Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 380 SL
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 84 SL is being put into regular use
go figure.... she is running better with regular use!

Need:
brown sun visors. Mine are all distorted

new floor mats

new soft top

any thoughts on where to source these things?

your thoughts are appreciated!

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
31,757 Posts
Have you tried searching? Here's where it was moved to during the site downgrade.

Advanced Search  1.png

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
6,654 Posts
Think about going with sunvisors from a 1986-1989 560SL.
Much nicer.
I found some that were gray and spray painted them brown.

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
6,654 Posts
As far as the Soft Top, are you going to install it yourself?
Lot of good threads on this forum on how to do it yourself.

One consideration ... many of us here installed the Sonnenland Canvas - really nice thick canvas material.
Looks great, BUT it is not as easy to store away in the soft top compartment as it tends to pull on the
rubber gasket on the body that surrounds the compartment. Many of us now have to use a slick sheet of plastic to protect the rubber gasket from pulling out of the channel. See photo. Not a show stopper, just something to know. Sonnenland does look great though.

·
Registered
1982 380SL
25 Posts

One consideration ... many of us here installed the Sonnenland Canvas - really nice thick canvas material.
Looks great, BUT it is not as easy to store away in the soft top compartment as it tends to pull on the
rubber gasket on the body that surrounds the compartment. Many of us now have to use a slick sheet of plastic to protect the rubber gasket from pulling out of the channel. See photo. Not a show stopper, just something to know. Sonnenland does look great though.

View attachment 2610430
That plastic idea is brilliant! I have the same issue with the rubber seal and the canvas top bunching up in those areas. It's also next to impossible to do both sides at the same time unless you have two people, one on each side to help guide it down. Thanks for the picture. I'm going to look for something like that going forward.

In terms of the rubber seal, mine is looking pretty worn and cracked, probably from age and the canvas top constantly being put up and down over the years. How easy is it to replace?

·
Registered
84 380 SL
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

View attachment 2610430
heck no, I'm not going to do it myself!
I've watched a couple of videos on it.... I'm just not that committed!
Too many other things getting in the way... like life, work, work, friggin work....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts