Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
99 ML320
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to replace the old bose unit and changer in my truck with this:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-AqjxwAIxRhM/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?I=023LOSCD74&wm=cl

According to Crutchfield it "should" fit, and no installation kit is needed...

What will I need to do to make this work, I assume it isn't as plug and play as I'd like? Will the bose speakers work (the Blaupunkt says it'll do 4-8ohm speakers)?

Will I need to remove the Bose amp? Will I need new speakers?

I'm fairly handy at installing stuff like this, but I've learned to understand that the MB may be a little weird in the audio department...

TIA!

·
Registered
681 Posts
You have to make it PLUG n PLAY
and for this you will need a PLUG :) http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERCEDES-STEREO-RADIO-WIRE-HARNESS-ANTENNA-ADAPTER-NR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38636QQitemZ8052825869QQrdZ1

·
Registered
06' GTO, 04' R1 220HP, 98 ML 320, 03 Range Rover, 05 kx250
33 Posts
Hi scooby,
Just a few things to keep in mind (take it with a grain of salt as im considered a n00b :) but the factory amp does not work well with aftermarket headunits. I went through 2 audiobahns with and an alpine before settling with the kenwood excellon 25th anniversary edition (1 din unit) all ordered from crutchfield. (they were very good about replacing and exchanging units) The reason I went through a nice spread was due to an annoying hum that would come through the speakers when i finally got them to power on. I tried low level inputs but no to no avail.

Another thing to be careful with is with the harness you will recieve. It will be designed for a VW/Audi but crutchfield will tell you they are universal. This is semi-factual. The remote antenna power (don't remember but i believe is orange) will actually trip the bose amp to power on instead of triping the non-existent power antenna that crutchfield apparently states will. I omitted this wire and could not hear sound (for obvious reasons)

Yet another issue is the antenna/vw/german car adapter. It didn't show up until 3 weeks after I recieved my radio. Obviously I purchased one locally as they are very cheap(figure between 5-15$ depending on who your friends are)

Keep in mind that crutchfield will be VERY helpful as I called them at very akward hours and I believe have 24hr support.

Again these are minor issues but I figured I might as well make my first post a helpful one.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
99 ML320
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mxrider503 - 4/3/2006 12:19 AM

Hi scooby,
Just a few things to keep in mind (take it with a grain of salt as im considered a n00b :) but the factory amp does not work well with aftermarket headunits. I went through 2 audiobahns with and an alpine before settling with the kenwood excellon 25th anniversary edition (1 din unit) all ordered from crutchfield. (they were very good about replacing and exchanging units) The reason I went through a nice spread was due to an annoying hum that would come through the speakers when i finally got them to power on. I tried low level inputs but no to no avail.

Another thing to be careful with is with the harness you will recieve. It will be designed for a VW/Audi but crutchfield will tell you they are universal. This is semi-factual. The remote antenna power (don't remember but i believe is orange) will actually trip the bose amp to power on instead of triping the non-existent power antenna that crutchfield apparently states will. I omitted this wire and could not hear sound (for obvious reasons)

Yet another issue is the antenna/vw/german car adapter. It didn't show up until 3 weeks after I recieved my radio. Obviously I purchased one locally as they are very cheap(figure between 5-15$ depending on who your friends are)

Keep in mind that crutchfield will be VERY helpful as I called them at very akward hours and I believe have 24hr support.

Again these are minor issues but I figured I might as well make my first post a helpful one.

Good Luck!
Great help, thanks!

I think I remember reading somewhere that it was almost better to just remove the amp altogether, is that true?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Mxrider503:

Do you have photos of your Kenwood Excellon? I am interested in purchasing that headunit as well. Was it an easy install?

How do you know if you have a Bose system or not? My 1998 ML320 came with a stock cassette radio that has the Weather band channel. Mine is similar to the one in the photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thats the infamous bose cassette player. The amp i believe is somewhere in the dash (or so every non-expert states) when i get to the shop tommorow i will look it up. But if I were to do it all over again (most likeley will) I am going to use KENWOOD DDX7017 DVD + KNA DV4100 NAVIGATION with optional KENWOOD KNA-VC300 VOICE CONTROL MODULE which allows for voice input. Its an investment I know but its a 2 din unit thats takes advantage of that extra space and allows you to play dvds etc etc. The benefits are endless. I am also going to run new speakers as i have bypassed the amp and the speakers just don't sound right i believe the amp converted the input to some frequency specific to bose. My goal was to come up with a solution that could still be made stock should I choose to sell my vehicle (as the resale value isn't really affected by a stereo)

If you don't care about investing approximatley $1200-$2000 on your new setup i suggest ripping everything apart and building your self up from point a-b.

The unit i have now is on ebay for much cheaper then what i paid here http://cgi.ebay.com/Kenwood-Excelon...704985135QQcategoryZ39751QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Changer is still there in my trunk (not being used). I have a 60gig ipod..(do computers for a living [:p]) so cds are little outta date for me. But kenwood makes a nice ipod adapter as well as sirius and worked very well for me.

In the next few months i will be performing many upgrades asthetic as well as mechanical so i will post pics of all my stuff. let me know if you have any more questions or comments.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Follow-up Say good bye to the weather Band and yes it was very easy to install took two weekends to figure out the hum before I just settled for a low....low level hum. Besides new fangled punk kids such as myself listen to music so loud we can't hear low level sound anyways [8D]

·
Registered
SLK55,CayenneS,XKR
1,995 Posts
pointman - 4/3/2006 9:33 AM

scooby, i had a aftermarket head unit in an older ml working off the factory amp. no issues, and nothing special done.
Me 2, Kenwood Mp3 Headunit 1 Din[:)]For more pictures you could check my gallery

·
Registered
327 Posts
alroumi - 4/2/2006 12:39 AM

pointman - 4/3/2006 9:33 AM

scooby, i had a aftermarket head unit in an older ml working off the factory amp. no issues, and nothing special done.
Me 2, Kenwood Mp3 Headunit 1 Din[:)]For more pictures you could check my gallery
What is the model of your Alpine DVD player/monitor?

·
Registered
99 ML320
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The more I read on the unit I ordered, the more I like it! Just found in the manual that it actually comes with an external microphone for the sound-adjusted volume controls. I ordered the ipod interface for it ($79) and an extra aux-in, so now I'm going to sell my Harman Kardon DrivePlay iPod interface. All in all I spent just $294 for the HU, the interface and the aux interface. Free shipping and no tax :)

·
Premium Member
ML430
2,662 Posts
scoobydoo - 4/3/2006 12:33 AM

Mxrider503 - 4/3/2006 12:19 AM

Hi scooby,

Good Luck!
Great help, thanks!

I think I remember reading somewhere that it was almost better to just remove the amp altogether, is that true?
If you plan on changing out the door speakers too, then yes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
hey scooby,
let me know how it all pans out im curious to see if im the only one who had the low humming/static sound.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i tried the low level phonos but to no avail. are their actual gain adjustments on the bose amps?????

1 - 20 of 39 Posts