Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am purchasing a C270CDI, removing the engine, box, harness, ecm, and EIS. The plan is to bolt this lot into my 2002 G400cdi which has a seriously unreliable engine. According to my research everything should bolt and plug together. I see that the Canbus from the w463 was based on the w203 and was wondering if anyone has any experience on programming this type of set up and general information on my plan.
Regards.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,441 Posts
There really is no CAN bus controller to program - it's pairs of wire where the connected devices communicate without having to individual circuits for individual functions. Consider the panel above the radio that has the heated seats, door locks, hazard lights, etc. Instead of each one of those buttons having wires running all the way back to the devices they control, there is a logic chip in the panel that sends and receives these encoded signal over a single pair of wires via the CAN bus. So when you press the door lock button, it sends a signal for "lock the doors" across the CAN, and every connected device sees that command. However, only the affected devices will respond, i.e. the lock controllers in each door and the trunk will activate.

The SAM's are probably the most sophisticated CAN bus devices as they control a lot of other things. These can be programmed (with SDS) based on the vehicle's installed options. If all you are doing is an engine swap, these should not be an issue. This swap is going to be a large undertaking and you may have some issues, but I doubt you'll have any CAN bus problems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rodney, thanks for your input. The parts for the physical instalation - Oil pan, pump, motor mounts etc, are off the shelf items here in europe and the fact that the G class came as a G270cdi in the same year as my 400cdi gives me encouragement. Comparing part no.s is also encouraging and many parts appear the same accross G400cdi, G270cdi and C270cdi. Chassis Bus and body Bus talk through EIS and I am hoping it will all work together. I believe that the motor harness plugs into the motor ecm directly and a couple of other plugs, so I should be able to use w203 engine harness, ecm and EIS key switch. I hope I am not overlooking anything as the conversion is being done in West africa with all parts from UK.
Pete.

·
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,441 Posts
So what was wrong with the 400CDI engine? I thought those were supposed to be great, powerful engines, better than the gasoline V8's.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 400 engine has been messed around with by local mechanics before I purchased the car. There are stripped bolts, snapped brackets, it overheats, the camshafts are worn. It needs a complete stripdown and rebuild. This will be something for the future, when we return to europe with my good workshop facilities. Here in africa, I want something I can bolt in and use for now.

·
19,441 Posts
Ah, I see. That's too bad. I'd kill for a 400CDI over here in the US! Years ago, I was at the factory here in Alabama where they build the ML, GL and R, picking up my W163 ML320 and there was an ML400 going out behind it. The lucky buyer was driving it to Canada. How sad it was to know that it was built right there with mine, but no amount of money would get me one! Back then they weren't selling diesels in the states. Now they do, but only the 6's - not the V8's!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts