Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping to elicit some advice from the automotive experts here on this board on shocks and ball joints (I have no idea what the latter is other than it appeared in one of the entries in my service record).

Lately, the car is riding a little harsh. However, there is no squeaking noise going over a bump. There is a strange sound coming from below the car whenever I exit, as if the car has been relieved of a load and there is this squeaking sound.

I have reduced tire pressure on my Michelin Sports A/S to 35 PSI (cold) but the harsh ride remains. My front ball joints have been replaced a year ago and the harsh ride seems to come from the rear.

In view of this, are the shocks overdue for change? I was quoted for $127 per shock (KYB) from a mechanic nearby. I thought I would confer with all of you here before committing to changing parts that might not require change.

Many thanks!!!

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Take a look at your shocks and see if they are leaking oil. Also how many miles are on your car? For $127 get yourself a pair of Koni's. They are not much more and are a much better shock.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your advice!

I am sure nothing is leaking, since the pavement is always dry when I drive off. I have 45000 miles on the car now.

I did make a check on the prices of KYB and they are only $47 for one on the internet. The mechanic was sure trying to rip me off at $127 a piece.

Is there no decency for people who repair cars for a living? I am sometimes tempted to overcharge people who come to me for design, but I can't.

·
Registered
SLK in brilli silver
854 Posts
If thats 127 installed thats not a bad price at all. Most places to replace shocks or springs (much cheaper to do at the same time) runs about 400 bucks, then the cost of the shocks/springs. I was quoted between 375-450 here in the bay area just for the install so he is charging 320 which is pretty good in my book if the shock is worth 47 bucks. But as said before koni are a better shock and worth the extra investment. If you have any desire to change the springs now is the time[8D]

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
LeCorbusier - 3/19/2005 2:12 AM

Thanks for your advice!

I am sure nothing is leaking, since the pavement is always dry when I drive off. I have 45000 miles on the car now.

I did make a check on the prices of KYB and they are only $47 for one on the internet. The mechanic was sure trying to rip me off at $127 a piece.

Is there no decency for people who repair cars for a living? I am sometimes tempted to overcharge people who come to me for design, but I can't.
You will not see any fluid on the ground from the shocks, there is not that much oil in them. You got down on the ground where you can get a good look at the shocks.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
I just remembered another test you can try it to bounce the car. Get on a corner and push down on the car, let the car rise back up and on the down motion give it another push. Do this several times using the weight of the car to provide a larger range of motion. If when you let go the car keeps moving up and down and does not settle down almost right away it is time for shocks. With 47k miles it is very possible you need new shocks. I have seen shocks last fewer miles and I have seen them last a lot longer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts