Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.6
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The aftermarket radio with CD player my husband had installed in the 190E is not working. The original radio is on a shelf in the garage. A neighbour gentleman said that he would install the original radio back in the car for me. Where removed the old radio he notice does that the wires to the speakers has been cut and spliced to fit the aftermarket one. There is a 4 prong clip that fit the radio and that apparently allows it to light up and choose channels etc. and the code works. The remaining clip that attaches to a vertical set of 3 pins and another one below is a separate cavity is missing. The antenna is not a problem but I am not sure about which is the antenna motor fitting?
A diagram of the wiring connectors for this radio would really help .Thanks to anyone who could help.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hate to be a nuisance but does anyone know which wire goes where on the back of the radio although I guess we can experiment and eventually find the correct pin with out doing any harm. The radio lights up and every thing works except sound and the antenna control.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Check with the MB Classic Center on your radio. They can answer that question for you. BTW, just curious, did your previous alignment issue get solved?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK I will check with MB Classic Center . I have power to the radio and it will scan and light up etc. But no sound for the speakers no matter which way I try to connect the wires to the radio. Maybe my husband changed radio because this one wasn't working. It was several years ago so I don't really remember.
I didn't resolve the steering issue. I received a refund for the alignment but the steering wheel is still not correctly aligned. I am so far from a dealer that it will likely never get fixed.

·
Registered
89 190E 2.6 x2
1,453 Posts
Laura, check out this old post from 2010 by one of my friends w/ the original radio diagram
I wouldn't be surprised if the original one did stop working, it seems to be quite a common issue. Most W201 owners on the forum have aftermarket radios, myself included.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Am ready to give up. My neighbour thinks that the radio is not supplying power to the speakers. Not worth trying to get it fixed I imagine. Too bad as I like to have the car original but will have to look for an aftermarket one I guess.

·
Registered
89 190E 2.6 x2
1,453 Posts
If you want a radio that looks stock, I've seen a lot of people install the Continental radios, although they have to be shipped from Europe. Here's one on ebay

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
1,310 Posts
I've installed a couple Continental headunits. Be mindful if you go this route to make sure it comes with a harness as it's not always included. They do have a nice OE type look, but an Alpine, Kenwood, or Pioneer are better quality with more features for less money. Some don't look too out of place so long as the illumination color can be matched to the car.

Can find Conti here and here in the US.

·
Registered
89 190E 2.6 x2
1,453 Posts
Yes, you definitely pay a premium for the OEM look. Personally, I've always used the top of the line Alpine single-din head units since I'm pretty picky about sound quality.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have a rather large ion of cassette tapes and the tape bin above the radio and I would really like to find a radio with a cassette player. I hope that I am wrong about the OEM one and that it is just a wiring glitch but probably my hopes will be for naught.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Sorry but here I am again! I found a photo of the correct place to plug the speaker wires into on a radio for sale on eBay and it appears that the plugs are similar if not the same as on other Mercedes cars. I will try to source them locally or online. Thanks

·
Registered
260 Posts
You need to have the alignment issue resolved. Not doing so will cause premature tire wear for sure and additional possible issues due to the alignment being incorrect.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
w201fan, Thank you for the concern. The tire shop assured me that while the steering wheel is out of alignment the tires are not. I am not certain that I believe them but I don't have much choice since the dealer is 500 miles away? Unless you live in a remote area with few services, long distances to services and poor roads perhaps it is difficult to understand how difficult it is to maintain a car.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Unfortunately, I think your "alignment" shop has given you more bad advise. You'll need to keep a close eye on your tires to make sure they're wearing properly. If they're not wearing properly, you'll likely need to replace them more often and that will be expensive. Additionally, it's likely your car won't be able to track down roadways in a straight line you you'll be constantly correcting your steering and that can lead to more premature wear. I understand you're in a very remote area but an alignment is basic and necessary auto maintenance. Is there no other alignment shop close by you could take your car to and give them the MB factory settings that the MB Classic Center can provide you with?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
w201fan, Thank you for the advice. Yes there are a couple of garages that advertise wheel alignment but how can I trust them? I am sure that the steering wheel can be centred but then how about the wheels. In any event the car is not driven much anyway so even if they wear unevenly they could easily outlast me.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Over time, the damage will accrue. I would suggest getting the original alignment settings from the MB Classic Center and calling the other alignment shops, explaining what happened and asking if they can put the car back to the original factory settings the MB Classic Center provides you with. That's my suggestion to you.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
From what I have discovered the connectors to the speakers on my Alpine CM2191 radio are DIN connectors commonly used on European sound equipment. They are actually pretty inexpensive and I found what I need on eBay. I just hope that when they arrive they are the correct size.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts