Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1973 416 Doka, 1978 416 Doka, 1980 416 Doka..... Help me, I can't stop buying them!!!
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, need some info on a 85' Euro 300D that I am looking to buy for my son for school. It has had the turbo motor swapped in as well as a 5 speed. (was a 4 speed manual to start with) So what should I look for as trouble spots or mistakes in doing the motor and tranny swap? Car is a basic Euro with roll up windows and crank sunroof. Power locks on just the front doors. Has no rust, and cold AC, at least that is what the owner is stating. Just need to know what to look for, as I don't know much about the cars. Unimogs I know inside and out, so any info will be helpful. thanks, Von

·
Registered
1981 W123 300D non turbo, 1992 190E 1.8 <=> 2.0
6,561 Posts
First thing - find out if the correct 300D manual flywheel was fitted or if it was the slightly lighter 240D one. It should be noticeable when you drive it the revs will drop off quicker with a lighter flywheel.

Check for any weird looking transmission mounts

Check for rough running of the getrag gear box - they are apparently not as robust as the 4 speed ZFs. If it is a W123 diesel 5 speed the gear box should be a 717.400 I believe.

Check to see if it is some weird W201 5 speed conversion with a strange hole where the starter would have been or a weird welded bell housing or some sort of back street modified non MB thang - I don't know what could be imagined or rigged but I reckon something that has been seriously modified from something else rather than a non-turbo factory 5 speed mounted to an OM617a has a different value...

Look at the condition of the propshaft and make sure that there are no signs of out of balance forces doing their evil deeds.

·
Registered
5 Speed "85" Euro TD , 5 speed "85" Euro 240D, "79" 5 spd 240D, 5 spd "94" Dodge/Cummins PU
664 Posts
If he had a 4 spd tranny in it before I would think they left the flywheel alone and just swapped boxes, mount and all the rest of it. Unless the F/F went away with the old motor. Good to check and make sure its a sanitary job.

·
Registered
1973 416 Doka, 1978 416 Doka, 1980 416 Doka..... Help me, I can't stop buying them!!!
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I picked up the 300D today in RI and my son drove it home 400 miles without a hitch! The 5 speed is wonderful behind the turbo motor. Just need to spruce up a few things and fix a few minor items and my son should have one of the nicest cars on campus this year!:D
Here are a few photos of it, and I am sure we will have a few questions about it in the days to come.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts