Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 S600
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well,

As mentioned in the title, I have a 2005 S600. Love to drive the car. I'd like to replace my COMMAND Head Unit with a more robust system. I currently have controls on the steering wheel, hands-free phone (but no phone that can use it), and voice activation (which I never use). I'd like to get a unit with some improvements:

• Better GPS (current one shows only 2 streets in Guthrie, OK. It's small but not THAT small).
  • Bluetooth phone integration
  • DVD video playback
  • iPod integration
  • USB and/or memory card compatibility of some kind would be a plus.
  • I'd really like to keep my steering wheel stereo controls and hands-free (pipe dream?).

I enjoy my music, but I don't need super bass or for my tunes to be heard two city blocks away. So for me the speakers and such are fine, I just want to see what options I have for a new head unit. I've seen the Kenwood DNX8120 get mentioned a time or two, but what are the other options?

I'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions.

Oh, and can someone confirm/deny that I currently have US COMMAND-APS with a MOST ring? I believe this is the factory installed unit (built-in DVD (reads MP3s) and has the SAT button instead of the TV button with the Navigation DVD in the trunk with the CDC). Sounds silly, but I'm not very technical when it comes to car audio equipment and thought I might as well ask. Heck, I don't even know how many speakers this thing has.

Mike

·
Registered
2005 S600
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So after a week no one has a suggestion or an opinion?

Hmmm. Guess I'm on my own.

·
Registered
2008 R350 - Wife's ride 92&93 190e Project & parts car 2011 F150 Daily
378 Posts
Not an easy task to replace. It would be cheaper to buy a 221 than it would be to replace, rewire and integrate a kenwood nav screen!

·
Registered
2005 S600
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not an easy task to replace. It would be cheaper to buy a 221 than it would be to replace, rewire and integrate a kenwood nav screen!
The w221 COMAND unit is better, but buying a new car to get a better head unit sounds a bit excessive :eek:. Even retro fiting the w221 COMAND to a w220 would be cost prohibitive (dash-top screen and console mounted control knob at least).

I'm sure there are people who have replaced the w220 COMAND unit with something else. I guess they're not happy, not proud, or not talking.

·
Registered
2006 S500 4Matic
178 Posts
There is an Audio and Telematics sub-forum on this board. You might check over there. I haven't changed mine so I have no info other than to say others have done it.

·
Registered
2005 S600
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks bmurphywa.

I posted the question to both forums at the same time. So far I haven't got a single response in the Audio & Telematics Forum.

Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
check out the new Pioneer "F" series...the pioneer avic f900bt has built in gps, bluetooth, and has dvd and ipod playback..the newer ones are even updated with the new 2.0 firmware software

·
Registered
2005 S600 Designo AMG Package
9 Posts
I have the exact same car. I've installed a MB factory bluetooth module (connected to phone cradle) and now I can run my iPhone via bluetooth to my car's telephone system. Works great! It syncs iPhone with car each time I turn the car on. You can even sync multiple phones.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts