Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1990 230E & '89 TE
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody

I've been looking for an affordable estate to take my dog out in; he is ruining my saloon with his hair, smells and worst of all I have to drive round with no back seat to fit his cage in! [:(!]

There is a 300TE 4-matic for sale. The seller says the car looks and drives fine but he is sick of spending money on it. It's had all the brake pipes replaced (!), the ABS has an untraceable fault etc. etc.

Am i right in thinking that it's unusual for brake pipes to rot like that? I'm wondering if the car has been driven in, or fallen into, salt water at some time. There is also rust on one wing (fender).

Sorry for rambling on but what do you guys think? Don't touch with a barge pole or proceed with caution? I know nothing about 4-matics either [V]

PS He has had the car for a year and a half and has spent £1000 on it (that doesn't seem a huge amount for an old car to me, is it?)

·
Registered
2000 e320 4matic
3,401 Posts
You don't provide alot of detail (year, miles, service history, etc.) but i dont think 1000 pounds is a lot to spend in a year IF there is no service history. I'd be concerned that he knows a big fix is necessary and isnt telling you. Get a pre purchase inspection.

·
Registered
1990 230E & '89 TE
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Alexnatt :)

131,000 miles
Used daily
MBSH up til 95,000
High spec (leather,alloys,air con, cruise control etc. etc.)

The one thing which is worrying me a lot is that there have been 5 previous owners. I always think that with a Mercedes that means 5 other guys have got sick of paying out for problems. I'll be happy to be corrected on that though.

My own car had 2 owners, each had it for 7 years then bought brand new Mercedes to replace it. It's been trouble free for me.

I'm still worried about the 4matic gizmo.

·
Registered
1990 230E & '89 TE
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks [:)]

After a bit of searching on Google and visiting a UK owners forum I've decided against a 4matic. I saw a lot of posts saying what you just said and other remarks like, "OK if you're a lottery winner", "Hope you've got deep pockets" etc etc.

Thanks for your replies.

PS I feel a bit sorry for the guy who's selling it. He obviously bought it without knowing what it is. He's not an enthusiast or anything [V]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts