Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in San Jose, CA and I need to replace my front bumper. I have 1996 SL500. I have a quote form a local body shop referred by the dealership. Initial quote for just the parts is about $1,200. Does that seem about right? Or is there somewhere else I should be looking.

Thanks

·
Registered
1999 SL 500 Sport Pk
29 Posts
SL FIZZLE - 5/4/2005 10:31 PM

I NEED TO REMOVE MY BUMPER AND HAVE IT REPAINTED.
ANY SUGGESTIONS?
I have a 1999 SL 500 with the sports pak and I recently had to have my bumper repaired (Several little cracks in it from scrubbing over the years) I also had the bumper repainted the original silver.... It was unbelievable how new this bumper looked after they repaired and repainted it...No need to buy a new one just take it to a first class paint and body shop and have them restore your old one like I did...It cost me around $650.00 to do this and it looks great...

·
Registered
1989 560SEL, 1994 SL 500
335 Posts
I need to remove mine too. Anybody know how to get it off and on again. Refinishing is the easy part!!
thanks

·
Registered
SL500, CL55, E350, E320
3,205 Posts
6 screws (4 small and 2 big).

2 small ones on the left (get under the car & you'll see)
2 small ones on the right.

2 big ones in the center. These need to be accessed by opening the hood. They are right about in front of the fans.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, well it looks like I have three options from the repair shop. The first is to replace my bumper with a new one (same model and year). This I believe would run about $3k, includes parts of about $1,300. The second option would be to go with one of the complete after market body kits. This sounds like it would run about $3K also. The shop couldn't comment on quality or fit, so its questionable. The third option form the shop is a factory original AMG upgrade kit. That one will run me anywhere from $6K to $7K depending on if any modifications are required.

Lastly the fourth option is to purchase an available 1999 front bumper and side panels. What changes were made to the front and side as of 1999. I remember that in 1999 the SL received a facelift of some sort. This concerns me a little because that means that the brackets and what not may not match up. Meaning more $$$.

So any suggestions? Does anyone know anything about aftermarket body kits or have one installed? I can very close to purchasing one from the DriversCorner just before they started falling apart.

Has anyone gone from 96-98 to a newer model? Where there any fit problems.

·
Registered
1995 Sl320 Roadster
66 Posts
A good body shop can repair and repaint and clear coat the front bumper for around $600.The MB dealer in Dallas said it would take 3 days.There is no reason to buy a brand new one unless your bumper is not repairable.If you take the bumper off yourself and take it to the repair shop,then it should knock off $150-$200.If you have to have a new bumper,I would wait until one pops up on Ebay.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't believe it is repairable. I has a huge crack that just keeps growing from getting caught on parking curbs.

·
Registered
1989 560SEL, 1994 SL 500
335 Posts
lnguyenh - 5/5/2005 11:21 AM

6 screws (4 small and 2 big).

2 small ones on the left (get under the car & you'll see)
2 small ones on the right.

2 big ones in the center. These need to be accessed by opening the hood. They are right about in front of the fans.
Thanks Inguy..shall give it a try.
p.s shall be asking you how to remove the rear bumper after that!!

·
Registered
SL500, CL55, E350, E320
3,205 Posts
... same number of screws on the rear (pretty much on the same area to that of the front's).

For the rear, you need to unhook the tail light covers and take them off (along with bulbs).

Then, you need to take off the cover from the right on top of the battery by unscrewing the plastis screw. Same procedure on the left except that there is no plastic screw.

All 6 screws will need to be worked on from inside the trunk. It is harder to get to the (2) screws on the left and be careful not to drop them (once they come off the studs) because they will pretty much gone once you do [:(] (you will see what I mean when you get to that).

The hardest part is the side skirts! Changing the side skirts would be 10 time more difficult than changing the bumpers.

·
Registered
1989 560SEL, 1994 SL 500
335 Posts
lnguyenh - 5/9/2005 11:09 PM

... same number of screws on the rear (pretty much on the same area to that of the front's).

For the rear, you need to unhook the tail light covers and take them off (along with bulbs).

Then, you need to take off the cover from the right on top of the battery by unscrewing the plastis screw. Same procedure on the left except that there is no plastic screw....

ur da man, Inguy...thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts