Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have been having an oscillating vibration at 40 plus MPH and was told by my independent mech that my transfer case was making a lot of noise when using chassis ears. I decided to have the fluid changed with the hope of correcting the issue. Well it has been a few hundred miles and no changes are noted with the vibration. Should I assume that the transfer case is my issue and is beyond a fluid change to correct or should I seek a second opinion at the steelership? New tires and alignment did not help. Not have tried changing any mounts.

Does anyone know the Part # for the 1999 E320 transfer case? Someone is selling used one with the number A210 281 00 01. Would this one work?

Please help.

·
Registered
6,647 Posts
How about making it simple and replacing engine mounts and transmission mount? Has anybody checked those?

If transfer case fluid was changed has anybody bothered to examine content?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assume that he looked at the mounts but I have read that it sometimes difficult to know based on inspection. The engine does not rock when hitting the accelerator. I thought about changing the transmission mount as it seems pretty easy and cheap.

No internal inspection was performed on the TC only that is sounded horrendous with the chassis ears on acceleration. It makes no clicks or clunks at low speeds.

I hoping to not spend a lot of money chasing this vibration/noise which is annoying.

·
Registered
6,647 Posts
What I meant by examining content was fluid drained from TC. If component is suspected bad you drain fluid from it through coffee filter and examine what's in it. If you see fragments of teeth, pieces of needle bearings or just general metallic hash you can say it is bad. Otherwise keep looking.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts