Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay here goes.I found a gorgeous silver s500 with 122,+++ miles at a donated car auction.
The car is mint inside and out.Someones husband passed away and the Mrs. donated the car.
I know the guys that run the auction really well.Thats the good.
The not so good is the car was driven to the auction from the Mrs. residence and worked perfect in every way.
After the detailers cleaned the interior the car wont start with the key.it can be started going direct to the starter .

They put the key in and the alarm goes off and the engine is a no start no crank.
The cigarette lighter fuse looks good but it was pouring down rain at the auction yard and they removed the battery and were selling the car in the dead cars pile vs ready to drive off cars.
So there I am soaking wet trying to figure out if i want the car(i do very much)
They didn't sell it for the price they wanted.I bid $1900 and was the high bidder but the minimum that they would sell is $2200.
Due to the condition of this car, i am still interested and the manager will let me buy it for the asking price.2 days to decide.

I'm just baffled about what the interior detailers could have done to the car.Only thoughts were that the ignition switch got doused with something or they went under the back seat and knocked the PSE around looking for coins ect.
I understand there will be a long series of checks before its solved.Could be simple. Could be more time consuming.I don't have the car as of yet so trying to diagnose so soon is futile.Been reading similar problems on the forum and way too many suggestions to wade through.Complex car to say the least.
The auctioneers tried to fix it but they have zero knowledge of the w140.I have some know how having owned a 1993 400sel for 2 years and several other benz's over the last 27 years.

Preliminary help anyone?
thanks,Rexall

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol.Wish I could just do that.If it were that easy and cheap I would have a rather large fleet of w140s at the house.
Whiteys Auction - Vehicle Auctions in Olympia Washington and Pacific Washington.
Lot of real decent cars pass through the auction.
Got a c280 ,190e,450sel and 280sel for cheap and all fixed for little cash outlay.Other peoples labor is what kills the mercedes itch.

Rexall.

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP
6,543 Posts
It sounds as though the alarm is armed. Put the key in the ignition and within 3 seconds press any button on the remote. this will re sync the key and it should turn the alarm off when you open with the remote

1 - 4 of 4 Posts