Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes 300te
1,970 Posts
It looks like the belt tensioner adjusting screw. You have to loosen the the bolt on the tensioner first before turning that one. Those are available just in case the threads are gone.
Did you replace your belts?

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E 91
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no, I was just checking it, and when I touched it, it was loose. so i tired to tighten it, but then i felt like it some how broke,,, so I am wondering if I fucked it up...

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,758 Posts
The steps to adjust belt tension are very specific. You MUST loosen the center mounting bolt on the tensioner (either a 10mm allen or 19mm bolt) FIRST and LAST. Loosen the mount bolt, adjust the tensioner, tighten the mount bolt. Failure to do this critical step will cause the adjuster rod/bolt to strip the threads. This is by design. You can replace the rod and adjuster bolt.

Jayare

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E 91
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh, does not sound to good... will the car run without taking damage?
how can i fix this?
I need help,,,

·
Premium Member
Current, 90 300CE, 92 400E (Sold 95 E320,70 250C, 91 190 2.6, 91 420 SEL, 95 300D, 87 TD)
1,702 Posts
is it bad if I drive around with this problem?
If the belt is TIGHT then no should be OK..if it is not then the belt will slip. When you go to change the belt that part will have to be replaced. German Star has them for a good price. It is kind of a PITA job though doable. EPC online has the exploded view of the job and is nice to look and the one nut towards the back is easy to loose down in the depths of the intake manifold so be careful. The Allen bolt the guys are referring to is located below the water pump left of the power steering pump. It is hard to see use a mirror and a light to find it.

·
Registered
86 300e Anke
1,252 Posts
EDIT: Disclaimer: I cannot tell for certain if this IS a left-hand thread setup or not... take all the below with some salt.

You didnt provide much detail about how you 'broke it'... but

This 'nut' is LEFT-HAND THREAD... meaning that turning it RIGHT 'removes' it from the bolt/rod it attaches to... and, when working correctly, PUSHES the rod DOWN to tighten the belt (when the main bolt is loose enough).

If youve been turnig it RIGHT and suddenly it seems 'broken' it has likely come off the end of the bolt/rod it threads onto. (EDIT) OR has stripped as was mentioned before...

One way to know for sure would be to turn it LEFT onto the rod (hoping ot goes on straight), and see if the 'nut' starts retreating into the hole and/or becomes difficult to turn (also an indication that it is on crooked... unfortunately). if EITHER of these happens you are likely okay.... pending confirmation that the tensioner is working well and the main bolt is tight.

Hope that helps some! :D

·
Premium Member
Current, 90 300CE, 92 400E (Sold 95 E320,70 250C, 91 190 2.6, 91 420 SEL, 95 300D, 87 TD)
1,702 Posts
EDIT: Disclaimer: I cannot tell for certain if this IS a left-hand thread setup or not... take all the below with some salt.

You didnt provide much detail about how you 'broke it'... but

This 'nut' is LEFT-HAND THREAD... meaning that turning it RIGHT 'removes' it from the bolt/rod it attaches to... and, when working correctly, PUSHES the rod DOWN to tighten the belt (when the main bolt is loose enough).

If youve been turnig it RIGHT and suddenly it seems 'broken' it has likely come off the end of the bolt/rod it threads onto. (EDIT) OR has stripped as was mentioned before...

One way to know for sure would be to turn it LEFT onto the rod (hoping ot goes on straight), and see if the 'nut' starts retreating into the hole and/or becomes difficult to turn (also an indication that it is on crooked... unfortunately). if EITHER of these happens you are likely okay.... pending confirmation that the tensioner is working well and the main bolt is tight.

Hope that helps some! :D
I just did this job and it IS indeed left counter clockwise to TIGHTEN...Righty LOSOSY backwards...counter intuitive....Aka the wrong way IS the right way:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts