Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Mercedes C280
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, Ive decided to buy smoked corners, tint all my windows after inspection, and black out a some things on my car. I want to black out the chrome and gray binding around the entire car, the front grille, the front hood emblem, the grille looking part under the front license plate, the lip above the rear license plate, the rear benz emblem, and the door handles if possible. Unfortunately, to get it professionally done, it costs a lot of money, and i want it to be my project anyway, so i was wondering if anyone has suggestions on how i can do this... like what kind of paint to buy, steps to take, etc. All help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!:)

·
Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,804 Posts
There are several way, varying in costs.

1) Sandpaper, etching primer, rattle cans. Cheap but prone to flaking and chipping.

2) Dechrome, primer, auto refinishing paint.

3) Dechrome, powdercoat (either low temp powder or parts that than handle 400 degree oven)

4) Dechrome, rechrome in Black Chrome

·
Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,804 Posts
What kind of paint . . rattle can or automotive finish? Most commercial spray cans are pretty much the same in basic formulation, a single stage enamel. There are a few brands of spray epoxy formulated for appliances that are tougher than average enamel.

Automotive finishes from DuPont, PPG, Sikkens, House of Color, etc. will also work. Combine the color coats with a clear.

The paint is the easy part, prepping and prime is where your attention should be.

With powder coating, bead/media blasting takes care of most of the prep. Then you can use one of those free kitchen ovens on your local Craigslist to bake.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts