Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1987 560SL - R107
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 1989 260E (240,000 miles) and have technical questions on the everyday use...

1) Is there a way to improve the start from a dead stop? I'm not racing, but the vehicle is awfully slow from light to light. Once it picks up speed it's fine, but off the line is very poor.

2) Is there a way to optimize the AC unit? I live in Texas and it's already HOT and Humid and it takes forever for the car to get cool. It gets cool, but I guess not cool enough like newer cars. I know it's older, but is there ways to improve the "coolness" factor?

3) Sitting in traffic (lots here in Houston), the car engine gets quite hot and because the engine struggles to keep it temp down, the AC gets awfully warm. Can I do something to optimize the engine to lessen that?

4) Are Auto-transmission additives suggested to help keep the tranny healthy? If so, which one's do you find safe and effective to use?

Thanks everybody, it's a great forum and I appreciate your input on making my car an enjoyable machine to drive!

·
Registered
2004 SL55 AMG
505 Posts
It's hard to know where to start troubleshooting

Hello Addygirl (or Addy if you prefer),

Any car with 240K miles on it could be slow off the line and hot for a lot of reasons. You can spend a ton of money just getting opinions from mechanics. Search this forum for recommended Benz mechanics in Houston. I'm sure there's at least one indie who is competent and reasonable. Then, address the possibly critical issue first: overheating.

On a hot, humid day in Houston, I'll bet most cars operate at 100 degrees C. If you're running hotter than that, find out why and fix it. After the engine is running at the right temp, have an AC shop check out your AC system. The last thing to get into is the slowness; you can always live with that for awhile.

If it were my car, I'd pressure wash the radiator fins and the AC condenser fins, then drain the coolant out, flush the radiator, and refill with fresh coolant (any premium brand will do). I'd listen to the water pump to see if it was normal, too.

Welcome to the Forum and good luck,

Dave

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
addygirl said:
I have an 1989 260E (240,000 miles) and have technical questions on the everyday use...

1) Is there a way to improve the start from a dead stop? I'm not racing, but the vehicle is awfully slow from light to light. Once it picks up speed it's fine, but off the line is very poor.

2) Is there a way to optimize the AC unit? I live in Texas and it's already HOT and Humid and it takes forever for the car to get cool. It gets cool, but I guess not cool enough like newer cars. I know it's older, but is there ways to improve the "coolness" factor?

3) Sitting in traffic (lots here in Houston), the car engine gets quite hot and because the engine struggles to keep it temp down, the AC gets awfully warm. Can I do something to optimize the engine to lessen that?

4) Are Auto-transmission additives suggested to help keep the tranny healthy? If so, which one's do you find safe and effective to use?

Thanks everybody, it's a great forum and I appreciate your input on making my car an enjoyable machine to drive!
you can always have a valve job done, install a performance chip and change to first-gear start...

·
Registered
1987 560SL - R107
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Imon and Battlecat for the advice. The chip and valve-job sounds great but too costly for my everyday driver.

Imon, I will shop around for a wise mechanic in the area for the listed problems. Thanks for your insight and wish me luck!!!

·
Registered
2004 SL55 AMG
505 Posts
Check bottom radiator hose

Addygirl,

I just remembered that on two old cars I've owned, the high operating temp was due to the bottom radiator hose partially collapsing from old age. That's the suction side of the water pump. You can feel with your hand if you can squash that hose. If so, replace it immediately.

Good luck!

Dave

·
Registered
47 Posts
Temperature: I used to have the same problem; I switched my thermostat for one that’s marked with a 65º (Fahrenheit?) now my car runs cooler.
Air conditioner: You may check the blower, try to clean it so it will work better, the difference is great.
Try to drive your car using the gear box… 2nd >3rd> D Floored…
Good Luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts