Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2001 ML320 BMW 1989 535i
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just had my wife's oil changed on her 01 ML320. MEch came back and told me the lower oil pan has a leak. and worst of all the rack & pinion is "pissing" fluid as he eloquently explained it.

does anyone know the going prices on these parts and where is the best place to order them?

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,105 Posts
89, you just can't start ordering parts without knowing exactly what the cause is. If there is a leak on the lower oil pan then it is probably the gasket.

Relative to the rack and pinion, the power steering fluid capacity is a little over a quart and if it was pissing out, as he put it, you would have never made it to the dealership.

Have it looked at at an indy mechanic.

·
Registered
2001 ML320 BMW 1989 535i
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
89, you just can't start ordering parts without knowing exactly what the cause is. If there is a leak on the lower oil pan then it is probably the gasket.

Relative to the rack and pinion, the power steering fluid capacity is a little over a quart and if it was pissing out, as he put it, you would have never made it to the dealership.

Have it looked at at an indy mechanic.
The mech was an indy about 5 minutes from me. I am sorry if I did not explain better, but yes the leak is from the lower oil pan gasket. As for the rack maybe I should get a second opinion?

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,105 Posts
The mech was an indy about 5 minutes from me. I am sorry if I did not explain better, but yes the leak is from the lower oil pan gasket. As for the rack maybe I should get a second opinion?
Maybe you should make another appointment with him and make him show you where on the rack it is leaking.

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 ML320 BMW 1989 535i
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is a leaking rack fixable? I though once a rack & pinion starts to leak, one should just replace it.

·
Registered
2001 ML430 Sport bought in very nice shape despite 156K miles in August 2010
540 Posts
There are lots of potential leak sources in the power steering system. The very good advice 43sqd is giving you is to isolate exactly where the leak is coming from. While it may be a worn rack, it may also be a failed hose close to the rack. The cost and complexity of repair in these two cases is vastly different.

You really need to see the leak source to figure out the next step. Component swapping is not a good approach ever, and double that when the component is a spendy exercise like the steering rack.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts