Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Friday, 4/22, I caught a rock on the windshield...after spending the last half year doing everything to avoid any trucks and "loose loads" on the roads... cruising up the freeway way back from a green camry...it HIT!!! right in front of my right eye...a stone chip with 6 legs... and just a little over 10K miles on the car...and having to see it the entire weekend drive on an outing with our SLK group in the Califonia Gold Country...

Thanks for letting me vent... I will now go deal with it...[V]

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
That sucks. Hopefully it can be repaired and won't need replacement.

Happened to my truck 2 days after I bought it... so I got it repaired instead of replaced. I couldn't stand the idea of replacing the windshield on a brand new car.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well...I just got the word...it will be a replacement, not a repair...too direct in the field of vision and would still be too visible. It should get scheduled for Thursday or Friday afternoon...I'll be real particular to make sure my rain sensing wipers work well after replacement...[:(!]

·
Registered
237 Posts
Make sure they but MB factory glass in it. They will try to put aftermarket in it im sure. The quality is not the same. Aftermarket glass is usually seconds they wont send to a manufacture. I went around with an insurance co on my G35 Coupe Infintiy. Factory glass was $900 higher. They said they could replace it with a like replacement. I said as long as it meets all the orginal specs they could put what every they wanted in, just show me the specs. They pulled the non-factory glass out and put factory glass in because they could not prove it. If a glass in not perfect General Motors actually scores the glass so it cant be reused and it is sent back to the manufacture for full credit and it is trash at that point. Only the best gets sent for production, the rest is what you see aftermarket.

·
Registered
SLK32AMG
712 Posts
xJagman - 4/25/2005 5:00 PM

Make sure they but MB factory glass in it. They will try to put aftermarket in it im sure. The quality is not the same. Aftermarket glass is usually seconds they wont send to a manufacture. I went around with an insurance co on my G35 Coupe Infintiy. Factory glass was $900 higher. They said they could replace it with a like replacement. I said as long as it meets all the orginal specs they could put what every they wanted in, just show me the specs. They pulled the non-factory glass out and put factory glass in because they could not prove it. If a glass in not perfect General Motors actually scores the glass so it cant be reused and it is sent back to the manufacture for full credit and it is trash at that point. Only the best gets sent for production, the rest is what you see aftermarket.
I just had the windshield replaced on my MDX. My insurance company required factory glass because of the GPS screen. There is supposedly a UV filter in their glass that protects the exposed screen. Not sure if it is the same on the new SLK. $800 installed as a price point.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the feedback...I talked with the installer today and he is getting the glass from my local Mercedes dealer, aware that I will be scrutinizing the installation and operation of everything thereafter (like the rain sensing wipers)...he is guaranteed by the insurance company as well and I will hold them to it....[;)]

·
Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
788 Posts
rorlan - 4/29/2005 1:23 PM

Had VentureShield Paint Protection Film install yesterday. Think this is the way to go.
Your sig says SLK55, mine is on the water, heading in. But I have not been able to find a company that has a Clear Bra pattern for the SLK55, yet.

Did you find someone, or did you have custom wrap from the roll?

If custom, how do you feel about it?

·
Registered
SLK 55 born 03/05
58 Posts
Go to manufacturer's website and they will help you find an installer in your area. I have heard the concerns about fading, and detracting from the "good looks", but I think this is the way to go.

It has a lifetime warranty and should meet all the use requirements out there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
250 miles on my SLK 350. What a POS. The cheap seats aggravated my long dormant back problem. The break and check engine lights are on, and the outside temperature is 185 deg F.

I would sell it in a second.

Mercedes was a good name once.

·
Registered
SLK350 (apr 15)
673 Posts
nero05 - 5/8/2005 4:22 PM

250 miles on my SLK 350. What a POS. The cheap seats aggravated my long dormant back problem. The break and check engine lights are on, and the outside temperature is 185 deg F.

I would sell it in a second.

Mercedes was a good name once.
I'm sorry that you don't like yours. I just finished a 1400 mile trip in mine (700 in, 700 out, a few days around Omaha) and find it very satisfactory.

I did find that the lumbar support is bad. I had a paperback novel with me for reading (not as I drive, but at stops), and stuck it behind my back.

Would like to find a nice Beige support to carry around. Maybe two, one for the wife.

I'm not sure why you would blame Mercedes for the weather: that's entirely due to the space aliens.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts