Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2003 E 320
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to find out if my 2003 E 320 has the option of turning the "Netherlands Option" on, or aka the beeping when unlocking and locking the car that the newer Mercedes have. I have been looking through different forums and a lot of them just say that they did it and dont say how or how they knew. I dont really want to spend 160 to have a Mercedes tech look at it and tell me that I dont have the feature on my car. Is there anyway to check? I have checked my manual and my instrument cluster and it hasnt said anything about it but have noticed a lot of people with older Mercedes are enabling the feature. If there isnt a way to find out is there something I can tell my mechanic to let them know how to check? I called them and they had no clue what I was talking about. Does anyone know the procedure? Or any links to any forums that may help? Anything is greatly appreciated and thanks for all your help!! :)

·
Registered
2003 E 320
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I havent :( I am hopefully going to try and go this week to a Mercedes mechanic to see if they can do it! I will let you know asap

·
Registered
1976 Rover Mini; 2003 Z06; 2011 smart fortwo Passion
167 Posts
A side note - we have the factory alarm on our 09 smart and the three beeps on locking is the default. Of course, the question then is "how can we disable the alarm beeps?"

And why are the chirps called the Netherlands option? :)

·
Registered
2003 E 320
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why is it called the Netherlands option? No clue! :p haha but to get them off I would assume you can go to the dealership or private mechanic with the right computer hookups to get into the computers of the car and shut it off. I have found the directions on how to get them on, on a Mercedes. Here they are:

ECU:
SEL ATA - Anti-theft alarm system
SEL (5) - Version coding
SEL (4) - Acoustic alarm notification via
SEL (1) Alarm siren
SEL (2) - Netherlands(acoustic lock confirm)
SEL (6) - Stage 6 or your loundness preference

Not sure if they will work on a Smart but I would assume its pretty similar if they are using the same technology. Hope this helps in any way.

As for my car, I have not taken it in yet so I will keep you guys updated. I will also ask about Smart while I am at the mechanic and see what they have to say! :)

·
Registered
1976 Rover Mini; 2003 Z06; 2011 smart fortwo Passion
167 Posts
No need to ask about the smart - I'm happy with the chirps. Others have tried to get them disabled and apparently it can't be done. :)

·
Registered
2000 Designo SLK-05 C230WK-05 E320CDi-2010 GLK 350
714 Posts
Why is it called the Netherlands option? No clue!
Most dealers won't have a clue if you ask them about the "Netherlands option" because it refers to Steve Krabbenborg from the Netherlands. Steve used to make regular trips to the USA to install options and retrofit features not offered in North America. He was the best person to go to if you wanted to add simple stuff like power folding mirrors or complex stuff like AirMatic or Keyless Go to vehicles never equipped with those options.
He made his first trip to the USA after an absence of over a year and a half last November. He has scaled down his USA visits due to being a new father and growth in his Netherlands based shop.
You can still find him listed here:

Steve Krabbenborg
Werenfriedstraat 23
7136 LZ ZIEUWENT
The Netherlands
MBenzNL - Home

·
Registered
2003 E 320
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
n5160u,

Awesome! I just emailed him and maybe he can give me a better insight on how to get it! My car is currently in the shop so as soon as I can get any info on if its capable on my car or how everyone else can do it I will post asap!!!

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,428 Posts
I don't think the mode is called "the Netherlands mode" only because Steve is making use of it (could be one of the reasons). In order to activate this you would set the country code to "Niederlande" from the rear SAM.

Google indicated Mackhack from this forum probably did it for his car. He is from San Diego, perhaps not too far to visit from Anaheim.

·
Registered
Mercedes E320 2004
20 Posts
I have been trying to find out if my 2003 E 320 has the option of turning the "Netherlands Option" on, or aka the beeping when unlocking and locking the car that the newer Mercedes have. I have been looking through different forums and a lot of them just say that they did it and dont say how or how they knew. I dont really want to spend 160 to have a Mercedes tech look at it and tell me that I dont have the feature on my car. Is there anyway to check? I have checked my manual and my instrument cluster and it hasnt said anything about it but have noticed a lot of people with older Mercedes are enabling the feature. If there isnt a way to find out is there something I can tell my mechanic to let them know how to check? I called them and they had no clue what I was talking about. Does anyone know the procedure? Or any links to any forums that may help? Anything is greatly appreciated and thanks for all your help!! :)

Try this:

SDS -> CONTROL UNITS -> BODY -> FRONT LEFT SAM -> ADAPTATIONS -> NATIONAL VERSION OF MODULE -> "NETHERLANDS"

·
Registered
2006 S211
72 Posts
DAS

Anyone know where to enable this from DAS ?

I can finde alarm under function ørefigner by more than one controle Unit but the described sel i cannot finde any suggestions .

SEL ATA - Anti-theft alarm system
SEL (5) - Version coding
SEL (4) - Acoustic alarm notification via
SEL (1) Alarm siren
SEL (2) - Netherlands(acoustic lock confirm)
SEL (6) - Stage 6 or your loundness preference

Using DAS 2009

·
Registered
Mercedes E320 2004
20 Posts
I know that there is another way to activate chirping, without changing car in Netherlands mode (staying in US mode).
I can't remember, but I guess, it was in Alarm menu.
By default it was set to "Alarm without Buzzer", so we have to change it to "Alarm with Buzzer"

·
Registered
2006 S211
72 Posts
Change contry code

Think i have been ind and out of every menu in DAS 06/2009 but cannot find any where to change country code.
In "SDS > function preformed by more than one control unit > complete vehicle" i have found security and locking system but no way to change country code ore activate sound when lock and unlock

Please if any one have i step by step menu choice ?

·
Registered
2003 E 320
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so I took my car into the shop and it everything went well until they tried to choose USA with buzzer and I guess the car did not have the ability to beep :crybaby2:

·
Registered
2003 E 320
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
UPDATE:

so after finally giving up on my quest to add the chirping noise my w211 I FOUND OUT IT'S POSSIBLE!!!

I took my car into the dealer to get my a/c diagnosed. I also asked if there was anyway to add the "chirps" and he said he would add it to the report but there was no guarantee the techs knew how to do it. After hours and hours of waiting my service rep FINALLY called and I was dropped off at the dealer. After going over the diagnosis, he did not mention ONCE the chirping request I had put in :( sad and not asking any questions because I was dumb founded by my bill I walked out with my credit card trembling in my wallet and handed the ticket to the valet. I noticed my car already there waiting and began to follow him to my door and just then he pushed the unlock button on the smart key and BEEP!!!! The MB techs were smart enough to enable it while two other mechanic said they couldn't !!!!

As far as how they did it I wish I could tell :( I'm assuming it's the body>control units> rear sam>etc. Sorry I'm on my iPhone posting so I can't tell what the directions are.

When I went to my private mechanic with star he said it wasn't possible that it was giving him an error screen. I assume the dealers obviously have much more control towards this kind of stuff.

Thanks for reading I wanted to sharer exciting news with everyone and I've them hope. Hehe.

My advice is just go to the dealer because

1. Don't waste money like I did for the private mechanic to "try"
2. You get what you pay for!

Good luck :)

Oh and p.s. I'm pretty sure if it was that easy to add it it's probably as easy to remove it and also make it quite.

Here's the website I found my instructions:

http://www.mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/326084-star-diagnostic-how-diy-lots-o-pics-7.html

Good luck!

(Excuse my typos for I am writing on an iPhone thanks :)

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,428 Posts
When I went to my private mechanic with star he said it wasn't possible that it was giving him an error screen. I assume the dealers obviously have much more control towards this kind of stuff.
Actually most often dealers have less capabilities with their diagnosis tools, unless they request special passwords for these specific tasks (requesting passwords is a bit of a pain).

The question is more about how clever the guys are. This was an example about an expert at a dealer who really knew his tools, and/or was persistent enough (probably could not charge the real hours where most mechanics give up).

·
Registered
E350 4M 06
2,744 Posts
Glad to hear your chirps are working, I hope the tech didn't spent 3 or 4 hours trying to figure it out and charged the time to the A/C diagnostics and repair!!

·
Registered
2003 E 320
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Actually most often dealers have less capabilities with their diagnosis tools, unless they request special passwords for these specific tasks (requesting passwords is a bit of a pain).

The question is more about how clever the guys are. This was an example about an expert at a dealer who really knew his tools, and/or was persistent enough (probably could not charge the real hours where most mechanics give up).
Huh, interesting! Than I must give the techs kudos for knowing what they are doing and not just emptying our wallets! I am glad they were able to activate it!! Hope everyone is able to activate it on their cars!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts