Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know someone in the Baltimore/Washington DC area who can program used keys for a W220?

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
No one can program used Mercedes keys to work with a different car

There are only two options :You need a factory new key
Or a complete matched set of used keys, ignition switch , eCU and shifter all taken from the same donor car and swap all 4 parts because they are permanently coded to work together

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for trying to help, but what you said is not true. It has been proven that used keys can be reprogrammed to be used in another vehicle so long as it's before 2010.

I have the keys already, but just don't want to spend a bunch of money on key programming equipment just to do a car or 2 if there is someone in my area who will do it for a reasonable price. My local locksmith can cut the metal keys, he just can't do the programming part. I have found many locksmiths in other areas of the US advertising this service.

·
W220 Moderator
5,531 Posts
Hi,

Yes, well that is sort of true, but sort of not !! :wink

The 2010 bit is pure myth, I know a guy in England who can do much later MB Keys.

If you have a Locksmith who does EEPROMMING and he has either a non working key which used to work on your Car, or he will strip the EIS, remove chips and get the key Data, or now in very recent times there is a guy in UK who can "sniff" the EIS Data via IR, then it can be done.

Check out Mark and Matt here :- http://www.replacementmercedeskeys.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-MCYvrqi2QIVpLXtCh1qhAD-EAAYASAAEgKmQ_D_BwE

These guys are the only ones i would trust in the UK, you must have someone in USA who does the same :wink

If you are looking for a geeky guy who does this in his garden shed for $50 then along with that goes some very expensive risks :wink

EEPROMMING method is not without risk, especially if it involves dissecting the EIS.

Another member here has successfully swapped chips from a dead Key into a good working Key, but again that depends if you have a dead Key and that has to have a certain type of circuit board to match the "new" key.

You cannot clone from the original key because of the rolling code, if you do after you have used either one of them it will simply render the second key useless.

Locksmiths can supply a Brand New Key for around half the MB Price, (In UK £160 - 180). Personally rather than risk screwing my EIS I think I'd just go that route, unless as I said earlier, if you have a Key from that vehicle which doesn't work, SoCal and others may be able to clone it into a decent one, via postal service :wink
@Deplore @93SoCal400E

For more info, hopefully they will see this and give some input.

HTH,

Cheers Dave

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
3,214 Posts
Yes, I do have the ability to pull out the info from the EIS through either OBD or IR, but that is confined to late model vehicles. Older models consistently require complete EIS disassembly to pull out the full data dump to decrypt the key data.

And yes, I do have the ability to program used keys....though I never do. Pain in the ass, and sometimes the eeprom that's on the key goes kaput when trying to flash it with the key info of the car...so it needs a new chip. Or a new key.

Cloning works if you flash the EIS to completely ignore the hash verification, but that has its drawback. Locksmith and MB dealer won't be able to make keys for a modified EIS, and indeed that modified EIS will only work for that particular car. Useful for race cars where security is not a concern....but not much else. Modified EIS goes kaput, you need whole new EIS. Data transfer of the modified EIS to replacement EIS won't work, as it's locked to serial number.

Soooooooooooo.....it boils down to this...OP has a friggin S600. Spend the $250 and get a brand new key with no fussing about. I would not cheap out on a key when an inexperienced tech mucking about with a EIS has the potential to turn that car into the world's largest paperweight.

·
W220 Moderator
5,531 Posts
Yes, I do have the ability to pull out the info from the EIS through either OBD or IR, but that is confined to late model vehicles. Older models consistently require complete EIS disassembly to pull out the full data dump to decrypt the key data.

And yes, I do have the ability to program used keys....though I never do. Pain in the ass, and sometimes the eeprom that's on the key goes kaput when trying to flash it with the key info of the car...so it needs a new chip. Or a new key.

Cloning works if you flash the EIS to completely ignore the hash verification, but that has its drawback. Locksmith and MB dealer won't be able to make keys for a modified EIS, and indeed that modified EIS will only work for that particular car. Useful for race cars where security is not a concern....but not much else. Modified EIS goes kaput, you need whole new EIS. Data transfer of the modified EIS to replacement EIS won't work, as it's locked to serial number.

Soooooooooooo.....it boils down to this...OP has a friggin S600. Spend the $250 and get a brand new key with no fussing about. I would not cheap out on a key when an inexperienced tech mucking about with a EIS has the potential to turn that car into the world's largest paperweight.
Hi Deplore,

Thanks for clarifying that, that is exactly how I understood it from our discussions way back :wink

Trouble is right now my brain is fried atm, delving 'deep deep deep' into a V10 TDI VW Tiguan with Air Suspension Circuit 30 problem :big laugh:

Cheers Dave

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
3,214 Posts
Trouble is right now my brain is fried atm, delving 'deep deep deep' into a V10 TDI VW Tiguan with Air Suspension Circuit 30 problem
Cheers Dave
Ooof. Electrical issues on a VW...and on circuit 30, to boot. You have my condolence. :D Wild ass guess, last time I had to mess with a circuit 30 issue (granted, on a MB) it turned out to be a front SAM issue. Corroded female terminals in SAM. Given that the air suspension in VW operates on the same principle (40a fuse, relay to activate pump, both may be located on the same fuse box)....possible solution?

But ship me that V10 TDI engine when you pull it out, eh? I would do many inappropriate things to get it. :D

·
W220 Moderator
5,531 Posts
Hi,

This beasty has 5 Fuse & Relay boxes, 2 Batteries with Electronic Controlled intelligent switching, and at least 3 separate Ckt 30's, a lot of other Control Modules are reporting perfect Ckt 30 Voltage :crying

Have to remove both Front Seats and most of right lower Dash to get at 3 of the areas.
Both Batteries good on load test, no problems in 4 of the boxes / fuses / relays looking at the under dash one in a while, Compressor Relay in there, but Compressor runs for a few seconds as you start it up, Zero Pressure in Reservoir though :wink
Data showing ELC Ckt 30 at 0.5v and Ckt 30 (00668) is the only code in ELC !!
Car "slammed" on Bump Stops and Red Dash Message "Running Gear Fault" :frown

I did get that Cluster Message to go off once yesterday, when rummaging under the Driver Seat where ELC bits are, but it didn't raise up, and still Live Data showed no Ckt 30 Voltage !!
I will have to completely remove that Seat today, plus it's Subframe to get at the various components. This Car is a Bear to work on, an old 2005 MY Dog !!

Googling to try and get VW ELSA Wiring Diagrams this morning :wink

I'll copy this to my "Workshop Thread" and continue there in case anyone has any input :wink

Cheers Dave

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Talked with OP about this, since I also have an S600 (same year, too). Turns out he's not too terribly far from me. This is a project car that the previous owner did not maintain well at all, but it's in "saveable" shape. Clean title, too, apparently. He's putting the car back together right, as a fun project. Currently, it's not yet daily-driveable, though it does drive, and when the weather gets warmer (still kinda cold around here), he's going to do more work on the car.

Over here, locksmith services are about the same as going to the dealer (UK folks are fortunate in that way). When I got new keys for my E320 CDI, I did go to the dealer, for that reason. Yep, $250/pop, but I have keys that work.

What would be *really* cool would be to find a way to adapt W220's to use the metal key for starting the car as an option. I don't know if anyone's done that, though. These computerized "extra-security" keys are kind of a pain in the backside by comparison.

·
W220 Moderator
5,531 Posts
Hi,

I agree with Terrell, $250 is not a great deal of money, considering the possible consequences !!

The W220 uses DAS3 :wink

This article is mainly discussing Drive Auth Systems, (DAS), in terms of what is acceptable MB Procedures :-

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163-m-class/1245088-everything-you-always-wanted-know-about.html

We all know there are loopholes, but most of those loopholes are risky, as we have said !!

There are guys in USA who are decent locksmiths, and can sort you a key, one of who commented above :grin
But like we both said, if you want an el cheapo alternative you risk Bricking the entire EIS, Shifter and ECU combo. :wink

Not something I'd be prepared to try on a running Car just for a spare key, fine, if I'd no Key and couldn't start the Car then it may be worth a punt, if it results in FUBAR, I'd have needed to buy a Theft Relevant Set anyways.

But if the Car is running fine and I just need a spare Key, sod it, £180 it is for a nice Stainless Key that will work :wink

Cheers Dave

·
Forum Administrator , RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
39,176 Posts
IIRC, the dealers in the Baltimore to Annapolis corridor here in TLoPL want in excess of $300 for a replacement key. I got 2 done(1 for the 220 and 1 for the 211) at $175 each through a relative who works for a different brand dealer who belongs to the same auto group that the M-B dealers belong to. I know of no one in the area who can do what the OP asks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
7 Participants
robertrob
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing