Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car won't start, the buttons on both remote key don't work,so I can't open or lock the doors, trunk and the panic button does not work as well. the odometer reading on screen is blank, looks like this (------), I can't even turn the key when inserted, and I don't hear the sucking sound when you insert the key. All of this happened with new car battery and key battery. The lights, radio, horn are working.

According to the dealer, it might be the EIS (Electronic ignition switch), they said I have to pay a couple of thousand dollars to change the whole ignition switch, get green key to reprogram, etc.... how can that be when i only have 12,000 kilometers on the car and rarely use it. And also according to the dealer 10 to 20% of the c class released in our country had the same problem. Have any of you guys experience the same thing????? By the way, I am in asia but the car was purchased in Canada

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Jay.

Ever find out what caused this? I'm having the exact same issue with my 2001 C320. Purchased in December 2000 from So Cal. Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
OMG.. I hate people who figure things out and do not follow up. I have an 02' S430 with this EXACT issue and no help. The camera trick works with my key. New car battery, new key batteries. Seems to fix itself if I leave key in ignition for extended periods of time. But that is not a fix... My milage is ------ when the doors do not unlock with key. Key red-light flashes. IDK what is going on. Also, the steering wheel turns without pump power and does not lock. IDK if it is related, but gas peddle needs replaced, due to P0122 code, which is only code thrown. I am lost!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Jay - Mine ended up being the EIS. Had to get it towed to the dealer by 1800MERCEDES and ended up being about 1000-1200 to fix.. Sad to say, this will probably be my last Mercedes. :crying

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here is the thing with mine... As soon as the ignition is warm, it starts right up... at 8:30 it will not start. As soon as the morning dew is gone from my car, it starts like a champ. I read a thread where a guy would use a hair dryer to heat his ignition and then boom... Car starts. I believe this is the case with mine.. Not so much the hair dryer, but the fact the EIS needs heat. IDK why it would but it just seems to want to be warm... I just do not see myself carrying an inverter in my car with a L'oreal hairdryer saying, "Hey baby... Like my car? Get in and wait for me to blowdry my ignition!" Sounds like a bad R-Kelly song.... :\

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
20,605 Posts
This sounds like some weak solder joints on the EIS circuit board. If you are so inclined, you might take it apart and see if there's anything obvious. Bad solder joins have proven to be the easily repaired culprits on the IR door handle sensors as well as headreast adjustment servos.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts