Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This just started on my 94 E320 sedan a few weeks back, often the car will sit all week or longer if I'm out on a business trip. Recently went out after a week and no start for the very first time ever, hit the lights to see if I had battery and all that was fine, slipped into neutral and fired right up. Tried again immediately, same thing but after 10 minutes warm up driving, everything is fine? Been that way since, on dead cold starts nothing in Park, always in Neutral but after 5-10 minutes, starts either position... Wondering now if its just a bad electrical connection. Doesn't really seem that there really is any adjustment, just line up and pin it first then tighten the bolts down from the threads I've read. I'm concerned that my Popeye arms/hands aren't gonna fit up there to R&R based on comments that its stuck well up the tunnel.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had the same issue with my 95 E320. I drove it for few months by cranking up in Netural and finally it gave up there as well. I bought the new switch from Dealership for $90 and paid $50 to get it installed. Running fine from last one year.

I will be better to get this fixed from someone rather than trying your own.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I'm concerned that my Popeye arms/hands aren't gonna fit up there to R&R based on comments that its stuck well up the tunnel.
I'm 6'2" about 215lbs with pretty big hands (xl gloves) and I managed to do it. It was a pain, but it only took me an hour all said and done, most of it was spent trying to get the new one on.

But in the end it only cost me $60 for the genuine Mercedes part.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Placement of Switch ?

I'm 6'2" about 215lbs with pretty big hands (xl gloves) and I managed to do it. It was a pain, but it only took me an hour all said and done, most of it was spent trying to get the new one on.

But in the end it only cost me $60 for the genuine Mercedes part.
I'm having the same issue.

Can someone please advice on the location of this sensor/switch i.e. is it under the car on gearbox or below the gear snifter within the car ?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I too have developed this problem, and attempted to do an adjustment in case it 'just slipped'...

No go.

Have not replaced it yet as I am waiting to return to work after a knee damage layoff, but once working again (and having the resulting bux) I will order one.

It is on the END of the transmission shift shaft and is adjusted while in N...
:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
I too have developed this problem, and attempted to do an adjustment in case it 'just slipped'...

No go.

Have not replaced it yet as I am waiting to return to work after a knee damage layoff, but once working again (and having the resulting bux) I will order one.

It is on the END of the transmission shift shaft and is adjusted while in N...
Under the car in other words ????

·
Registered
66 Posts
How did you bypass it? I would like to install a toggle switch under the dash to bypass it if needed to allow starting. I've replaced this switch twice on my wife's CE and still have to slightly move the shifter to start sometimes. I'm afraid that someday it will keep it from starting for her. I haven't been able to get it adjusted just right, I guess. I am big and its murder for me to get my hands up around the bolts that hold the switch to the side of the transmission. I like working on this car but fooling with that switch just sucks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I use to have chronic neutral safety switch until I realized it wasn't 100% properly installed. I think this could be overly looked:
Make sure the NSS isn't just pushed on, it needs to be latched in. It has a plastic piece that can turn that locks it in tightly.

This switch also broke on me about 4 years ago, and it was my amateur mechanic work that lead me to chronic starting issues when cold outside and then eventually I discovered it wasn't locked in. Cranks over no matter how cold now, good luck.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I paid $52 for the Genuine Mercedes switch from Parts.com, was charged $20 for installation, he felt bad about that as it took about 5 minutes.

Ron

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Something else to consider...
This last winter I was having basically the same problem and spent most all the time starting in 'N'... not that I was truly bothered by it.

Went under there to adjust the switch more-than-once to no avail. THEN I began to notice that I had 'alot' of space between being in '3' and the edge of the shifter stop...
If I pushed it the rest of the way, it USUALLY downshifted to '2'.

Meaning? The shift LEVER was out of adjustment too.
The interesting part of this is... it was off by JUST ENUF to keep the 'P' from tripping the switch when it is cool out.

Next winter will tell the tale, but so far this summer I haven't had to 'N' to start! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Oh nice, jb

If the shifter was off for park, did that mean every position was also off a bit?

I'm just curious because I think mine needs to be adjusted some time. My car starts up fine in park, but the shifter actually doesn't sit properly for neutral, reverse, ect.. Wants to naturally fall a little before (closer to the dash) then it should.

I'll have to look into how that can be adjusted.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Most likely...
That's why I realized mine was off... when I could get to 2nd w/o actually moving the lever right and down...

You might wanna make sure your motor/trans mounts are good before adjusting it tho... to ensure proper alignment all-the-way-around.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts