Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
CLS 55...
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a sedan since I've only have SUV's in my garage. My choices include '02 C240 elegance, '02 C270 CDI avantgarde , '02 Jaguar X-Type 2.0 or Jaguar X-Type 2.5 AWD. Since I will be financing on this purchase, the monthly installments on these vehicles won't be much difference, I only need to put more for the down payment, the most expensive here is the C270. Unfortunately the '03 C class won't be here until January, and the C270 will be on order basis only for '03 with a 3-4 mo waiting period. FYI the C270 has about 400lb/ft which is available at 1800rpm, great for in town traffic. Top speed won't be important to me, since traffic here is pretty bad. I've never driven the X-type but I heard many good things about it expecially the 2.5 with the AWD. I was looking at the BMW325i but my wife said no, and she's keen on the X-type. Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

·
Registered
2015 ML250 BTC
1,314 Posts
"Elegance" . . .what do they call C320?

The diesel option sounds like more torque than a C-class needs, but sounds good. I'd like to have the choice of that option in the U.S. for the ML.

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Easy...

I'd go for the C270CDI. Tons of torque, fast, and yet fuel efficient!

Nah, don't get the Jaguar. It is such a disappointment and there is no way that it can compare with the C-class in terms of safety and comfort. The low roofline makes the interior feel very claustrophobic, and the rear seat is sadly a joke.

I think you may find this comparison quite useful:
http://www.curtrich.com/september2002.html

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
It's just a trim level...

The diesel option sounds like more torque than a C-class needs, but sounds good. I'd like to have the choice of that option in the U.S. for the ML.
Classic being the base, Elegance the more luxurious line, and Avantgarde the Sport model. We have the same differentiations in Canada too [:)]

·
Registered
CLS 55...
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comparisons Drew, but that article is not entirely correct. The X-type does...

Thanks for the comparisons Drew, but that article is not entirely correct. The X-type does have stability control in both AWD and FWD models. It does have rear AC vents, and also it has a 5 speed auto box not an 4 speed autobox although no tiptronic. I had the opportunity in testing a 3.0 unit with AWD and to my surprise it was handling well, acceleration was very good. I agree with you that the rear seating space is minimum but I'll probably mostly be in the driver's seat. Anyway I'm still deciding on the 2 C class models. Unlike in NA, you can't get options on cars bought here unless its specially ordered due to the low volume sales. Here a comparison :

C240 elegance includes :
MB tex seating (not real leather)
semi power seats (seatback and height only)
sunroof
CD changer included ( no command)
elegance trim line
Tiptronic transmission

C270
Leather seating (including steering and shift knob)
Power driver's seat and semi power for passenger
sunroof
CD Changer (no command)
avantegarde trimline (incl. sport suspension )
Tiptronic

The also have a C200 model which I would not consider since its a classic trimline and is a basic model.

Unless they really give me a good deal on the 270 my choices will be limited to the X Type or the 240. The 270 has been sitting in the showroom for 1 year (a few months after I got my ML270). I think the diesel lacks interest here, since diesel engine are usually associate with noise, harsh engine and lack of power. I have the weekend to decide !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts