Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i looked under the rear seat but the fuse box chart did not have an entry for rear power sunshade. does anyone have a complete chart? my rear sunshade stopped working and I suspect the fuse is out.

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,202 Posts
any reason why the seat fuse cluster? am guessing from memory....try #12 under the hood ¿ ?

p.s. print extra copies of each fuse chart and stick them under the hood. much easier to access,
and to view as one stop shopping

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi raymond, thanks and you were right #12 under hood

of course the fuse is fine. i suspect the sunshade motor is gone, which i heard is a $1200 job. i guess i won't bother :surrender:

·
Registered
96 and 08 911 turbos
2,988 Posts
Mine would get stuck about 1/4 of the way up. Turns out it was merely a stuck roller. I manually spun the roller as a friend pushed the button. Now it works perfect.

Perhaps yours is just stuck somehow.

When you press the button, do you hear the motor whirring at all?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OliverK said:
Mine would get stuck about 1/4 of the way up. Turns out it was merely a stuck roller. I manually spun the roller as a friend pushed the button. Now it works perfect.

Perhaps yours is just stuck somehow.

When you press the button, do you hear the motor whirring at all?

hmm. yes i do hear something clicking when i press the button.

where is this 'roller' you mention? i will try doing the same, but i don't quite understand what you mean by 'spinning the roller'. thanks.

·
Registered
96 and 08 911 turbos
2,988 Posts
ok, think of the shade as a roll of gift wrapping paper. If somebody was holding the cardboard roll from turning, you couldn't get the paper off. So, the problem with mine was that either the shade was stuck to the roller and wouldn't come up, or the roller was somehow jammed/prevented from rolling. So what I did was just gently turn the roller and pull the shade up as someone pushed the button. I went slowly and worked my way up, doing a small amount on each side at a time. Now it goes up and down perfectly and is actually a nice option for preventing high beam glare.

So, id get a buddy to push the button and try gently pulling up on the shade at the same time. You may find that as soon as you get it to move a little bit, it will actually go up (at least somewhat) on its own. At that point, you should be able to work it so that it moves freely if the motor is not fried.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
I leave mine up 365 days/year and practically 24/7. Worst case scenario, just get it up and leave it there. Sure, it would be nice if it worked as intended, but personally, I would not miss having mine down one bit.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OliverK said:
ok, think of the shade as a roll of gift wrapping paper. If somebody was holding the cardboard roll from turning, you couldn't get the paper off. So, the problem with mine was that either the shade was stuck to the roller and wouldn't come up, or the roller was somehow jammed/prevented from rolling. So what I did was just gently turn the roller and pull the shade up as someone pushed the button. I went slowly and worked my way up, doing a small amount on each side at a time. Now it goes up and down perfectly and is actually a nice option for preventing high beam glare.

So, id get a buddy to push the button and try gently pulling up on the shade at the same time. You may find that as soon as you get it to move a little bit, it will actually go up (at least somewhat) on its own. At that point, you should be able to work it so that it moves freely if the motor is not fried.

OliverK, when i pulled on the shade, it was on there pretty tight and it didn't want to budge. it looked like the "roller" part must be underneath b/c all I saw was a plastic trim on the top. anyway, i pulled on it as hard as i could (about 2 inches) and shoved it back in.

and voila!! it's working again. haha. maybe i got lucky.

i don't like to have the shade raised when i drive with the windows down, because i wonder if the air turbulence might mess up the fragile mechanism??

·
Registered
2010 ML350 4matic, Arctic White, Premium 2 Package, Lighting Package, Towing Package
38 Posts
OliverK and Pro V1x, thanks so much for the suggestion of lifting the sunshade manually a little and then reattempting to raise it with the button. This worked excellently with my sister's C320...she's very excited now. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
khelms_98 said:
OliverK and Pro V1x, thanks so much for the suggestion of lifting the sunshade manually a little and then reattempting to raise it with the button. This worked excellently with my sister's C320...she's very excited now. Thanks again.

no problem.. but keep in mind it'll probably stop working again. i just have mine raised and leave it there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts