Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1992 300se w124 m104. I just recently purchased the car and its my first mercedes. The odometer reads 151k on it but doesnt work, which i would gladly fix if i could get the car to actually run right. I was driving it three weeks ago and the crank shaft position sensor went out the car died. I bought and replaced the sensor not a difficult task once you actually find the sensor.
This is actually where my problem starts, battery went dead so after trplacing sensor i jump started the car. It fired right up so i was estatic. Thinking problem solved but at idle sitting no issue till i put it into gear and back in park. It started idleing rough give it gas it would bog and die, i had a short in #6 fuel injector pigtail so i replaced it. The car will start no problem idles fine but if you try and rev the engine it bogs out and dies if i slowly push the gas it doesnt stall out.
Ive checked vacume lines there all good. Not sure if this matters but prior to cps going out the car would die if i was under heavy breaking and turning to the right, car would die then start right up. Could soneone please advise me what to look at next. I cant afford to take it to shop and need it running.
Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sounds like you have a few issues going on at the same time. May be worthwhile to really check out the engine wiring harness and ensure that it hasn’t cracked or worn through somewhere. A slow, deliberate check of what is working and what isn’t should help narrow down where your problems are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,048 Posts
Errr . . . before jumping the gun on the harness isn't your car M104.98x series with mechanical injection??? If so, your car is exempt from the eco junk disease.

·
Registered
17 Posts
That’s true that as a 92 it would have a non-degrading harness however, he described a short in his injector wire as well as other intermittent electrical issues. His harness may be worn someplace and grounding out or losing connection even tho it’s not biodegrading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,048 Posts
I must be missing something. A '92 W124 in US spec still uses mechanical injection. There is no wire at the injector(s)

·
Registered
1995 E320 2 Door Coupe 98,000km
47 Posts
I agree with N3T that you have more than 1 problem. Perhaps you're experiencing the same problem I had with my 1995 E320. Started out with some intermittent power loss while driving. Then it would stall upon braking for a sharp turn(then restarted fine). One day the "Check Engine Light" came on and it died at a busy intersection. I limped it home quickly by keeping my foot on the gas because it wouldn't idle and the throttle had a mind of its own. Got the "blink" codes off the OBDI. There were 2 codes; CPS error and MAF error. A new CPS didn't solve everything. The engine would almost stall towards idle(about 300rpm) then it would shoot up to 1500rpm and try to idle again. This cycle happened steadily. I cleared the codes previous to all this. The MAF error kept coming back. Got another MAF from the auto wreckers and it has been running fine ever since.
Footnote; Purchasing a 28 year old Mercedes is a bit of a gamble. Especially if the seller isn't telling you everything. Perhaps the seller flogged the car because of mysterious engine problems. Just saying.
Regards and Best of Luck.

·
Registered
17,048 Posts
Again, a '92 300E uses KE-Jetronic. There is NO MAF sensor. Completely different system.

Let's stop adding to the confusion by merely guessing.

A '95 uses a different engine, a different management system, different injection system, etc, etc, etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you everyone for your thoughts. The guy selling the car had it listed as a 500 not a 300. I ran the vin and it actually is a 92 300se it definately has electronic fuelinjection not mechanical. He said it was original motor but im not so sure. The wiring harnes was completely rotted inside all of the coating on individual wires had completely degraded. I just put another harness in out of another 92 it is good shape and all plug ins matched up.
I hate to say it but same problem. On a quick acceleration the motor bogs down and dies if i slowly accelate its runs ok. It idles fine at start up but if i rev the motor it will idle rough. Like i said originally this is my first mercedes, i am mechanically inclined, and on a very tight budget and really need this car to run. I thank everyone for there thoughts because again i know shit about Mercedes.

·
Registered
17,048 Posts
Wait a minute, that is a W140 (S class). This forum section is for the W124 (E class)

Completely different cars in every respect. I have 2 W140 600SELs myself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wait a minute, that is a W140 (S class). This forum section is for the W124 (E class)

Completely different cars in every respect. I have 2 W140 600SELs myself.
I apologize for my mistake on the thread and thank you again

1 - 12 of 12 Posts