually got 8 new bolts out an old OM603! They're a perfect fit! Granted, I only installed one and now have seven spares. Then we changed the transmission fluid together. I used Liqui-Moly 75W-90. I understand that there are others out there like Redline, etc. But, I'm trying to go off of the manual, and this is what she called for. Now, I'll be moving on to the brakes, and shocks and struts until the dash gets back from Palo Alto and I can warm the engine up safely and change the oil and finish flushing the power steering. Then it's onto the coolant. Again, thanks for your help earlier. I really appreciate it.

·
W201 Moderator
4,318 Posts
Hmm. that is not the correct fluid for your manual transmission. That will be stiff as heck when cold. I mistakenly put that in once.
You are supposed to use,(believe it or not ATF). Most use Redline, like you mentioned.

The dealer put in Penzoil ATF way back in the 90's. I have something similar in there now.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts