Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1993 190E 2.0L Auto
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I need to change my speedo cable, however, since I've had the car it has never had one. In theory I know how this should fit but I've never seen one fitted myself and not sure where it goes.

Does anybody know if there are any photos online anywhere of this being done? I have purchased a Haynes manual and it is a bit useless in my opinion!

Thankyou

·
Registered
1999 e320
58 Posts
I can't answer your question, however, I do know that you have to slide the cable in very gently - I had mine replaced years ago, and they had to redo it 2-3 times because the cable was so easy to kink, which makes the dashboard have a ticking sound.

·
Registered
1989 560 EUROSEL 1984 190e8V 2000 e320 sport
737 Posts
first is first you need to take off your instrument cluster that means removing the strreing wheel and trim pieces...
then pull out instrument cluster just a little youll see where the cable is located follow it back to the tranny remove that part first but be very careful it is aluminum casting. then give it a lil slack up in the front end and unscrew it from the instrument cluster it is relatively simple soon as you get the sterring wheel and instrument cluster out

·
Premium Member
'92 MB W201 2.3, '10 MB X164 GL550 4Matic, '14 MB W218 CLS550 4Matic
911 Posts
first is first you need to take off your instrument cluster that means removing the strreing wheel and trim pieces...
then pull out instrument cluster just a little youll see where the cable is located follow it back to the tranny remove that part first but be very careful it is aluminum casting. then give it a lil slack up in the front end and unscrew it from the instrument cluster it is relatively simple soon as you get the sterring wheel and instrument cluster out
Steering wheel removal is not required

·
Registered
737 Posts
it may not be but if you really want to get your cluster far enough back you can remove the steering wheel its just a torx bolt 13mm

·
Registered
1993 190E 2.0L Auto
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm... thankyou for the tips everybody, I spent two and a half hours replacing this on Friday, and the speedo still doesn't work :-(...

Has anybody got any ideas? I was extremely annoyed on Friday lol!

·
Registered
737 Posts
instrument cluster may be shot... did it ever work to begin with????

·
Registered
1993 190E 2.0L Auto
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nope

instrument cluster may be shot... did it ever work to begin with????
It hasn't ever worked since I've had the car... been meaning to get around to fixing it for ages.

I considered it could be the instrument cluster, just thought it was a hell of a lot more likely to be the speedo cable.

:mad:

·
Registered
737 Posts
im picking up an instrument cluster this week if you need mine ill sell it to you cheap or you can ebay it

·
Registered
2.3-16v Evolution2 Replica
493 Posts
Just remove the knee cover and lie down on your back with your feet in the air and unscrew the cable from below. You just need small hands to do it.

·
Registered
737 Posts
yeah im in the usa

·
Registered
737 Posts
how could you tell from my signature lol

·
Premium Member
'92 MB W201 2.3, '10 MB X164 GL550 4Matic, '14 MB W218 CLS550 4Matic
911 Posts
MonkeyBoy,

First, you have to be more specific when you request information over here so you can get specific answers

First things first: have you checked your fuses, and does other dials (fuel level, temp, RPM) works? (the clock has different circuit, and the fuel ECONOMY dial works on vaccuum, so they have nothing to do with this point)

If the above stuff works fine, then most probably your speedo cable is shot BUT you need to check first by following:

1- The cable is extremely short and never mind having small/large hands as an agressive instrument cluster pull will snap the cable.... so you need to disassemble it from the tranny side (nothing major, its a 10mm bolt) and try to push it upwards so you can have some slack in the engine bay

2- take off your instrument cluster by pulling it towards you (STEERING WHEEL REMOVAL IS NOT REQUIRED, Don't waste your time with this), once it is free from the fasteners, start pulling the cables and wires one by one (no need to mark up any of them as they are different types of male/female plugs and you won't get lost at time of re-assembly

3- During (2-), go back to the engine bay and push the speedo cable towards the dash so you'll have the required slack. FAILING TO DO SO WILL SNAP THE CABLE AT THE CLUSTER END

4- Disassemble the cable from the cluster and push the cable back towards the engine bay so you can re-install it at the tranny side

5- Now you have the Inst. Clust. out and the cable is installed at the tranny side. It is time to check which part is not working:
A- Insert a 2.5mm wide flat head screw driver in the cluster cable entry and spin (to see if the trip gauge moves) if it does then the cluster side is fine (don't worry about the spinning direction, only one direction will move the trip gauge)
B- Start the car and move slowly forward and try to sense the spinning movement in the cable insert, if it does not move, stop the car and push the steel insert inside the cable tubing and try to sense the movement again by moving the car FORWARD

On a side note, if you try the search feature in this specific forum, you'll find many people had experiences with thier speedo cables (including myself), you may try and do your homework by reading them

If you have more trouble, please let us know

·
190E, SLK350
66,979 Posts
^^
what he said!
I couldn't for the life of me access the back of the cluster from under the dash. Simply disconnecting the cable from the transmission will allow ample slack to pull he cluster out without removing the steering wheel.
The cluster will resist a bit but after an insult or two it will comply. Just tell it that you have a hammer.

·
Registered
1993 190E 2.0L Auto
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
MonkeyBoy,

First, you have to be more specific when you request information over here so you can get specific answers

First things first: have you checked your fuses, and does other dials (fuel level, temp, RPM) works? (the clock has different circuit, and the fuel ECONOMY dial works on vaccuum, so they have nothing to do with this point)

If the above stuff works fine, then most probably your speedo cable is shot BUT you need to check first by following:

1- The cable is extremely short and never mind having small/large hands as an agressive instrument cluster pull will snap the cable.... so you need to disassemble it from the tranny side (nothing major, its a 10mm bolt) and try to push it upwards so you can have some slack in the engine bay

2- take off your instrument cluster by pulling it towards you (STEERING WHEEL REMOVAL IS NOT REQUIRED, Don't waste your time with this), once it is free from the fasteners, start pulling the cables and wires one by one (no need to mark up any of them as they are different types of male/female plugs and you won't get lost at time of re-assembly

3- During (2-), go back to the engine bay and push the speedo cable towards the dash so you'll have the required slack. FAILING TO DO SO WILL SNAP THE CABLE AT THE CLUSTER END

4- Disassemble the cable from the cluster and push the cable back towards the engine bay so you can re-install it at the tranny side

5- Now you have the Inst. Clust. out and the cable is installed at the tranny side. It is time to check which part is not working:
A- Insert a 2.5mm wide flat head screw driver in the cluster cable entry and spin (to see if the trip gauge moves) if it does then the cluster side is fine (don't worry about the spinning direction, only one direction will move the trip gauge)
B- Start the car and move slowly forward and try to sense the spinning movement in the cable insert, if it does not move, stop the car and push the steel insert inside the cable tubing and try to sense the movement again by moving the car FORWARD

On a side note, if you try the search feature in this specific forum, you'll find many people had experiences with thier speedo cables (including myself), you may try and do your homework by reading them

If you have more trouble, please let us know
Hi. first, thankyou for the feedback people!

I haven't checked the fuses, when I purchased the car I was told the speedo cable was snapped, although now I'm doubting this. The fuel level, temp and RPM clocks work fine. What a nightmare lol! :crybaby2:

·
Registered
93 190E 2.6; 82 300 SD Turbo
1,678 Posts
DEAD THREAD RESURRECTION TIME!

I'm currently doing this on my lowered 190E 2.6.

I just wanted to add that it helped immensely when I dropped the back half of the transmission. Its just four bolts. Use a jack to brace it on the way down.

Torque spec for those four bolts is 45 Nm / 33 Ft-lbs.

This cluster...is a serious pain in the ass. w126 clusters as so much easier to remove. This not in the least. My fat hands dont help either. I've no idea how any one ever got their hand up behind this thing. Maybe they were earlier cars with less shit behind/under the thing.

Steering wheel is coming off for this job. Will make it a million times easier.

WELL. FYI, you must install the cable top-down. Dont try to feed it upwards. Feed it down through the cluster area.

I also managed to repair my tripometer and my outdoor temp sensor:
http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/tech-help/313608-stuck-non-working-tripometer-repair.html#post2892815

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/tech-help/313607-outdoor-temp-display-repair.html

1 - 20 of 20 Posts