Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI *black on black with nearly every option*
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rebuilt my calipers a couple years ago because of creaking noises when applying brake pressure. I replaced the pads, rotors, and guide pins last year thinking that excessive wear was causing a harmonic in the caliper due to the Piston being extended out all the time. But alas, they still creak.

As it turns out, the problem was actually not the caliper itself, but the worn out slide pin holes in the BRACKET. Or at least I think.
The front calipers have always creaked and it's just a problem I've just delt with to appease the German car gods, but now I've decided to finally tackle that problem.
The bracket slide pins are so loose in the holes that I can grab ahold of the caliper on the car and wiggle it up and down, side to side, etc. My guess is that these are the original brackets for the car going back over 460k miles. Need less to say, they're worn out.

Problem is, I can't JUST buy the bracket except from the dealership, and the brackets new are $350 a PIECE. WHAT THE HELL.

I could buy reman calipers complete with brackets, but they're used brackets, and who knows the milage on them. Plus I trust my rebuilding capabilitys a lot more than whoever rebuilds them for cardone or BBB industries.

Do any of you have an old set of calipers or guides you'd be willing to sell?

PM me or let me know in this thread if you've got any ideas. If I didn't spend so much time rebuilding my old calipers and making them look pretty, I would definitely just buy a reman set.

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI
24 Posts
Drill the hole oversized and insert a bushing?
Weld the hole and re-drill?

Longer shot - maybe the part is shared with another model/manufacturer and could be had for cheap under a different brand name? Who knows, maybe Volkswagen/BMW/etc. used the same bracket on some car? Not sure how you'd track that down though if it was true.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 4 piston calipers will fit 16" rims?

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to double check since i would have to buy new pads obviously as well, Theres 3 rotor options for the W211's, 295mm (what i currently have on my car), 312mm, and 330mm drilled and slotted.
will the 312mm rotors work for the 4pots? or do i have to get the drilled and slotted 330mm rotors?

·
Registered
87 300D 5 speed
5,294 Posts
Just to double check since i would have to buy new pads obviously as well, Theres 3 rotor options for the W211's, 295mm (what i currently have on my car), 312mm, and 330mm drilled and slotted.
will the 312mm rotors work for the 4pots? or do i have to get the drilled and slotted 330mm rotors?
Yes those are the 3 different sizes of RWD W211 front brakes. 295mm was on early V6 models, 312mm on E500 and 330mm on E550 and some E350s. The 312mm and 330mm were 4 pots. Either rotor size can be bought cross drilled or not.

The rotor and caliper are paired sizes. You can't mix and match a 295 rotor with a 330mm caliper. The size of the rotor is stamped into the back side of the caliper. You will need new rotors to get 4 pot calipers.

The Centric 330mm rotors were $22 a pop on Amazon.

Attachments

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
21,774 Posts
R1 Concepts has a great price on a front pad and rotor bundles.
Here is just one example.

·
Registered
2006 cdi, 1993 500e
194 Posts
That's great news on the front rotors/calipers. Did you upgrade the rears also? I always thought with all the diesel torque, it was a poor choice to utilize a solid rotor considering these cars use electronic traction control. My rear rotors wear way more than the fronts. I don't see yards here keeping the stock 295 mm rotor/calipers. But you should be able to get them cheap. Call some of the big california recyclers or here in DFW- all imports in ft worth. Probably get a set shipped with low mileage for $75-100.

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
21,774 Posts
My wagon came with the bigger brake package so I did not have to upgrade. I just replaced the rotors and pads.

·
Registered
87 300D 5 speed
5,294 Posts
That's great news on the front rotors/calipers. Did you upgrade the rears also? I always thought with all the diesel torque, it was a poor choice to utilize a solid rotor considering these cars use electronic traction control. My rear rotors wear way more than the fronts. I don't see yards here keeping the stock 295 mm rotor/calipers. But you should be able to get them cheap. Call some of the big california recyclers or here in DFW- all imports in ft worth. Probably get a set shipped with low mileage for $75-100.
My wagon already had the same vented rear brakes as the later E550 sedan.

I paid $78 for a pair of 4 pots on fleabay. There's still a bunch for sale on there.

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI
641 Posts
My wagon already had the same vented rear brakes as the later E550 sedan.

I paid $78 for a pair of 4 pots on fleabay. There's still a bunch for sale on there.
Seems like there Would be a software tuning requirement for the SBC, ABS, ESP when switching to a four piston caliper.

·
Registered
2006 cdi, 1993 500e
194 Posts
Do you change software with tires or brakes? No is the answer. The SBC uses the ABS sensor reading... and the braking effort is modulated. I looked at this for my car- the SBC unit is the same on the AMG E550 as the E320 cdi. So, I would just grab front and rear calipers and then you don't upset any braking effort. Do the same with running the same friction coefficient pads(brand).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts