Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2001 E320 Wagon
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had this issue? (I found some vague possibilities for a culprit from a search, but no direct post or thread)

THis just started in the last couple of weeks. When we start the car the wiper cycles once across the windshield even though the wiper is not turned on. A couple of times it stayed on for several seconds and made a few passes.

Ideas? Could this be related to the rain sensor even if the wiper is not on?

I read one thread that talked about a relay, but that wasn't directly related to my specific problem.

thanks!!!

-Greg

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
You won't believe me..

Check pg 123 of your Owner's Manual - or go to mbusa.com and download a pdf copy.

It's quite common that the stalk gets accidently/easily reset to position #1 which is rain sensor rather than position ).

When in rain sensor it does exactly as you describe when the kye is moved out of locked position.

The couple-of-swipes has to do when there is minor evening dirt/misc on the sensor area but as that stays constant low level the system ignores after a couple of wipes - auto is one wipe.

Keep the beat !

·
Registered
2001 E320 Wagon
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check pg 123 of your Owner's Manual - or go to mbusa.com and download a pdf copy.

It's quite common that the stalk gets accidently/easily reset to position #1 which is rain sensor rather than position ).

When in rain sensor it does exactly as you describe when the kye is moved out of locked position.

The couple-of-swipes has to do when there is minor evening dirt/misc on the sensor area but as that stays constant low level the system ignores after a couple of wipes - auto is one wipe.

Keep the beat !
yeah that does seems to be the case. So how do I reset/fix it?

·
Registered
2001 E320 Wagon
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Keep the beat !
Just to make this clear. The wiper is in the "O" or "off" position on the stalk. Obviously this would make sense if it was on the intermittent/rain sensor position on the stalk.
I find it suspect that the wiper is still cycling, even though it is off at the stalk.

Ideas??

Perhaps I should just unplug the rain sensor??

1 - 4 of 4 Posts