Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 SLK 55 AMG
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The glass on BOTH my fog lights is broken. Who was the rocket scientist that made the lenses out of glass, anyway.

Good news: $158 each from MB
Bad news: $250 for installation

Ideas welcome. Can I do this myself? Are there fog lights for the 55 from parts vendors that are less expensive? Anyone know where I can get plastic covers for the fogs?

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
On my Ducati I have a Perspex
(methyl methacrylate polymer - just in case 'Perspex' is a UK only trade name) cover for my headlight, held on by tiny, white,velcro dots. I bought this from somewhere, because it has a complex shape and curvey profile, but, as I recall, our fog-light lenses are flat, so it should be fairly easy to make your own.

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
CP1 - 4/25/2005 3:20 PM

The glass on BOTH my fog lights is broken. Who was the rocket scientist that made the lenses out of glass, anyway.

Ideas welcome. Can I do this myself? Are there fog lights for the 55 from parts vendors that are less expensive? Anyone know where I can get plastic covers for the fogs?
How did both lights get broken? Could someone have broken them?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Look into getting StonGard (Stone Guard)
http://www.stongard.com/sgcontent/default.asp
thick, clear, plastic film covers for the new lenses. Get the breakage coverage and they will be replaced for free if they are ever broken again. I had an $875 headlight covered by this braekage policy, not bad for the $15 one-time ins. pmt.![:D]

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
CP1:

I feel your pain...[V] can you get it with one deductable in insurance? My windshield is $100 deductable...maybe you can get both lights for the same...[?]

·
Registered
SL550
949 Posts
Anyone with basic skills can do the installation. You need to raise the car high enough to remove the plastic panels below the engine compartment to get easy access to the fog light cable connectors. You should be able to replace both sides in about one hour. Tools needed: 8mm socket for screws on panel below engine and size 15 torx bit for fog lamp retainer screws. You will also need a couple of electrical tie wraps to replace the ones you cut when removing the connectors.

CP1 - 4/25/2005 6:20 PM

1 - 6 of 6 Posts