Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 320
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Sorry. I have little doubt this has all been covered before (in fact, I have read it).....but I can't get the search function at this site to work. Here is the deal:

I have a 2001 "sport" SLK320 with 9k miles. One of the tires caught a nail in the "shoulder"....and cannot be patched/plugged. I need a replacement. I currently have 17" Continental Contisports (stock). Was told to buy 4 new ones (isn't that what they ALWAYS TELL YA) and was given a quote of $925 for 4 Michelien Pilots. I may try to find 2 Continentals and put them on (as the tires only have 9k use). Advice?

Thx

Geekapoo[:eek:)]

·
Registered
SLK 230
1,007 Posts
i think they are trying to rip you off. Only one tyre has a nail, right...
at worst i would expect to replace 2, but not all 4.
Go to a different tyre-shop mate.

·
Registered
99 SLK230 SPORT
380 Posts
go to www.tirerack.com and find the tires you want(probably the exact ones you have) and more than likely it will be cheaper than ANY other retail places. and then have them price match tirerack. its most awesomet hing ever.

I did that for my brothers Z4. ordered him 235/45/17 Pirelli P Nero Zero RUN FLAT tires for $135 each!!!!

so [:D]

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
Conti's are not the best tires in the world, BUT........

If you only need one tire, buy one Conti. Tire Rack has good prices, and good tires, but when you try to get a local to put them (it) on they will roast you.
Boston's a big city, find a Conti dealer, and let him put one one your car, it will end up being quicker and probably cheaper in the long run.....[:p]

·
Registered
06 corvette coupe
468 Posts
if one tire has a nail, the 4 tires and rims are ruined. You definitely need to get rid of everything associated with that nail.

and they wonder why people don't trust service centers.

·
Premium Member
1999 SLK230 Sport
2,713 Posts
The best tires I have ever run, and I am running them now are the Goodyear Eagle F1 DS-G3

The quietest, best handling sport tire I have ever seen. And, at Tirerack, very reasonably priced for the 17's ($710 per set plus shipping)

You wont be able to run these in the winter, but that is not an issue with me as I don't even drive mine in the rain, much less the snow!

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
you should be able to get one tire. I think good shop - can "shave" it to match the one on another side.

2001 with 9K miles ? Take that garage queen out more often

·
Registered
SLK 320
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the quick replies gang. I may just replace the one tire with another Conti...the wear on the rest is not bad (though the previous owner did cut into the side of one of the front tires/rim on a curb).

Re the low miles....bought it with 2k, put on 7k in 1.5 years.....the trials and tribulations of living 5 miles from work (use to be 2 miles from home to work!) and having an Audi A4 for those snowy/very wet days. Hell, when going to work, I'm lucky if I get it outa 3rd gear LOL.

·
Registered
99 SLK230 SPORT
380 Posts
you'd be stupid for SHAVING the tire to match 9000mile tire....

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Geekapoo long time no post. Thought you had fallen off the face of the earth.

I am normally one to say at the minimum you need to get 2 tires and should probably get all four. But seeing how few miles you have I would just order a replacement for the single damaged tire.

·
Premium Member
SLK 230
1,498 Posts
"if one tire has a nail, the 4 tires and rims are ruined. You definitely need to get rid of everything associated with that nail."

LOL

·
Registered
SLK 320
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yo 430,

Fallen off the face of the earth? LOL. No, things have just been VERY intense of late work-wise and I've not been frequenting as many chats (and frequenting music chat sites more than car/photography/science sites). Good to hear from ya. I'll try to have more of a presence (and try not to be tooooo rowdy LOL).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts