Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2010 E350, 2005 Tundra Sold the 1998 C230
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been hearing a noise from the rear since I got this car, wasn't sure if it was brakes or not. Today I put new rotors and pads on the rear axle and while the car was on jackstands, heard the noise coming from the drivers side axle. I'm fairly confident that is coming from the outer cv joint, though if there is some sort of bearing in there, that might be the culprit too. Is dis-assembly and replacement of the axle a DIY job or should I find a good Indy to do this? And what would be a good place to go for the axle (partsgeek is about 350 and Rockauto is about 160 to have each side rebuilt). Any idea on what a mechanic should charge for it? Had one local shop tell me its 1000 per axle plus about 250 labor. I told him thanks but no thanks. Another place tried to convince me that I must have a front wheel drive car, told them not to worry about it either. Not encouraging...:rolleyes:

I've got an alldatadiy subscription for the car as well, it's not being very helpful either, nothing that says how to do the job start to finish or the approx. time in hours.

·
Registered
2010 E350, 2005 Tundra Sold the 1998 C230
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These have CV joints? Where are they?
Uh, yeah. Rear independent suspension axles have two cv joints per side in each half shaft.

Update: Spoke to an indy Mercedes shop a few mins ago, have an appt to go in Monday morning for them to look at the car while I wait. She thinks it may be the wheel bearings and not the half shafts, says they have more problems with the bearings than other parts of the rear axle. Gave me a ballpark est. of 450 for both sides which makes sense, always do them in pairs. Price doesn't sound bad, the bearings alone are about 60 or more each, and there has to be a couple of hours of labor for each side.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts