Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey
Am from India and planning to buy a mercedes benz compact between (1968-1972).I am new to the world of mercedes so your suggestiona and advice will will definately help

1.I wanted to know where i can find all information about the models produced between the period.
2.I also wanted to know which is the most compact model in the range.
3.I am looking for square lights.

Any suggestions would also help
Thanking you in advance
Varun

·
Registered
64' 220SEc, 72' 300SEL 6.3, lots of parts
512 Posts
I would consider a W108 type 68-72 280S or SE for the reason of suspension durability, these models have a long-travel suspension, and king-pin front end.
Think about the road type you will be on.
These cars have off-road rally credentials.

·
Registered
1973 W115 200 /8
895 Posts
Hi. The Mercedes /8 , strich-acht, the compact or the 68-75 E-clas..
A beloved car has many names..
These are som useful links : (Regarding your first question.)
MB Strichachtclub Deutschland e.V. - Aktuelle Neuigkeiten
Stichwortverzeichnis Strich-Acht
Treffpunkt Strichacht - Angebote rund um den Mercedes Strich 8: Startseite
2. The series is called compact. So I'm not sure what you look for.. All 2 doors have the same measurements, and all 4 door have the same measurements.. So, none of them are more or less compact regarding size..
2. Alle /8 models were delivered with the big square headlights. Only difference is that USA-models were delivered with a square frame, with a round light on top and a lesser square orange light at the bottom. Where both are sticking a bit out..
The Euro-style of these lights have all square glass. Looking much better I think.

·
Registered
1973 W115 200 /8
895 Posts
The suspension for the /8 W115-W114 are the same as the SL 107..
And many people I know like the driving comfort of the /8 better than the W108-109.
But, that is of course up to the owner/driver..

Also the /8 does not have the weakness of the kingpin, since it has more modern suspension with double wichbone and with both upper and lower ball-joints.
Also, the /8 have individual suspension on ALL wheels, not the pendulum-axel as the W108 have..
So the driving-geometry is far better than of the W108/109 models..

·
Registered
24 Posts
yeah, W114 stacklight mercs are super comfy and will take bad roads in they're stride reliable and strong as well, lots of em got exported out of the UK into Africa, i get offers to buy mine all the time if i'm in a predominantly coloured area of a city.

·
Registered
2005 C350, 2002 ML270CDI, 1969 230S, previously 2002 A160, 1985 380SEC ivory, 1983 380SEC grey
82 Posts
Hi varunvug,
the most important is lack of rust in the body! All old cars collect rust - and it can be VERY expensive to repair. The W114 or W115 bodies can have bad rust on the driver's floor and fire wall, meaning that the first big bump you drive over results in a broken body (slight exageration, but not much). The coupes also rust badly in the side rails under the doors. In Australia I have seen examples where you can use your finger to poke holes in the metal.
So in summary, look for minimal rust (the cars are 35 to 40 years old, after all), and a good provenance and service history. Regular oil changes are good, regular coolant chnages even better, as the engines have an aluminium cylinder head and cast iron engine block. The use of water in the radiator starts a corrosion process which is "quite expensive" to fix.
I have recently bought a 1968 W114 230 Automatic with a blown head gasket. The head was not useable, as it had previously cracked and been welded, and the aluminium was softened as a result, so even if welded again, it would be weak and liable to failure. Eventually I found a source who sold me a new cylinder head from an engine which had been imported from Europe, so it had always had proper coolant (for their winters) and so had almost no internal corrosion. That was a mere AUD500, and another AUD2900 in parts and labour got the engine working.
All in all considerably more than the car is worth! However, this car did have its original books and the 1968 delivery docket form the local dealer, so if I keep it a few more years, maybe it will appreciate. Hmmmm.

Anyway, all the best in your search
regards from sunny South Australia

1 - 7 of 7 Posts