Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
quick update, i picked up a 98 SL500 last week. typical flordia paidfor in full old person SL. Car looks like it has never been waxed and never had any leather tratment. I spent all weekend on the car doing a major clean up and it turned out wonderful. Its amazing how good the paint in on german cars...

So onto my question and problmes...

1) with the soft top when the car flexes like when you go over a but or take off fast the red button for the top flashed and i get ding ding ding. You can push down on the button and the back of the top moved maybe 3/4 to a half inch and it quits.
Is there a sensor for this or is it just and adjustment?

2) side window glass apparently has a clip missing, when you shut the door it sound like the window is going to fall out. I was going to try to take the door pannel off, but with the door air bags im not sure if i should that my self or not. What are you thought on this.

3) Suspension, Have any of you replaced the shocks on your car. This drives fine but it has a lot of body roll and the up and down movement like the old 70-80's caddies had. I dont know if they have changed the ride over they years but the 91, and 95 we had was a lot stiffer. If you have replaced the shocks did you use factory mb stuff or did you use something from the local parts store.

4) brakes, they are not to the "squeelers" nor do i have the brake light on yet, but you can tell its going to need pads and the roters turned or new roters. Where is the best place to score these and do you have any suggestions.

5) Windscrean. At some point some one has stolen the gold package, wheels, and windscrean, which is fine i hate gold, The chrome wheels would have been nice but the seller made adjustments for this. So im searching for a good priced windscrean. I called mb and they said it was $600.00!

Sorry for all the questions guys, but my loacl dealer is a waste of time. Also i have not been around a SL for close to 10 years. So any suggestion would be wonderful.

·
Registered
1990 500SL
146 Posts
i have a windscreen from my 1990 500SL... i dont use it much at all. it still looks practically new... make me a offer if your interested... they sell on ebay for around 250-300 i have noticed.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
might be poor adjustment but the rams for these tops are known to go bad w/ time.

You'll have to get the door off to see what's what.. Yes, working around air bags can be tricky, I have yet to pull an air bag equiped door panel.

Shocks are going to be Very expensive.. Being a 98 I'm wagering you have ASD. Last time I checked it was around 7 a piece for rears, close to 8 for fronts.
I'm wagering something is wrong w/ your's...I had a 97 Sl600 for a while and it handled like it was on rails.

As far as breaks, I can recomend myself, but regardless of where you purchase the bits I would recomend the Balo rotors and Pagid pads...I've tried a number of other combinations on my cars and have been most pleased w/ the above combo.

Windscreen's are expensive.. You can try ebay or I can look into what I can get one to you for.

With all of that in mind, it might be worth while to take the car to the Stealership to see if you are throwing any codes for the suspension or roof bits.

Congrats on the 'new' ride!

Jonathan

·
Registered
SL500, ML320, E320
538 Posts
KERR:
Congrats on your acquisition.

I used a windscreen on our 560SL's and it worked well in reducing cockpit buffeting. So when we bought our first 129 SL, I rushed out and forked over nearly $300 as I recall for a screen for the new car.

Now on our second 129, we rarely use it because it doesn't seem to have nearly the effectiveness and frankly, I prefer the look of the car without it.

I've posted the same sentiment on this forum in the past and others disagree saying they think air currents are greatly reduced. I'm puzzled how there can be such a diversity of opinion but accept it as a matter of preference.

My point is-- try to borrow a windscreen from someone and try it before you plunk down $250-300. I'd be interested in your evaluation.

Regards-

·
Registered
clk350
71 Posts
I agree with CQRT.

Up, down, it doesn't seem to make any difference at all!

And now knowing that pup could cost 300-600 to replace? It's staying put in the trunk. Was using it as a sort of tonneau cover.

·
Registered
SL 600
45 Posts
As for removing the door panels, first remove the ground leg from the battery. Then remove the connector on the SRS unit behind the centre console.
If you don't, prepare for a facefull![B)]

·
Registered
2000 SL320, 2003 E320
7 Posts
Windscreen makes a huge difference, you should get one as soon as possible. I can't believe people don't notice the difference, especially at high speeds i.e. 60 plus

·
BenzWorld Elite Member
2004 SL55, 2006 Range Rover Supercharged, 2013 Infiniti M37
312 Posts
I agree, it is a matter of preference, but as we all purchased a "convertible", why don't we all drive with the top & windows down and enjoy the ride!!

When I first purchased the car my wife begged me to use the windscreen, it made a slight difference but once I broke her from the habit its remained in the trunk.

Brett

·
Registered
SL60 ///AMG
110 Posts
Pigzmickey - 5/3/2005 11:09 AM
.... Then remove the connector on the SRS unit behind the centre console....[B)]
Not necessary. Just disconnect the battery and remove the door side. I have done it twice and no bags explode [:D]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts