Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been wanting to put an aftermarket amplifier and subwoofer into my 2002 ml320, but I have heard that with my current speaker setup (Bose upgrade) that this would be very hard to achieve.
is it possible at all to use a line output converter with the fiber optic cable that the Bose amplifier uses?
I don't plan on upgrading the original head unit or any of the speakers that are already pre-existing inside of the car.

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold? 2013 ML500,? 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
4,819 Posts
So I've been wanting to put an aftermarket amplifier and subwoofer into my 2002 ml320, but I have heard that with my current speaker setup (Bose upgrade) that this would be very hard to achieve.
is it possible at all to use a line output converter with the fiber optic cable that the Bose amplifier uses?
I don't plan on upgrading the original head unit or any of the speakers that are already pre-existing inside of the car.
You would be better off ripping it all out and putting a 2 din unit in with new speakers. 18 year old speakers are probably rotten anyway.
You can buy some great packages these days for a few hundred bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,412 Posts
As matt said,
FO system is proprietary.
Not that difficult to change over if you have basic wiring skills (basic soldering skills will be helpful too)
However, you can bypass the old DD system and its wannabe sub-woofer (aka acousti-mass unit) under the front DS, and re-purpose old speakers (I and a few others on this forum have)

Start here - there are plenty more threads on this topic

1 - 3 of 3 Posts