Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a 600 convertible from 98 up, and have reservations about the 12 cyl engine. Does anyone have any info on problems and or pros & cons of this power plant?

Arty

·
Registered
92 300E
78 Posts
I just bought an SL500 and kind of wish that I'd looked a bit harder at the SL600. Seems ...

I just bought an SL500 and kind of wish that I'd looked a bit harder at the SL600. Seems that everyone is afraid of that V12, which brings the price almost on par with the SL500's.

I have heard, however, that the V12 is a pretty solid engine - no problems and they are supposed to last a long time. But I have heard that the whole car can be more exepensive to work on in general 1) Just because it's an SL600, and 2) Because the engine compartment is really tight with teh V12 shoe horned in there and makes it more difficult to get to everything else.

Gas mileage-wise, it doesn't seem to do too badly - only 1-2 MPG behind the SL500's. I think that the exotic and performance elements of having an SL600 would be worth it.

So, my read of it is that there are no explicit problems, but a bit more expensive to work on. Other that that, not a bad car.

·
Registered
500SL
2 Posts

The 600 is very very nice.
Unlike the 500, a 600 is all leather, Dash, Door handles & trim, and from what I understand even the interior lining of the soft top is clad in leather. There is a reason why it was significantly more expensive than the 500. The sound of the V12 is also distincly more european in sound especially when the exhaust is modified.
On the other hand, I've talked to some independent MBZ mechanics and most are fairly reluctant to work on the motors, and generally refer them back to the dealership. I have also heard that the added weight of the motor effects the balance of the car, making it "push" in the turns.
Just based on the exclusivity of the car alone could make it a good deal, especially if you hold onto the car for a while. [8)]

·
Registered
4 Posts
[8D] Hi Arty, have u found your sl 600 yet ? They are really wonderful vehicles. Mine ...

[8D] Hi Arty, have u found your sl 600 yet ? They are really wonderful vehicles. Mine is older, a 1995 model but I love it to the ends of the earth. They are so quiet you almost forget if you remembered to turn the key at times...lol! They are loaded with comfy options and my favorite is the heated seat, not just a "bun warmer" it also warms your back when it hurts from driving too long, even though you can adjust the seat all over the place! lol
The Bose system sounds like heaven, everything in the cockpit is convenient.....except the ashtray (for those who smoke) you have to bend your arm into an odd position to get the ashes in there! And of course my pet peeve....no drink holder!!! They did all that work and design thinking and left that out!! haha! Guess they figure if u get really thirsty u will stop and have a drink![:D]

·
Registered
C280,500SL,Ferraris
11 Posts
SL 600

Artie: An acquaitance of mine has the newest 600 spyder, and he loves it. My understanding is the same as the previous person who posted the message about reliable and high-performance engine with high maitenance cost. My acquaintance says the same thing, "Maintaining the 12s cost more, but they are NOT troublesome."

So, I don't know your financial threshold or whether or not you have one, but be prepared to pay more for 12 cyl. maitenance and service.

·
Registered
21 Posts
oracle1

could you please kindly tell me why you call the SL600 "spyder"? i have a sl500 and am thinking to replace it with a 600. life is too short and i want max power, better stereo and more wood/leather. it takes a major effort to upgrade anything in the sl500, it is so much less-stressful to buy a car with all the "already-there" original stuffs.

·
Registered
1999 SL600 Sport
2 Posts
I am looking for a 600 convertible from 98 up, and have reservations about the 12 cyl engine. Does anyone have any info on problems and or pros & cons of this power plant?

Arty
I'm on my second SL600 and wonder if the naysayers here are speaking from personal experience. Mine have both been fine cars with very little maintenance required. The V12 would be expensive to repair if you blew it up, but fortunately it's a rock solid engine, even described as bulltetproof. Of course, an extended warranty will give you some peace of mind against a major breakdown. Check for leaks. The 95 had a few, the 99 is dry as a bone underneath.

Gas mileage isn't all that bad. Of course if you put your foot in it, the gauge drops pretty fast. I get around 14-15 in town and 19-20 on the road and I don't drive with my horn.

Other differences in the 500/600 are the 600 has a real leather stitched dash and some extra interior leather trim items, more wood on the console, ADS is standard, nicer steering wheel, etc. I'm not sure, but the phone may be included, too.

But most important of all is that magnificent engine. I can be rolling along, just keeping up with traffic, doing 80 on the freeway and if I burp the gas to change lanes, I'm up over 100 so quickly I don't even notice it. It's not the blustery, noisy type of acceleration as a Vette or Porsche, but an understated silky smooth firm pressure on your back. I've seen 140 on the way to Vegas and made the 270 mile trip in exactly three hours in absolute comfort. If I could find a decent road I'd see if it really does top out at 155.

My tag reads WSPR JET. It's a jet that whispers.

The 99 is a better buy than the 98 and earlier in that the 99-2002 are almost identical throughout--you get the last iteration of the R129 model.

And the Sport trim package adds a lot to this model. It includes not only the great looking AMG wheels, but Xenon lights and sculptured side skirts that enhance the wedge shape of the car and make it look like it's in motion.

The 500 does not include hand stitched dash.

From MBUSA:
Package SL1 The SL-Class Sport Package 8.0Jx18 front and 9.0Jx18 rear AMG monoblock thin-spoke alloy wheels.2 245/40ZR18 front and 275/35ZR18 rear performance tires. Aerodynamically sculpted lower bodywork. Projector-beam front foglamps. $4,970

The 600 includes:

http://www.mbusa.com/brand/containe...ec=1&category=6

Seating and trim

10-way power seats with 3-position memory. Leather upholstery, including seat backs, seat side panels, head restraints and door trim inserts.

Glove-soft Nappa leather seating surfaces.

Heated Seats.

Exclusive leather interior trim on doors, dash, console, roll bar and inside hardtop.

Leather-trimmed steering wheel and shift knob. Burl walnut or chestnut wood trim on doors, dash, console and shift gate. Velour floor carpeting and floor mats.

Wood and leather trimmed steering wheel and shift knob. Laser-cut wood rolltop cover for center console storage compartment.

Audio, navigation and communication

Bose® sound system with 6 speakers plus Acoustimass® bass module. Automatic speed-sensitive volume adjustment.

AM/FM stereo/weatherband radio with scan and dual-sensitivity seek tuning, concealed autoreverse cassette player with music search, and antitheft coding. Multifunction operating panel includes integrated controls and displays for radio, cassette player, optional CD changer and optional portable cellular telephone.

Automatic electric AM/FM/cellular antenna.

Integrated trunk-mounted 6-disc CD changer.1

Integrated docking portable cellular telephone.1

1Center installed when ordered as individual options. factory installed when standard or when CD changer is ordered as part of Package SL2.

And standard on 600, optional on 500:

Adaptive Damping System(ADS) Standard ADS automatically selects one of four damping profiles every time a wheel changes its direction of up-down travel. ADS also includes automatic 4-wheel level control, driver-selectable ride height with speed-sensitive automatic lowering, and a driver-selectable sport mode.

I love this car. I would pull it into my living room so I could wax it during the evening while watching TV if I could.

See my web page for more photos

Attachments

·
Registered
C280,500SL,Ferraris
11 Posts
1992500SL: RE: Spyder and SL600

Hi, 1992500SL. Spyder means convertible; my understanding is that Europeans don't use the term convertible -- instead they use the term spyder or cabriolet. I use spyder because I thought that people would understand it as convertible, and it's habitual for me because Ferrari uses the term spyder to mean convertible. I refrained using cabriolet because it seems to be associated with Porsche and VW convertibles.

I agree with you in that life is way too short to compromise the need for speed, and I definitely don't believe in engine modifications, unless you are going to do track/racing events. My philosophy is, for only street cars/daily drivers, if you want a faster car, buy one.

I definitely love the SL600 -- my acquaintance has the newest one, and it is a kick in the pants -- you won't be disappointed! Expect higher cost for service and maintenance -- I don't know your financial threshold, or if you have one at all, just be aware.

·
Registered
C280,500SL,Ferraris
11 Posts
Beautiful car, John.

I don't have one, but I've driven my acquaintance's 2003 SL600, and I agree with your write-up in the performance, maintenance, and service sections. Keep her on the ground and stay safe!

·
Registered
SL 600
5 Posts
SL 600

Joe, I just purchased a 1999 SL600 last month in Silver with Black Interior/Sport Package. I just had the AMG wheels chromed and they look awesome! The car came with 33,600 miles and a 5 year, zero deductible bumper to bumper warranty. Anyone can pick these warranties up for about $2,500 and they include a wear and tear option.

You've got a great looking car, enjoy.

Rich in San Diego

·
Registered
2000 SL600
14 Posts
SL 600 Warranty

I just purchased an SL600 Sport (2000 model year). The MB dealer want $4000 for warranty. Can you tell me where to buy for $2500--I've looked all over web and no luck--

Bill Miller
[email protected]

·
Registered
97 SL500
1,259 Posts
why dont you put a TV in your garage so you can watch while

cleaning your car?

Arty
I'm on my second SL600 and wonder if the naysayers here are speaking from personal experience. Mine have both been fine cars with very little maintenance required. The V12 would be expensive to repair if you blew it up, but fortunately it's a rock solid engine, even described as bulltetproof. Of course, an extended warranty will give you some peace of mind against a major breakdown. Check for leaks. The 95 had a few, the 99 is dry as a bone underneath.

Gas mileage isn't all that bad. Of course if you put your foot in it, the gauge drops pretty fast. I get around 14-15 in town and 19-20 on the road and I don't drive with my horn.

Other differences in the 500/600 are the 600 has a real leather stitched dash and some extra interior leather trim items, more wood on the console, ADS is standard, nicer steering wheel, etc. I'm not sure, but the phone may be included, too.

But most important of all is that magnificent engine. I can be rolling along, just keeping up with traffic, doing 80 on the freeway and if I burp the gas to change lanes, I'm up over 100 so quickly I don't even notice it. It's not the blustery, noisy type of acceleration as a Vette or Porsche, but an understated silky smooth firm pressure on your back. I've seen 140 on the way to Vegas and made the 270 mile trip in exactly three hours in absolute comfort. If I could find a decent road I'd see if it really does top out at 155.

My tag reads WSPR JET. It's a jet that whispers.

The 99 is a better buy than the 98 and earlier in that the 99-2002 are almost identical throughout--you get the last iteration of the R129 model.

And the Sport trim package adds a lot to this model. It includes not only the great looking AMG wheels, but Xenon lights and sculptured side skirts that enhance the wedge shape of the car and make it look like it's in motion.

The 500 does not include hand stitched dash.

From MBUSA:
Package SL1 The SL-Class Sport Package 8.0Jx18 front and 9.0Jx18 rear AMG monoblock thin-spoke alloy wheels.2 245/40ZR18 front and 275/35ZR18 rear performance tires. Aerodynamically sculpted lower bodywork. Projector-beam front foglamps. $4,970

The 600 includes:

http://www.mbusa.com/brand/containe...ec=1&category=6

Seating and trim

10-way power seats with 3-position memory. Leather upholstery, including seat backs, seat side panels, head restraints and door trim inserts.

Glove-soft Nappa leather seating surfaces.

Heated Seats.

Exclusive leather interior trim on doors, dash, console, roll bar and inside hardtop.

Leather-trimmed steering wheel and shift knob. Burl walnut or chestnut wood trim on doors, dash, console and shift gate. Velour floor carpeting and floor mats.

Wood and leather trimmed steering wheel and shift knob. Laser-cut wood rolltop cover for center console storage compartment.

Audio, navigation and communication

Bose® sound system with 6 speakers plus Acoustimass® bass module. Automatic speed-sensitive volume adjustment.

AM/FM stereo/weatherband radio with scan and dual-sensitivity seek tuning, concealed autoreverse cassette player with music search, and antitheft coding. Multifunction operating panel includes integrated controls and displays for radio, cassette player, optional CD changer and optional portable cellular telephone.

Automatic electric AM/FM/cellular antenna.

Integrated trunk-mounted 6-disc CD changer.1

Integrated docking portable cellular telephone.1

1Center installed when ordered as individual options. factory installed when standard or when CD changer is ordered as part of Package SL2.

And standard on 600, optional on 500:

Adaptive Damping System(ADS) Standard ADS automatically selects one of four damping profiles every time a wheel changes its direction of up-down travel. ADS also includes automatic 4-wheel level control, driver-selectable ride height with speed-sensitive automatic lowering, and a driver-selectable sport mode.

I love this car. I would pull it into my living room so I could wax it during the evening while watching TV if I could.

See my web page for more photos

·
Registered
128 Posts
RE: Beautiful car, John.

A SL600 in 2003, is that identicle to the 2004? I ask because I fell in love with the 2004 SL600 but I couldn't locate any used 2003 SL600s. Infact, the MB doesn't list a 2003 SL600 on it's Starmark site.

Is the 2003 SL600 a twin turbo model too?

I ended up purchasing a 2002 SL500..... waiting for a used 2004 SL600.

C.

·
Registered
12 Posts
[:)][:(!]Just bought a 95 SL600 and it is one spectacular car. Faster than any vette I have driven and VERY MUCH smoother. A friend has one with almost 200,000 miles and no engine problems to speak of and he really doesn't take very good care of it either. I had a problem with the throttle controller body. The wires either melted or the insulation crumbled off. My mechanic replaced it a a cost of $2500 but after I saw it I realized that I could have just re-insulated the wires. (See my posts on SL600 throttle body). In spite of that, Great Car, much nicer than my previous SL500 and a lot faster. (I raced my friends 500 and blew him away).

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just posted some pics of my failed throttle body wires on the gallery. Remember, this part was $2500 and the damage is clearly the result of bad insulation that was used.

·
Registered
98 600sl
33 Posts
Hello, I just picked up a 98 sl600 and love the car. So much power and looks to boot! I do have a problem with the car occasionally getting stuck in gear at times(Usually after I punch it). It has got to be a computer glitch. The problem is rectified after I restart te engine.
Also I am not too pleased that the car is pumping out almost 400hp and your not able to even tell that it is running. I am more of a rumble man myself.
All in all...get the best...go for the 600sl!

·
Registered
1998 SL 600
23 Posts
I recently purchased a 1998 SL 600 with 12,200 miles on it.

It is a beautiful automobile and an absolute joy to drive!

I was very pleased with the responsiveness of the V-12 and still amazed at how incredibly quiet it is.

I wanted a 600 because of the V-12 - It makes it just a little bit more unique than the 500.

In the one month I've had it it's been flawless......of course I'll probably be crying all the way to the poor-house if it ever breaks! [:D]

·
Registered
'05 SL65 AMG
505 Posts
I was having the same problem with my SL600 when I first bouht it. After about a month it went away. I attributed it to the car sitting on the car lot for a while. A year later the transmission shifts great

·
Registered
98 600sl
33 Posts
hey thanks for that reply. The problem seems to have gone away and it may have been because it was sitting in the garage too much. Dont know why but it is good enough for me!
Also I just replaced my front brakes. Cost me $37 at the local auto store and was very easy to change!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts