Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently uncovered my 99CLK430 and charged the battery. I went to start it and nothing not even the interiors lights came on. So I figure that I possibly have had a squirrel or chipmunk vandalize some of my wires. In order for me to get under the car I need to move it. Is there a way to put my car in neutral to roll it and have it towed so I can put it on a lift??

·
Registered
2002 CLK 430 & 2001.5 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax EC/LB LB7
356 Posts
Check out the Owner's Manual. There is a way that you can take a screw driver to push a button inside the shift column area. I believe that is the only way you can "unlock" the transmission. Check it out, I believe it will work for you.

-Zack

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Zack

I will check that out tonight when I get home. I also have to check and see if there is a way to unlock the steering column.

·
Registered
CLS550 Master Lease, 1990 300zxTT, 2000 camry
361 Posts
Unfortunatly there is no way that I know of to unlock the steering column if your battery is dead. If your battery is more than 3 years old I would replace it before going to anything more complicated.

·
Registered
99CLK320
1,480 Posts
Battery

if your battery wouldn't take a charge, it's toast. Mine is 10 years old and doing fine but I haven't stress tested it to see what kind of cranking power it has left. I doubt you wiring has been vandalized by varmints. Interstate battery will stress test your battery for free. Also, I forget who mentioned it, but the comment was that there are only two battery manufacturers in the US and the battery the Sam's offers to replace the OEM is the same as the original. FWIW.

·
Registered
CLS550 Master Lease, 1990 300zxTT, 2000 camry
361 Posts
Well thats not entirely correct most of our batteries are made in france or spain. Just so you know can call mercedes roadside and they will come install a battery in your car for free, you only have to pay for the battery which unfortunatly is almost $200.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I replaced the battery with one I had laying around. Is there anything else it might be? I checked everything that I can get to easily.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if your battery wouldn't take a charge, it's toast. Mine is 10 years old and doing fine but I haven't stress tested it to see what kind of cranking power it has left. I doubt you wiring has been vandalized by varmints. Interstate battery will stress test your battery for free. Also, I forget who mentioned it, but the comment was that there are only two battery manufacturers in the US and the battery the Sam's offers to replace the OEM is the same as the original. FWIW.
Why do you doubt that I could've had a varmint chew some wiring??

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
THANKS for everyones input and advice. Hopefully this weekend I will have some time to get my car running.

·
Registered
99CLK320
1,480 Posts
Why do you doubt

cuz most everything on the car is well protected. I suppose some critter could have crawled up under your hood and singled out one of your hot wire to lunch on. also: I had my battery stress tested at Interstate battery today and the technoid said it was still putting out 800ah.

·
Registered
2002 CLK 430 & 2001.5 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax EC/LB LB7
356 Posts
We hope so too! It's one thing to have a Benz, but another thing to be ENJOYING it!

(I like my quote!) lol
-Zack

1 - 12 of 12 Posts