Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Here in town a local dealer has a 89 560SEL for sale. You can see it at Kansas City Ford Lincoln Mercury Mazda Dealers | Rob Sight Auto Plaza | Kansas City MO ......go to there used section and you can find it there. How much is this car truly worth? Any major issues with this year? I have driven the car and all seems well. Things I've noticed are: needs tires balanced, squeaky front right strut. If you look at the pics they dont do the car justice. It's incredible. It's a two owner car and has been serviced regularly.

What would YOU pay for this car?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,245 Posts
Before you make your decision you need to have the car inspected by someone who knows these vehicles.

There is a farily comprehensive list on mbcoupes.com. Take that list with you and ask the mechanic for a Pre-Purchase Inspection using that list as his worksheet.

Based on the number of issues that turn up you can determine if the price of the car is worth your while.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
If the car checks out mechanically and cosmetically, no significant issues, and has some service history, it's a $4500 car. They probably paid $2500 for it. Unless it's truly spectacular, all original paint/panels, complete service history, all big items like chain/head gaskets done already, etc. Then maybe $6K or more.

I have one that's a 1989 silver/grey, 111K miles, very nice cosmetic shape, lots of records, new head gaskets and chain inspected/parts replaced, lots of new parts, drives and looks great. And it's a $7K car.

The inspection is CRITICAL; these are not Hondas where a new A/C system is $400 and atune up is $119. If the A/C is only cool. and not cold, that could cost you $2K. If head gaskets are starting to leak, that's $1500. If timing chain is not good, that's $1500. So it's easy to drive it/look at it and feel like everything is pretty much OK, and then need to put $5K (easy!) into the car.

So be careful; the reason these cars get sold/traded so often around 120K-150K miles is that they are coming up on a lot of expensive work which costs more than the car is worth.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i bought it

well i bought the car. paid $120 for the benz dealer to tell me why i shouldn't buy it. I took in all the service records for them to review when they did the ppi.

while waiting service advisor came to the waiting room and say please come with me i need to show you something. we head into the garage where the tech has the car and says "if you don't buy this car the tech will". the tech said he could find no rust and all service was up to date. he took the car out said the engine, tranny, and all systems were great.

so i went to the lincoln dealer that had it and bought it. No i stole it. the guy said we just wanna move it. it felt like "I" was ripping the dealer off.

this is my first w126 and I love it. my god its fast. the palamino leather is incredible.

thanks for all your input.

·
Registered
1983 300SD,2002 ML500,(MBCA Member)
961 Posts
89 560sel

allandrussell said:
well i bought the car. paid $120 for the benz dealer to tell me why i shouldn't buy it. I took in all the service records for them to review when they did the ppi.

while waiting service advisor came to the waiting room and say please come with me i need to show you something. we head into the garage where the tech has the car and says "if you don't buy this car the tech will". the tech said he could find no rust and all service was up to date. he took the car out said the engine, tranny, and all systems were great.

so i went to the lincoln dealer that had it and bought it. No i stole it. the guy said we just wanna move it. it felt like "I" was ripping the dealer off.

this is my first w126 and I love it. my god its fast. the palamino leather is incredible.

Welcome to the forum.

Good luck with your ride.

Pl. post some pics.

Cheers

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
Sounds well bought, congrats

allandrussell said:
well i bought the car. paid $120 for the benz dealer to tell me why i shouldn't buy it.
No, consider it as due diligence, you simply did your homework. A very wise move. It's amazing that you would find a good example of a car like this at a ford dealer's lot. They would normally have NO interest or interest in a car like this, and that old. Customer's don't trade these in on Fords, so it was a unique situation, or for some reason they got it at an auction and hoped to flip it.
Not likely, though, auction cars never come with records. For that matter, neither do dealer used cars, so you were VERY fortunate

I took in all the service records for them to review when they did the ppi.
Would have shown them, (if at all) to the tech AFTER he'd performed the PPI. No matter, it's a moot point now.

while waiting service advisor came to the waiting room and say please come with me i need to show you something. we head into the garage where the tech has the car and says "if you don't buy this car the tech will".
Could be true, but then to me it sounds like a big city dealer pitch to sell the car, too.

Especially in cases where you had the service advisor at the shop of the dealer who is selling the car, look at the car. Which is what it sounds like here. (Was it?) Again, though, it's a moot point, you bought it.

the tech said he could find no rust and all service was up to date. he took the car out said the engine, tranny, and all systems were great.
Assuming it was a Mercedes tech, that is great, and what you needed to know.

Maybe so, they "blow one out" every once in a while, especially if it's an oddball, or it sat there on the lot too long and they are tired of looking at it. Great! Strange, finding it at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury place though. Perhaps the dealers in the Midwest are more honest and straight up than on the E. and W. Coasts.

Pictures are always welcomed. What color? Fast, just wait till one fine day when all is well with the world and you decide to probe its limits. Floor it at 90 mph and hold.
Last upshift will come at around 120 mph, but you'll scarcely notice. If your tires are good, and properly speed rated, you will be doing fine at 145 mph, but the cork will be pretty much out of the bottle by then. They are designed to cruise at their top speed, all day long. Not just political promises: ask it to go, and it'll GO!

And, best of all, you've scored a superbly engineered, safe, durable, comfortable, high German quality, ultra expensive when new, uber-long lasting car that you can keep for a LONG time.

Just take care of it, and feed it premium 91 octane gas, always. Its injectors will thank you.

As it's a sedan, probably you won't want to "accessorize it" or rice it out.
But there are a handful of things you might want to consider: A factory skid plate (to protect the oil pan), a good set of floormats (Weathertech are excellent, and cheap for what you get), a bottle of touchup paint from the dealer,
a spare set of keys, Euro lights for it, a huge performance benefit and aesthetic upgrade from them, and a rubber trunk mat maybe.

Good quality fitted sheepskins really work and protect the leather (I have had them from Ramshead manufactures custom sheepskin seat covers for autos, trucks and airplanes. Sheepskin slippers too. for over 10 years, and still like them, expensive, but vacuum every once in awhile and they would last you six years, I was told (Mine are OK at 10 years!!).

The Becker radios weren't much good, so you could upgrade the Stereo too if you want.

I'd think about changing the fuses in any case. And, I would stay away from K & N air filters. Factory MB ones are just fine.

Good catch! The car will last you, well, a LOOONG time, and you will really like it, especially with your sig history showing years of owning Mercedes with lesser engines than the mighty 560.

Jim B:thumbsup:

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
As an aside, I've had dealers inspect a car, tell the owner it's Great..just needs a belt or two, perhaps rear pads.. They come in and 5-6K later the car is back in proper order.

Most tech's at the dealer don't know a 126 from their ..........

Better to find an indy that still deals with these cars days in and day out...or, if you can find the 50+ year old guy @ the dealer you'll stand a chance.

Jonathan

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the inspection was done at the benz dealer NOT the ford dealer. I requested the senior tech (he's been there 30+ years) do the inspection. my service advisor know what i want and has never done me wrong and he knows his benz's too. he has a collection of benz's including a gullwing.

the ford dealer allowed me to call the previous owner. he traded the car in due to becoming disabled and unable to drive any longer and got a handcap van.

i'll post pics soon.

·
Registered
1982 380 SEL
235 Posts
No way!! Finally another member from Kansas City! I live in Olathe, about a stones throw from Overland Park. Welcome to the forum and good luck with the new ride.

As long you've already had this car inspected properly, it shouldn't need any attention. But should you need something in the future you should definitely consider Morrie's Auto shop, unless you like spending an arm and a leg. A friend told me about Morrie's after my rear control arm snapped in my 380 SEL. He said his dad refused to take his Mercedes (two of them) anywhere else. Long story short he's already saved me a couple thousand dollars. He just rebuilt my transmission and replaced my motor mounts for $1363. Mercedes-Benz of Kansas City on Stateline said that it would cost over $4000 for them to put a rebuilt transmission into my car.

It's kinda in a sketchy part of town way up on Kansas Avenue, but I've never had a problem leaving my car there for weeks at a time. If you ever need a part this guy will have it. He has piles of old Mercedes around his shop, and apparently he has an off site warehouse with even more to pull from. I was at his shop Wednesday to ask him a question and he had more than a full shop. He doesn't work on only Mercedes, but they are his forte. In the shop he had a non Mercedes car on all four lifts. He had a Porsche 944 in the back room. He had two 560 SLs. He had one 560 SEL. He had one w140 with no model badge, a minivan, and a Toyota. These were all inside his shop already. Out in the street, waiting to get into his shop, I counted 13 Mercedes, some old some new.

Anyways, I can't recommend this guy enough. He has at least 5-6 guys that work for him, but Morrie is the Mercedes encyclopedia of the group. His number is (913) 281-5300. Should your new car ever need anything I would first take it to Aristocrat for an estimate. Remember the price and then drive to Morries. Ask for an estimate, then call Aristocrat back and laughingly tell them to go F* themselves.

Good luck with the 560. I'm actually on the market for one myself.

·
Registered
2000 e320 4matic
3,401 Posts
Congratulations. The car is gone from the dealer site. How many miles on her and what was the asking price?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts