Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought 4 new AMG 18" wheels from "njpaguy" (a forum member) and they were delivered this week by Fedex.
They were exactly as he described them to me. Still in the original box and in perfect condition.
I had some very serious questions about what type of tires to put on the new wheels, and here is what I decided....
At 1st I wanted an agressive tread. This meant I would have to change sizes from the original factory size of 265/60/18 if I wanted to stay with the Bridgestone mfg. (I had such good milage out of the original Bridgestones) I had put in my order for 265/65/18's with
an agressive tread. My friend the dealer indicated to me that these tires were just over an inch in diameter larger than the original tires.
Thinking about that overnight brought me to the conclusion that if I did go with the larger ones, My spare would not match too well with them in case I had a flat.
So, I made the decision to go with the 265/60/18 Bridgestone Dueler A/T road tread.
The tread would not do much for an off road use, then again, my off road days are over.
The new tires must have lighter side walls as the ride is noticably softer. Much different from the older tires and believe you me, I took notice.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: New

I guess I meant that they were new in the box.
NJPAGUY had two sets and wanted to part with these four.
I was happy to get them, even if I did give up my 16's

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I went with the 2005 G55K rims which are 9.5" wide. For my 285 series Toyo Open Country A/Ts the standard 7.5" rim was just too narrow. They worked, but the sidewall was bowed out and the handling not as crisp. The 9.5" rims fixed that. As an added bonus the AMG offset brought the rims in just enough to keep my windows clear of road debris. With the USA ET43 stock rims I'd get muck thrown up on my windows. With the Euro ET63 stock rims the tires would have rubbed.

I'm very happy with the setup. I suspect these earlier 8.5" rims would have similar benefits just not quite as much width. They are a classy rim you don't see often.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts