Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1988 300E
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all!

It's certainly been a while since I've been here. My W124 had a wonderfully expensive little run-in with some concrete back in January. The undercarrige needs to be replaced, and that's going to cost a pretty penny, so for the past 4 months, my Benz has been out of comisson and parked undercover. I've kept after maintaining it while it sits, and I've only driving it when I've absolutely had to. Recently, the tires (Pirelli P6 four seasons on the stock rims) have gone to hell. They've lasted half as long as Discount Tire said they would (and are still under warranty) and I just read some online reviews where the general consensus was that everyone hated the P6. Today, I had Discount do a flat repair on the front two so at the very least they won't be deflating overnight like they had been. So I'm wondering, for those of you who've got wheels similar to mine, what's the best tire out there for the w124, that's not in the "money no object" category? I know how vital the right tires are, and that this is not an area where it pays to be cheap, but bear in mind that I am still just a lowly college student with mere dollars to his name! Thank you all for the help, I really appreciate it.

-Brady

·
Registered
2000 e320 4matic
3,401 Posts
do some research on tirerack. i like the yoko avid h4s.

·
Registered
85 300 TDT
2,260 Posts
I'm a Conti Touring guy myself, but I just purchased a set of Kumho ASXs for my kid's Saab and they came highly rated. And a great price - $68/per.

Agree - just punch in your tire size and do your research on Tire Rack - read the reviews.

·
Registered
1980 240D & 1991 300D 2.5 turbo
7 Posts
I love the set of Yokohama ES100 s that I put on my 300D last year, 20,000km ago. I'll most likely buy them again.

·
Registered
1994 E320, 1993 300E
364 Posts
If you are really looking for a decent tire that won't break the bank, you might try Fuzion HRi's. I put a set on my son's E320 last fall and i have been impressed with the traction, low noise and ride. I might have to put a set on my 300E.
Greg

·
Registered
E500Es
29,576 Posts
I run Kumho ECSTA ASX on the 500E and they have been very very good tires. They are good, all season, good in rain and perform as well as the Pilots that are on my other one. They have seen 145mph in sweepers and are stable as can be. For a 300E or 400E they can be had for under $350 for 4, the set for my 500E, in 17s was still sub $400 on the road.

·
Registered
452 Posts
mcbear said:
I run Kumho ECSTA ASX on the 500E and they have been very very good tires. They are good, all season, good in rain and perform as well as the Pilots that are on my other one. They have seen 145mph in sweepers and are stable as can be. For a 300E or 400E they can be had for under $350 for 4, the set for my 500E, in 17s was still sub $400 on the road.
Mcbear, how do the asx's in the 17's perform in terms of road noise? I need to do tires this week (225/40/R18). I have the Kumho Ecsta Supras right now. They are fairly noisy for my taste, but it may be because they are pretty worn... and they're 40 series...

But after sound deadening my interior and installing a nice sound system, I want to minimize road noise as much as possible...

I was looking at those tires. My friend has them in 17's on his A4 and they aren't noisy at all.

Thanks!~

·
Registered
E500Es
29,576 Posts
Bigpete123 said:
Mcbear, how do the asx's in the 17's perform in terms of road noise? I need to do tires this week (225/40/R18). I have the Kumho Ecsta Supras right now. They are fairly noisy for my taste, but it may be because they are pretty worn... and they're 40 series...

But after sound deadening my interior and installing a nice sound system, I want to minimize road noise as much as possible...

I was looking at those tires. My friend has them in 17's on his A4 and they aren't noisy at all.

Thanks!~
I don't notice road noise with these tires. The Pilots have more, I know that. The ones on the 500E have 6000 miles on them and I can't really speak to how they will sound once deeply worn. I know at sub $400 for four 245/45-17 I have been very pleased. When my SEL gets new rubber it will get the same tires.

Now the Kumho's on my GMC Sierra are pretty loud but they are 20s.

·
Registered
2001 E320; 2002 ML500
1,982 Posts
Love the Yokohama's AVID H4. Had Bridgestone Potenzas before and the Yokos handle better in the wet.

Sergio
'95 E320 189K miles

·
Registered
452 Posts
mcbear said:
I don't notice road noise with these tires. The Pilots have more, I know that. The ones on the 500E have 6000 miles on them and I can't really speak to how they will sound once deeply worn. I know at sub $400 for four 245/45-17 I have been very pleased. When my SEL gets new rubber it will get the same tires.

Now the Kumho's on my GMC Sierra are pretty loud but they are 20s.
Great, thanks. It's nice to get practical advice. There are so many options for tires that I have a hard time weighing everyone's conflicting opinions!

I'll get the ASX's this week.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts