Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing that the car has started to take on some water, I didn't bother taking any pictures of the full intact car. I did however take two pictures of the wheels on the car and I bought the 560sl air dam that was on this car. I bought a few odds and ends while I was there too.

The car is currently complete.
- White exterior (I think it was light blue with a white top)
- Blue MBTex (I think) interior, not bad except carpets
- No rear seat, a parcel shelf with speakers cut into it
- Aftermarket radio
- Cruise control, ~14000 VIN, with later 1973 steering wheel
- carpet in the trunk (gone bad)

The Good I saw:
- good 1973 US Spec bumpers (with bumperettes) and chrome looks good
- Teardrop turn signals that looked good
- Fog lights
- 450SL badged trunk (starting to rust) with a 3rd brake light at rear
- Good headlights and tail lights as far as I could see
- Grill (maybe a metal star instead of the later plastic?)
- Good body panels and glass all around
- I think the dash was good
- Hard top looked good and we had it off the car
- Possibly a good radio. Alpine? CD? Not sure

Definitely bad:
- Soft top (we opened cover to see)
- missing passenger floor carpet

I'm thinking about making a second trip up, and might consider the front bumper to bring mine back to original US Spec. (So there will be an extra front Euro available possibly.)

I don't know if I should rape the car of all it's D-Jet parts or not.

The guy did give me a ballpark number to buy the whole car. So maybe I could pay that number, rape everything I might want and leave him with the remaining carcass.

Is there anything anyone would want? Any offering prices? The guy says he's pretty capable at shipping. So I'm not sure if I'd do the shipping or him. But one way or another, we could get the parts out.

Please let me know if there's anything you want. I will try to make another trip up to his place in the next few days or so. Then I can send detailed pictures.

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
7,141 Posts
^^^
I like those tear-drop turn signals. That is one mod I might consider to my 560. I absolutely HATE the square, "Electrical Box" turn signals hanging off'n the "park Bench Bumper" of the later cars.

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
There must be some parts I could use as spares. But only things I can think of that might be of use, are the ECU including it's harness (in one piece) and the Fuel Pressure Regulator. Don't really need them, but might pay $100 incl USPS Priority Mail to Ontario, Canada.

I already have most other key D-Jet parts like MPS, Trigger pts, Distr, AAV, Inj, etc.

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks MBG. If there are others that have specific items of interest like that, it would be helpful.

Ears, I'll analyse the teardrops next time. Do you want to toss out a number? Feel free to PM, or Email (email is easier for me, especially when I'm on the blackberry).

Pete: Screw You! :) I know my car is not great, but... damned dude!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
If there is carpet in the trunk, which it shouldn't have, I wonder if the original rubber matting is still there (under the carpet). I am looking for the right side piece that fits into the well.

I am also looking for the distributor suppressor (black plastic cover that fits over the distributor).

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If there is carpet in the trunk, which it shouldn't have, I wonder if the original rubber matting is still there (under the carpet). I am looking for the right side piece that fits into the well.

I am also looking for the distributor suppressor (black plastic cover that fits over the distributor).
As you can see by the 560sl air dam I took from this car, it has been "updated" with some 560-style stuff including a third brake light. I think the trunk carpet was another one of these items. I do recall seeing the left side interior bottom of the trunk and it was RUSTY. Keep in mind that this is the location above and to the left of the spare tire well. If this is rusty I can't imagine how bad the lower right and spare tire well are. None the less, I do believe I saw the rubber mat for the lower right section.

If you are looking for a decent mat for the lower right, I could maybe get you the better of the one from this car and my car. The one in my car is good with one possible exception. The slit that goes over the metal that sticks up on the right side. It has torn through on the rear fender side. This is not visible when installed whatsoever. I think I may have created the tear myself just after I bought the car. It was one of my "oh well" moments. If I can get that mat for you, I will be extra careful to NOT tear any more mats.

I've got no idea on the distributor boot cover. This car was in good shape, but did apparently have 250k miles on it. So that's quite a few distributor cap changes IMO.

OK. So I'm starting to get a little list together. It's nowhere near the full car purchase price.

When I schedule my appointment, I'll post the date-time here. If you'd like fast shipping, let me know your phone number and email. That way I can send pictures while I'm there, and I can buy the parts on my first trip there (as opposed to taking pictures, sending them, waiting for a response on whether you want them or not, and then having to go back again). I have no idea how fast the owner would ship. I believe this is a small component of his "business", but it seems more hobby-like. So I simply don't know how fast he'd act.

If you guys can throw some prices at me (via email preferably or PM) I can try to assure I get the parts at or below those prices. I'd prefer not to show up and simply say: "I need this, this, this and this." and let him name the price. I think this is a situation where I'm better off stating the price that is acceptable, and letting him say yes or no. I assume most will be "yes" unless it's unreasonable or a part that would compromise his position (like say taking his hardtop or windows, leaving the interior exposed, or taking the wheels so the car is immobilized).

So Email is best. PM next.
Please send me your email and phone. Email is a heck of a lot easier for me.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Thanks, Mike

I don't think an old used one should be more than $20. So there is my limit. When installed it should just simply look correct. I believe that a tear can probably be repaired.

Loren

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
$20 including shipping? Your profile doesn't list whether you are in the US or not.

You can PM (or email) the price for a distributor cover if you'd like. Not sure if there's one on the car or not. I did have the hood open, but just don't recall.

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No clue on the blower motor, but this car looks like it would have had a working blower when terminally parked. I did notice that the blower motor cover doesn't look much better than mine having one of the corners cracked. So it looks like it will only be 7 (not 8) screws to get in there and check it out. I'll add it to the list of items to check. I will plan on testing it before paying for it.

·
Premium Member
2,440 Posts
If the radio was upgraded, and speakers put into the parcel shelf, could the dash speakers have been upgraded? I'd like a price on them, possibly the whole sound system, too. If no one else has made any prior claims.

Also, what about the windshield washer fluid bottle?

Scott

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That there is some smart thinking on the front Speakers RadioTek! Thanks for the idea. LOL! :)

The washer fluid bottle should be an easy pic.

All claims so far I believe have been publicly posted. You fellas might be smarter to post privately though. (The seller could possibly be reading the thread. Shhh...)

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^^^
I like those tear-drop turn signals. That is one mod I might consider to my 560. I absolutely HATE the square, "Electrical Box" turn signals hanging off'n the "park Bench Bumper" of the later cars.

Hey Ears. Nobody has put in a request for the teardrop turn signals yet. PM me (better yet email me) if interested. I might try to go up there tomorrow.

·
7,141 Posts
Hey Ears. Nobody has put in a request for the teardrop turn signals yet. PM me (better yet email me) if interested. I might try to go up there tomorrow.
Just a passing idea... I'm over it now. Would have to have grill insert as well...

Thanks anyway. Maybe someday. It would look cool.

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just a passing idea... I'm over it now. Would have to have grill insert as well...

Thanks anyway. Maybe someday. It would look cool.
Does anyone even know if you can hang a teardrop under a park bench?

BTW: I hope to have my front bumper available after taking the one form this car. So if you REALLY want teardrops, and small bumpers, now could be the time. I'm just sayin'

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's all I have on the list so far. Not too much, but not bad for a single day.
- trunk rubber mat (lfedje)
- distributor cover (lfedje)
- ECU Including it's harness (MBG)
- Fuel Pressure Regulator (MBG)
- Blower Motor (mikewerks)
- Windshield Washer Fluid Bottle (RadioTek)
- Whole Sound System? (RadioTek)
- Front speakers (RadioTek)
- Front bumper )
- AC Controls & knobs
- Teardrop turn signals

·
7,141 Posts
Here's all I have on the list so far. Not too much, but not bad for a single day.
- trunk rubber mat (lfedje)
- distributor cover (lfedje)
- ECU Including it's harness (MBG)
- Fuel Pressure Regulator (MBG)
- Blower Motor (mikewerks)
- Windshield Washer Fluid Bottle (RadioTek)
- Whole Sound System? (RadioTek)
- Front speakers (RadioTek
- Front bumper
- AC Controls & knobs
- Teardrop turn signals
if you get the teardrops, get the lower grill insert as well... to complete the set-up.

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
if you get the teardrops, get the lower grill insert as well... to complete the set-up.
Lower grill inserts are not there on this parts car. It's about the only thing missing after i took the 560 air dam off this 1973. You must remove the lower grills to install a 560 air dam. (I might have my own laying around though.)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
About this Discussion
47 Replies
15 Participants
ikonnsx31
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing